Will Jalen Hurts be a first round pick?

brownie man

Will Hurts go in the first round?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes he will
    • No not a first rounder

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

73% completion rate says otherwise. His throwing has definitely improved since 'Bama. His yards per attempt average is also over 12, so you can't say that rate is inflated due to short passes.

I’ve watched every game of Hurts career. Nothing has changed except he’s in a QB friendly system and plays a lot of bad defenses. He’s still inconsistent. He struggled mightily without Cede. He’s just not a great passer, Tyrod Taylor but less consistent.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

I’ve watched every game of Hurts career. Nothing has changed except he’s in a QB friendly system and plays a lot of bad defenses. He’s still inconsistent. He struggled mightily without Cede. He’s just not a great passer, Tyrod Taylor but less consistent.

Usually, a player cannot get YAC unless the pass is accurate...a lot of Hurts passes gain YAC. That alone implies accuracy, but people see what they want to see and it's pretty obvious you don't want to see that Hurts has improved since he's been at 'Bama, though the evidence has been staring you in the face via some of these posts and the games he has won despite terrible support from other players (Defense and Offensive Line). 

So, you go on believing what you want to believe. Have fun!

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Usually, a player cannot get YAC unless the pass is accurate...a lot of Hurts passes gain YAC. That alone implies accuracy, but people see what they want to see and it's pretty obvious you don't want to see that Hurts has improved since he's been at 'Bama, though the evidence has been staring you in the face via some of these posts and the games he has won despite terrible support from other players (Defense and Offensive Line). 

So, you go on believing what you want to believe. Have fun!

I love Hurts, which is exactly why I've followed him his entire career. Him cheering on Bama and Tua after he was benched at half time was one of the coolest and best showings of leadership I've ever seen.

I've held the same stance his entire career, he's a limited passer. That hasn't really changed. He's just now in a more pass friendly offense and plays against worse defenses for the most part. Him struggling mightily without CeeDee is just further confirmation. When guys aren't wide open he's not accurate enough to throw them open, I love Jaylen but he won't be a franchise QB and if anyone takes him in the 1st it'll be a huge mistake.

I heard one thing in the media comparing Jalen Hurts to a Lamar Jackson type QB at the next level.

That talk needs to simply stop, they are nothing alike I feel.  Lamar Jackson is probably a 4.2 40 guy if he would have ran, 4.3 at the worst.  The guy has blazing speed and is cat quick in the open field making defenders miss. Jalen is probably a 4.5 at best or 4.6 40 guy and is far more a power run through you runner than run away from you.  Lamar also has a rocket arm, odd release at times but can really get big time velocity and power in his throws that are quite effortless in terms of the motion.  Jalen does not have that smooth of a throwing motion much less the velocity or natural arm talent Lamar has.

Now granted would be interesting if Tebow would play in this time span where defenses cannot hit like they did before and rules have changed to make offense easier to play.  Would be curious if Tebow would be more successful today when the college offensive game and the QB run game is way more prevalent in the NFL.  Granted it is great for Lamar to have an offense focused around him with basically 6 offensive lineman including Ricard at FB/HB who is basically a big guard at that spot.  Oh and three great TEs they can rotate in and out and basically three solid running backs they can rotate as well and a defense who can get to the QB and create turnovers.  

Still to me Hurts is much more like Tebow than Lamar Jackson.  Hurts is a fine leader, a little more calm than Tebow was but a leader and competitor nonetheless.  But like Tebow his arm talent is a little limited and he is arguably better running the ball with power than throwing with touch and accuracy.  And like Tebow hurts is simply not some 4.2 guy either ala Mike Vick.  Similar to Tebow though Hurts has ton to like from the neck up in terms of his preparation, competitiveness, leadership and mental confidence and strength.    

So anyone thinking hey we can pick Jalen Hurts 1st round and build an offense around him like they did with Lamar needs to stop that kind of thinking.  

Honestly the only QBs in college I see with crazy speed and all around athletic ability from the QB position are Malcolm Perry, D'Eriq King and John Rhys Plumlee.  But all will be position changes in the NFL, especially Perry and possibly even King unless he can greatly improve his passing next year for Houston after this taken redshirt year.  Plumlee is a beast runner as well but has not shown much as a passer either obviously but is cat quick with a great burst as a runner but might only be that really.  Lamar Jackson's rare rocket arm and blazing speed does not just come around that often, there is a reason why he is the closest thing to Mike Vick since Mike Vick and Vick was drafted all the way back in 2001.

If he is a late 1st/early 2nd round pick that someone takes and stashes for a year to develop as a passer that would seem like the ideal scenario.

The mental make up is there, the athletic tools are there, but obviously there is more development needed that Riley has started and needs to continue.

Best case scenario is that he goes late 1 to a good team that does not need to force him onto the field week 1.

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Hurts isn't Lamar, but he also is infinitely better as a passer than Tebow.

He is a more athletic Dak Prescott, and a clear cut top 20 pick.

If Marcus Mariota cannot succeed greatly in the NFL what chance does Jalen Hurts have?  Mariota had a better arm in college, better throwing motion, more accurate and consistent passer and even he was mostly a threat based on his run game especially in college with the athletic ability he had.  I questioned his ability to be really get at the next level and same with Jalen Hurts.  Dak Prescott to me was a far better passer than Jalen is in college and a more charismatic leader also.

Jalen Hurts could succeed on the Packers as a backup only possibly, same with the Vikings as a backup maybe but that would be in the 2nd to 3rd round range not 1st round.  Titans would not take a chance on him with what they have went through with Mariota.  Steelers would not because they already let Dobbs go and did not want to hold onto him, Panthers probably not with the issues they have had with Cam and his health.  Bengals will have another QB drafted, same with the Dolphins possibly.  Lions that would be a massive down grade from Stafford so no.  Colts could be a good fit because of the run game and solid offense but honestly some other guys would be a better fit.  Chicago might be the ideal situation, but honestly is his arm better than Trubisky's?  No way, mentally he is tough and he would help that run game and them getting back to more ball control and less quick paced offense possibly.  Then the Saints of course but even there is he any better than an old Teddy Bridgewater, I would say no and they could easily go another direction to a more natural passer in the draft who has a quicker faster release and more talented throwing arm.  Chargers could make sense also but honestly there are better options out there potentially with more arm talent.

So yeah the Bears makes sense but not 1st round to me.  He makes more sense as a 2nd rounder not a franchise type QB because he is not that.  Not sure who are all these other teams who would take him 1st round. 

Heck Brett Hundley, what makes Hurts so much better than him outside of his mental makeup?  Physically they are similar and their arm talent is similar as well much less the size and athletic ability.  

3 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

If it hasn't already been said...

1) Jason Garrett gets fired
2) Cowboys hire Lincoln Riley
3) Dallas says "40 mil lol f u" to Dak
4) Jalen is drafted by Dallas in the late teens / early 20s

I agree Lincoln Riley should be hired, him or at least someone else Garrett needs to go.  But they would be stupid not to pay Dak, he has done everything they have asked and more so.  To can him for just money when they are easily one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL, that would be bull.  I would be very surprised if Jalen Hurts has the same success Dak Prescott has had.  

Guys who have started at least 50 games currently in the NFL, Dak has a better winning percentage than all of these guys.

Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Matthew Stafford
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers
Cam Newton
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kirk Cousins
Marcus Mariota
Nick Foles
Alex Smith

Only ones better than him currently in the NFL are:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Big Ben

To get rid of him for freaking Jalen Hurts?  No thank you.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

If Marcus Mariota cannot succeed greatly in the NFL what chance does Jalen Hurts have?  Mariota had a better arm in college, better throwing motion, more accurate and consistent passer and even he was mostly a threat based on his run game especially in college with the athletic ability he had.  I questioned his ability to be really get at the next level and same with Jalen Hurts.  Dak Prescott to me was a far better passer than Jalen is in college and a more charismatic leader also.

Jalen Hurts could succeed on the Packers as a backup only possibly, same with the Vikings as a backup maybe but that would be in the 2nd to 3rd round range not 1st round.  Titans would not take a chance on him with what they have went through with Mariota.  Steelers would not because they already let Dobbs go and did not want to hold onto him, Panthers probably not with the issues they have had with Cam and his health.  Bengals will have another QB drafted, same with the Dolphins possibly.  Lions that would be a massive down grade from Stafford so no.  Colts could be a good fit because of the run game and solid offense but honestly some other guys would be a better fit.  Chicago might be the ideal situation, but honestly is his arm better than Trubisky's?  No way, mentally he is tough and he would help that run game and them getting back to more ball control and less quick paced offense possibly.  Then the Saints of course but even there is he any better than an old Teddy Bridgewater, I would say no and they could easily go another direction to a more natural passer in the draft who has a quicker faster release and more talented throwing arm.  Chargers could make sense also but honestly there are better options out there potentially with more arm talent.

So yeah the Bears makes sense but not 1st round to me.  He makes more sense as a 2nd rounder not a franchise type QB because he is not that.  Not sure who are all these other teams who would take him 1st round. 

Heck Brett Hundley, what makes Hurts so much better than him outside of his mental makeup?  Physically they are similar and their arm talent is similar as well much less the size and athletic ability.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree Lincoln Riley should be hired, him or at least someone else Garrett needs to go.  But they would be stupid not to pay Dak, he has done everything they have asked and more so.  To can him for just money when they are easily one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL, that would be bull.  I would be very surprised if Jalen Hurts has the same success Dak Prescott has had.  

Guys who have started at least 50 games currently in the NFL, Dak has a better winning percentage than all of these guys.

Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Matthew Stafford
Drew Brees
Eli Manning
Phillip Rivers
Cam Newton
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Kirk Cousins
Marcus Mariota
Nick Foles
Alex Smith

Only ones better than him currently in the NFL are:

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Big Ben

To get rid of him for freaking Jalen Hurts?  No thank you.  

How do you really feel?

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I get Dak is good. But he's not $40 mil good. Lincoln Riley makes every QB look like a star (at least in college). Why pay a good QB elite money when you can get a good QB on a rookie contract for 5 years?

Is Jared Goff worth $33 million a year?  Is Derek Carr worth $25 million a year?   Alex Smith worth $23 million a year?   Is Kirk Cousins worth 28 million a year? All probably not, especially the first three.  Yeah QBs are over paid but Dak is arguably as good as any of these guys if not better.  Sure is probably not worth 40 million but the difference between he and Jalen Hurts is a hell of a lot I feel.  Teams cannot just replace starting young QBs in their prime with some rookie 1st rounder and think everything will be perfectly the same. 

Sure it is easier to play QB in the NFL than ever before arguably, a lot of different guys all have had success and it is surprising.  Look at what Kyle Allen, Jeff Driskel, Brandon Allen, Case Keenum and last year CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens have done.  Still longevity means something and it is not like the Lions are going to just cut ties with Stafford and go with Jeff Driskel for the future just because he is cheaper.  

I will go ahead and say Jalen Hurts will never be as good of a pro QB as Dak Prescott has been.  And I am not some gigantic overall fan of Dak Prescott, but when specifically compared to Jalen Hurts, yeah I am.  

Draft him round 2 or 3, sit him and have him develop into a backup and maybe be a starter in a few years.  Not draft him high 1st round and start him from his first game as a rookie onward.