Will Hurts go in the first round?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes he will
    • No not a first rounder

Just now, DoleINGout said:

nah

and nah

The Judy receiver from Bama will be top four though. After that idk, but those are the first four picks in any order. I'll add that jake Fromm will be a first round pick too.

Agree that Jeudy will go very high.  Disagree on Andrew Thomas(the LT).  I think he is very special and could easily go top 3.  Just depends on team needs.

Right now, I think Fromm is more in that 7-15 range.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

5th overall is his ceiling if Hurts/Young/Tua/Judy all declare or whatever are in the draft.

And I bet the Dolphins package the Steelers and Texans first picks and nab two of the top four. Most likely Chase Young and Hurts but if not Hurts, (biggest mistake they or anyone drafting could make), then they'll go receiver and take Judy.

12 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

5th overall is his ceiling if Hurts/Young/Tua/Judy all declare or whatever are in the draft.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go above 2 of those.  But we will see.

9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

And I bet the Dolphins package the Steelers and Texans first picks and nab two of the top four. Most likely Chase Young and Hurts but if not Hurts, (biggest mistake they or anyone drafting could make), then they'll go receiver and take Judy.

Now this I think would be a terrible mistake by the Dolphins.  They have so many needs that they should stay put and go BPA.  

There's just so much to like about Jalen

Seriously. 

As it stands right now, I'd take him in the 1st. 

But.

Let's not foreordain this guy. He's a very talented athlete, let's sit back and enjoy the show. If he stutters, however, I think the skeptics will come crashing back in. 

I'm posting this right here, right now: I am a Jalen Hurts fan. He's going to be awesome. So I can't say "told you so" if he ever ends up sucking.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:03 PM, Ozzy said:

He was just fine on Alabama last season, just never got the chance to play a ton with Tua around.  PS getting tons of yards on Oklahoma is obviously getting less and less impressive.  Heck even on Washington State a first year starter D1 RS SR is leading the nation in passing, so playing QB especially in college is almost hard to not be successful as long as you have just a little bit of skill.  No way is Hurts a 1st round talent, Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, Fromm, Ehlinger and Burrow are all better than him and no way there are that many QBs picked in the 1st round anyway.

So unless all the big names in the NFL all retire all at the same time at QB next year, there will not be enough even needing QBs to begin with to draft 1st round.  Hurts has increased his stock no doubt but see what he does against Texas and Iowa State the only two teams that are any good at defense they will play all regular season long.  

Ehlinger? He wasn't very impressive against LSU.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, Daniel said:

Meh, I don't think so.  This looks like a QB heavy class if most of the top prospects declare, and there's too much bad tape of Hurts over his career for him to leapfrog Herbert, Tua, or Fromm without a freakish playoff run or one of them really laying some goose eggs and no one else looking better.  Could it happen?  Absolutely.  Do I think it will?  Nope.

I'm far from sold that people aren't overrating Fromm.

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

@HoboRocket @RandyMossIsBoss Hurts is the best combination of traits between mariota and cam newton. Everything people wanted them to be but individually but better as a passer, runner, and leader consistently. Best qb prospect since deshaun watson.

Yep, he's sold me for sure.

Watson was my second-rated QB in 2017. He sold me during the National Championship, and then a bunch of naysayers and nitpickers made me wary again around the time of the Combine. To be fair, the turnover numbers were scary. I finally went fully on-board with him as a top 10 pick the night before the draft, when I watched "One Shot: DeShaun Watson".

I was part of the group that thought Mahomes was the only QB worthy of a top-3 pick. I mean, I don't know why other people didn't see him a mile away. I literally saw ZERO real issues with his game at Texas Tech. He carries the "it" factor, but not as strongly as Watson. His tools were through the roof. His production was through the roof. Yeah, he was Big 12, but that video of him launching the pass 75-80 yards through the air sold me on him completely. I was part of a football sim at the time, and on those forums I still have like three pages of drooling all over Mahomes and Cooper Kupp from February of 2017.

As for Hurts, his running ability is just SO good. He's an easy mover. Doesn't strike me as Lamar Jackson type of lightning, but probably faster than Cam, and, yeah, could be a more physical and consistent version of Mariota. See, the issue with Mariota is that he gets hurt even when he avoids contact. I don't see that with Hurts. Yes, it's still stupid to invite contact, but around the goal line, I could see him being more effective than the Oregon product. 

His passing ability is much-improved, and I'm seeing plenty of positives, but I still haven't seen his new and improved passing against a good defense. Specifically, like @Ozzy said, I want to see what he does against Iowa State and Texas - his ball placement in consistently tighter windows, dealing with a hotter pass rush, etc. Hopefully we get to see him in the playoffs, as well. 

Edited by HoboRocket

11 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

There's just so much to like about Jalen

Seriously. 

As it stands right now, I'd take him in the 1st. 

But.

Let's not foreordain this guy. He's a very talented athlete, let's sit back and enjoy the show. If he stutters, however, I think the skeptics will come crashing back in. 

I'm posting this right here, right now: I am a Jalen Hurts fan. He's going to be awesome. So I can't say "told you so" if he ever ends up sucking.

Belichick was interested in Lamar Jackson. I could see us making a move for Hurts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm far from sold that people aren't overrating Fromm.

That's a pretty popular position, and I get it.  He doesn't appear to have a big arm, and he's surrounded by talent, so it's hard to get a good read on how much he brings to the table.  I very much look forward to seeing his games against Bama (hopefully), Auburn, and Notre Dame.  I want to see him against a really, really stout defense.  Especially since it looks more and more like the Titans might be picking the third QB off the board.

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Belichick was interested in Lamar Jackson. I could see us making a move for Hurts.

Then why did he pass on Lamar at the end of the first? He passed twice. Looks like a huge missed opportunity in hindsight. Even if used as a runningback he might be better than Sony Michel haha.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

yeah he should have picked him.

And there is no way the Patriots will get up to a top-2 pick for Hurts. It’s hard for me to see that happening. Do they have enough draft capital? Idk, but i doubt theyd try. Supposedly they were going to try for Baker if he fell so who knows, but id be so pleasantly surprised if Hurts was on the Pats. Just feel bad for Stidham, he’s like their new Jacoby Brissett.