Will Jalen Hurts be a first round pick?

brownie man

Will Hurts go in the first round?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes he will
    • No not a first rounder

Jalen Hurts is a first overall pick prospect a la Cam Newton except with intangible leadership, poise, moxie, grit, and determination. I’ve said it for a year now. Especially in light of all the Lamar Jackson, RPO, college-to-pro’s trends the last year or so, there is precedent for Hurts to be first or second pick in the 2020 draft with Chase Young. Joe Burrow is looking like the third guy of the top three picks that will eventually get selected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Jalen Hurts is a first overall pick prospect a la Cam Newton except with intangible leadership, poise, moxie, grit, and determination. I’ve said it for a year now. Especially in light of all the Lamar Jackson, RPO, college-to-pro’s trends the last year or so, there is precedent for Hurts to be first or second pick in the 2020 draft with Chase Young. Joe Burrow is looking like the third guy of the top three picks that will eventually get selected.

I'm not seeing this at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Me either.   If he goes in the 1st, I'd like to see him go to NO, LAC, or Indy.

Yeah I am not a huge fan but last night he did show a hell of a lot without Lamb in the game having that out of this world comeback after playing so poorly.  Honestly I would not mind him in the late 2nd to 3rd or 4th round range.  If a team drafts him as a backup guy and a team leader and developmental guy, he could be awesome, if a team thinks of him as a franchise QB they will be disappointed.  

Neck up though, his toughness, leadership and mental strength is really really outstanding.  He can overcome a lot and has and despite mistakes still stays mentally in the game and confident.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

and without a 6'5, 250 lb frame... Cam was a special athlete given his combination of size, strength and speed. Hurts is a good athlete... for a QB.

I agree with the rest though, precedent certainly set for a QB like Hurts to shoot up to #1 pick off merits of 1 season. Still not sure what to think of him.

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

and without a 6'5, 250 lb frame... Cam was a special athlete given his combination of size, strength and speed. Hurts is a good athlete... for a QB.

I agree with the rest though, precedent certainly set for a QB like Hurts to shoot up to #1 pick off merits of 1 season. Still not sure what to think of him.

Hurts is thicc bro.

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Disagree. I think Hurts is a good athlete regardless of position. 

On 11/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, MookieMonstah said:

Hate to say I told you so. Guy is a mediocre passer.

Three points:

- That comeback is going to play huge for him with the scouts. Keeping his head about him in that game holds weight.

- The success of Lamar Jackson is going to push him further up; The blueprint is out there, teams know how to build around Hurts now.

- Don't underestimate the Tua injury. There's now a void for teams looking to draft a QB, especially if Tua sticks around to restore his stock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Three points:

- That comeback is going to play huge for him with the scouts. Keeping his head about him in that game holds weight.

- The success of Lamar Jackson is going to push him further up; The blueprint is out there, teams know how to build around Hurts now.

- Don't underestimate the Tua injury. There's now a void for teams looking to draft a QB, especially if Tua sticks around to restore his stock.

Jaylen isn’t the runner or thrower that Lamar is. You are right though, teams might reach on every mobile QB for the next few years trying to find the next Lamar.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:05 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Jaylen isn’t the runner or thrower that Lamar is. You are right though, teams might reach on every mobile QB for the next few years trying to find the next Lamar.

He is accurate, with a strong arm. While he may not have the speed Lamar has, he is quick enough and very tough.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:05 AM, MookieMonstah said:

Bingo... maybe not Lamar, but look at how Dak Prescott has turned into a guy who is going to dictate the market on QBs. He's a guy without any elite traits, but he's playing at a very high level.

One thing not mentioned much - both Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley are high on Hurts, for his work ethic and football IQ. Both feel as if he's handled his career as well as you can ask, both the highs of being a name early on, to the benching behind Tua, to his transfer to Oklahoma. Through it all, he's been working and making it work - that's the type of disposition you want out of your QB, one who can deal with success and failure.

I have a very strong feeling that Hurts is going to wow a team with his maturity and work ethic. That's worth its weight in diamonds during the scouting season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bingo... maybe not Lamar, but look at how Dak Prescott has turned into a guy who is going to dictate the market on QBs. He's a guy without any elite traits, but he's playing at a very high level.

One thing not mentioned much - both Nick Saban and Lincoln Riley are high on Hurts, for his work ethic and football IQ. Both feel as if he's handled his career as well as you can ask, both the highs of being a name early on, to the benching behind Tua, to his transfer to Oklahoma. Through it all, he's been working and making it work - that's the type of disposition you want out of your QB, one who can deal with success and failure.

I have a very strong feeling that Hurts is going to wow a team with his maturity and work ethic. That's worth its weight in diamonds during the scouting season.

Yup. He is not one you have to worry about with regard to whether they will study film or not....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

He isn’t accurate though, that’s the thing. He isn’t accurate downfield. He’s a nice backup QB/spot starter in the league.

73% completion rate says otherwise. His throwing has definitely improved since 'Bama. His yards per attempt average is also over 12, so you can't say that rate is inflated due to short passes.

Edited by Chrissooner49er