Do NFL executives want a Patriots-Cowboys Super Bowl LIV?

Championshiporbust

I don’t think executives care. Nor am I really even sure who qualifies as an “NFL Executive”, other than Goodell and owners. And I would safely assume that 30/32 owners don’t want a Pats-Cowboys SB.

If we’re just talking about NFL higher-ups who stand to gain from a highly rated SB, then it’d be more exciting for a non-NE opponent to finally get in there. If the Browns make good on their offseason and hype and made it to the SB, that’d bring in a killing IMO. Mahomes coming back with a vengeance. Rivers finally getting there in his twilights years, like Elway. Lamar Jackson’s Ravens proving doubters wrong. NE coming back again doesn't pack the same punch that those storylines do. 

And if they don’t want a defensive slugfest like last year, then they probably don’t want the Cowboys in there either. They have a lot going for them with their large fan base and whatnot but I don’t really view Jason Garrett as a crowd-draw, lol. 

I think watching two offensive juggernauts putting up points on each other or an uncommon underdog that got hot in the playoffs story is the most sellable matchup.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t think executives care. Nor am I really even sure who qualifies as an “NFL Executive”, other than Goodell and owners. And I would safely assume that 30/32 owners don’t want a Pats-Cowboys SB.

If we’re just talking about NFL higher-ups who stand to gain from a highly rated SB, then it’d be more exciting for a non-NE opponent to finally get in there. If the Browns make good on their offseason and hype and made it to the SB, that’d bring in a killing IMO. Mahomes coming back with a vengeance. Rivers finally getting there in his twilights years, like Elway. Lamar Jackson’s Ravens proving doubters wrong. NE coming back again doesn't pack the same punch that those storylines do. 

And if they don’t want a defensive slugfest like last year, then they probably don’t want the Cowboys in there either. They have a lot going for them with their large fan base and whatnot but I don’t really view Jason Garrett as a crowd-draw, lol. 

I think watching two offensive juggernauts putting up points on each other or an uncommon underdog that got hot in the playoffs story is the most sellable matchup.

As somebody who works in sports media I feel obligated to comment on this:

They absolutely want the Cowboys in there over any NFC team. The NFL & FOX (The network carrying the SB this year) would rather have Cowboys and a nothing team like the Titans instead the Eagles/Bears/Packers vs the Patriots or any other bigger name AFC team.

As far as the AFC goes - doesn't really matter that much if the Cowboys were there. My guess is that Cowboys/Browns would be their preferred outcome.

Ideally they would want a team like the Jets to actually be good, but that's not happening this year.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

don’t think executives care. Nor am I really even sure who qualifies as an “NFL Executive”, other than Goodell and owners. And I would safely assume that 30/32 owners don’t want a Pats-Cowboys SB.

Outside of wanting their own team, you would be dead wrong. The Cowboys bring in such a ridiculous amount of money to the league. We make the other owners cash hand over fist. 

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Outside of wanting their own team, you would be dead wrong. The Cowboys bring in such a ridiculous amount of money to the league. We make the other owners cash hand over fist. 

This is both False and True.

If the Cowboys went away tomorrow the league would carry on with barely a blip. People would just root for or against a new team.

The Cowboys have not existed in Championship Game weeks or Super Bowls for 23 years and the league has done just fine. 

What they would miss is Jerry Jones who has made some absolutely incredible deals for the NFL that has made everyone rich.

The top 10 ratings Super Bowls only have a couple Cowboys games (from the 70s)

The Cowboys did clean up on the highest market share games (again, back in the '70s)

The Cowboys did have 2 of the 5 highest rated regular season games in 2018 but that's because the Thanksgiving games are always 1 and 2.

A Thanksgiving day game in Arrowhead every year instead of Dallas would also get huge ratings.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1