Championshiporbust

Do NFL executives want a Patriots-Cowboys Super Bowl LIV?

source.gif

God forbid we take time to develop a young QB and reap the benefits of it slowly in his 4th season

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

7 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

As somebody who works in sports media I feel obligated to comment on this:

They absolutely want the Cowboys in there over any NFC team. The NFL & FOX (The network carrying the SB this year) would rather have Cowboys and a nothing team like the Titans instead the Eagles/Bears/Packers vs the Patriots or any other bigger name AFC team.

As far as the AFC goes - doesn't really matter that much if the Cowboys were there. My guess is that Cowboys/Browns would be their preferred outcome.

Ideally they would want a team like the Jets to actually be good, but that's not happening this year.

Shrug. I think many people view last year’s SB as a snooze fest because there wasn’t a lot of scoring. So I don’t think putting two of the best defenses back into it would remedy that (even though both Pats and Cowboys offenses haven’t had trouble scoring, thus far). NE/DAL doesn’t make for a good matchup on paper, IMO.

I’ll give you that to this point, there’s not a major easy-sell in the NFC to this point, though. Not one that sticks out more than any of the others, amongst the contenders. Obviously if a team like the Giants or the Cardinals got there, it’d be easy to hype, but they’re not getting to the SB. 

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Outside of wanting their own team, you would be dead wrong. The Cowboys bring in such a ridiculous amount of money to the league. We make the other owners cash hand over fist. 

But that’s the point, lol. It’s sort of a big thing to omit.

3 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

source.gif

God forbid we take time to develop a young QB and reap the benefits of it slowly in his 4th season

I'd like to see the Cowboys back on the big stage. They have suffered enough.

11 hours ago, Starless said:

The Patriots have to be considered ratings poison at this point. The last Super Bowl drew the lowest ratings in over a decade. I have to imagine if the Pats get in again, it'll be rated even lower.

Fans are sick of this team. 

Speak for yourself. 

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Outside of wanting their own team, you would be dead wrong. The Cowboys bring in such a ridiculous amount of money to the league. We make the other owners cash hand over fist. 

Jerry? What are YOU doing here?

Edited by rfournier103

12 hours ago, Starless said:

The Patriots have to be considered ratings poison at this point. The last Super Bowl drew the lowest ratings in over a decade. I have to imagine if the Pats get in again, it'll be rated even lower.

Put that more on the Rams not having a fanbase. The highest rated Super Bowl ever featured the Patriots and it was a few years ago 

12 hours ago, Starless said:

Bull****. The TV ratings are going down as more and more people are streaming it.   They and most importantly the advertisers believe total  viewership is up even if TV viewership is down. 

The NFL would like two teams with the most well known players playing. Not even the best teams. Football fans are going to watch, they need to capture non fans and non fans just know names and want to see people they know.   Their dream match up would be the state farm guy against the nationwide guy.   

Does it matter who is in the Super Bowl? Is there any factual evidence that team or market correlates with ratings for THAT game (as opposed to other playoff games and Primetime games, where there surely is correlation)? I mean Denver playing Carolina had better ratings than  a game involving LA. The most watched Super  Bowl was New England vs Seattle. A game involving Atlanta had much higher numbers than a game involving the Eagles. 

You might theorize that the half time show has a bigger affect on ratings than the teams which play the game, as even casual nfl fans are going to watch the game, while fans who don’t care at all about football might tune in for the halftime show. 

Edited by nextsuperstar1

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. I think many people view last year’s SB as a snooze fest because there wasn’t a lot of scoring. So I don’t think putting two of the best defenses back into it would remedy that (even though both Pats and Cowboys offenses haven’t had trouble scoring, thus far). NE/DAL doesn’t make for a good matchup on paper, IMO.

I’ll give you that to this point, there’s not a major easy-sell in the NFC to this point, though. Not one that sticks out more than any of the others, amongst the contenders. Obviously if a team like the Giants or the Cardinals got there, it’d be easy to hype, but they’re not getting to the SB. 

But that’s the point, lol. It’s sort of a big thing to omit.

Last years SB was a true anomaly in how low scoring it was and I don't think that is likely to happen again this year regardless of who the teams are.

And even if it's a lower scoring than average game - that doesn't mean it will be a bad game either. SB42 and SB46 were fairly low scoring games and they are remembered as very good games. Also 98% of the audience that will be watching the SB is not going to be breaking down whether this will be an offensive or defensive game beforehand.

The NFL and FOX would obviously love it if the Giants got there, because they are a marquee franchise representing the largest metropolitan area of the US. While the Cardinals have a certain sex appeal to them right now because of who they have at HC & QB, they aren't going to bring near the ratings that more iconic franchises like the Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Eagles, Packers or 49ers would bring. The Cardinals do not have a large fan base relative to those teams.

Obviously having a great story you can sell about a SB team is nice, but it's nowhere near as important as just having a team in the SB with a large fan base. Pretend that the NFL is the PGA for a minute: The Cowboys are Tiger Woods and the Cardinals are Danny Willet. One is just inherently going to bring in much better ratings than the other if they are contending for a title in the Masters.

41 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Last years SB was a true anomaly in how low scoring it was and I don't think that is likely to happen again this year regardless of who the teams are.

Shrug. I think of it were to happen, of the NFC SB contenders, the Cowboys are team that’d do it. Maybe second to the Bears.

And even if it's a lower scoring than average game - that doesn't mean it will be a bad game either. SB42 and SB46 were fairly low scoring games and they are remembered as very good games. Also 98% of the audience that will be watching the SB is not going to be breaking down whether this will be an offensive or defensive game beforehand.

It’s not that it’d be a bad game if it’s low scoring. It’s that the casual fan likes high scoring games. 

The NFL and FOX would obviously love it if the Giants got there, because they are a marquee franchise representing the largest metropolitan area of the US. While the Cardinals have a certain sex appeal to them right now because of who they have at HC & QB, they aren't going to bring near the ratings that more iconic franchises like the Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Eagles, Packers or 49ers would bring. The Cardinals do not have a large fan base relative to those teams.

Obviously having a great story you can sell about a SB team is nice, but it's nowhere near as important as just having a team in the SB with a large fan base. Pretend that the NFL is the PGA for a minute: The Cowboys are Tiger Woods and the Cardinals are Danny Willet. One is just inherently going to bring in much better ratings than the other if they are contending for a title in the Masters.

I can’t find the fan base #s (only “most loyal” fan bases, which is dumb IMO), but I don’t think the fan bases matter as much as the story. 

Case in point: NE vs ATL and NE vs PHI. Philadelphia’s fan base is bigger than Atlanta’s, I imagine, but the SB vs the Falcons got better ratings. High powered offenses, MVP Matt Ryan, GOAT Brady, etc. The following year, the Eagles face off against the Pats, with a Brady vs Foles matchup. It didn’t get as big a draw. 

You could contribute that to NE fatigue (as the LAR SB got even lower ratings), but you can look at other examples too. The last two Peyton SBs got high ratings against more pedestrian fan bases - why? Because one featured one of the GOAT defenses and the other was a 15-1 team. Check the Indy-Chicago ratings, which were lower, and you can establish it isn’t just a Manning draw. 

Why did the Ravens-49ers smaller fan bases do better than the Patriots-Giants (07) larger fan bases? Because the Giants were looking to get slaughtered. It was Ray’s farewell tour. Harbaugh makes it after a heartbreaking loss the year prior. There was a better story and the game looked to be more competitive.

So yeah, fan bases matter, but they’re not as important as the game or the stories IMO.

Edited by Yin-Yang

20 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

How about Chiefs vs Rams  

I don't think people are excited to see Goff struggle to put up another 3 point effort.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

I don't think people are excited to see Goff struggle to put up another 3 point effort.

The Rams offense is not getting held to 3-points against the Chiefs defense.

They dropped over 50 on it last year.

Edited by Bolts223

If the NFL really wanted Dallas in the Super Bowl they wouldn’t of screwed them in 2014. That was a catch, and yes I understand the rules clearly. Dez 100% caught that ball. And I hate the Cowboys and always root on Green Bay in the playoffs. Dallas matched up really really well with New England and Seattle too. I actually thought that was the weakest of the six New England teams. Could argue 2001 but they had a brutal playoff run they had to run through. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. I think of it were to happen, of the NFC SB contenders, the Cowboys are team that’d do it. Maybe second to the Bears.

It’s not that it’d be a bad game if it’s low scoring. It’s that the casual fan likes high scoring games. 

I can’t find the fan base #s (only “most loyal” fan bases, which is dumb IMO), but I don’t think the fan bases matter as much as the story. 

Case in point: NE vs ATL and NE vs PHI. Philadelphia’s fan base is bigger than Atlanta’s, I imagine, but the SB vs the Falcons got better ratings. High powered offenses, MVP Matt Ryan, GOAT Brady, etc. The following year, the Eagles face off against the Pats, with a Brady vs Foles matchup. It didn’t get as big a draw. 

You could contribute that to NE fatigue (as the LAR SB got even lower ratings), but you can look at other examples too. The last two Peyton SBs got high ratings against more pedestrian fan bases - why? Because one featured one of the GOAT defenses and the other was a 15-1 team. Check the Indy-Chicago ratings, which were lower, and you can establish it isn’t just a Manning draw. 

Why did the Ravens-49ers smaller fan bases do better than the Patriots-Giants (07) larger fan bases? Because the Giants were looking to get slaughtered. It was Ray’s farewell tour. Harbaugh makes it after a heartbreaking loss the year prior. There was a better story and the game looked to be more competitive.

So yeah, fan bases matter, but they’re not as important as the game or the stories IMO.

Fan bases are incredibly UNimportant in the Super Bowl. Everybody watches the game regardless of the fan base. It gets a 65 to 70 share. Regardless of team. May be a storyline helps, but it’s not something so esoteric (from the non-football fan’s prospective) as a “great offense” or Ray Lewis’s final game. Remember those additional fans aren’t NFL fans, all NFL fans are already watching. 

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

The Rams offense is not getting held to 3-points against the Chiefs defense.

They dropped over 50 on it last year.

The last time they were in the Super Bowl they dropped 3. If I want to watch Goff fold like a lawn chair I can go to Home Depot and do it myself.