Do NFL executives want a Patriots-Cowboys Super Bowl LIV?

Championshiporbust

On 9/17/2019 at 5:57 PM, Bolts223 said:

No it's mainly just TV networks that care. Specifically the TV network that is providing the SB for any given year.

Sometimes they do have a lot of influence. The NBA when NBC had it is an example. After ABC got the contract in 02-03, those average Laker teams with just Shaq and Kobe (and a collection of stiffs) didn't win any more titles.

Millions upon millions of people watch no matter who’s playing. I watch no matter who’s playing. 

It’s not like the World Series or NBA Finals. I don’t think the overwhelming majority of Americans really care. Don’t get me wrong; everyone wants their team in, but we all watch even when our team doesn’t make it. 

2 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Don’t get me wrong; everyone wants their team in, but we all watch even when our team doesn’t make it. 

First part, yes. Second part, nope. Most people I know (self included) didn't bother to watch last year's SB, or most prior even, over the last several.

Zero interest in wasting the time on another Pats SB, or the Rams (particularly due to how they got that far). Watched Philly and NE the year before because Philly is interesting, yet didn't bother with the four yrs prior because of zero interest in any of the teams. It's all about matchups and watching if there's a team of interest or not tuning in at all.

Just the way it is with some, when you get older, and perspective puts football in its lower tier. You like the teams you like, and don't need to use SBs as an excuse for entertainment.. socially or otherwise. Better things to do.

Does anyone really remember or care who wins SBs year to year... several months or more after the events? Great, if your team wears the crown in the end, but the warm and fuzzy fades quickly.  

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

First part, yes. Second part, nope. Most people I know (self included) didn't bother to watch last year's SB, or most prior even, over the last several.

Zero interest in wasting the time on another Pats SB, or the Rams (particularly due to how they got that far). Watched Philly and NE the year before because Philly is interesting, yet didn't bother with the four yrs prior because of zero interest in any of the teams. It's all about matchups and watching if there's a team of interest or not tuning in at all.

Just the way it is with some, when you get older, and perspective puts football in its lower tier. You like the teams you like, and don't need to use SBs as an excuse for entertainment.. socially or otherwise. Better things to do.

Does anyone really remember or care who wins SBs year to year... several months or more after the events? Great, if your team wears the crown in the end, but the warm and fuzzy fades quickly.  

yep, same. The super bowl itself is kinda gross actually. Product is just way too much.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Shrug. I think of it were to happen, of the NFC SB contenders, the Cowboys are team that’d do it. Maybe second to the Bears.

It’s not that it’d be a bad game if it’s low scoring. It’s that the casual fan likes high scoring games. 

I can’t find the fan base #s (only “most loyal” fan bases, which is dumb IMO), but I don’t think the fan bases matter as much as the story. 

Case in point: NE vs ATL and NE vs PHI. Philadelphia’s fan base is bigger than Atlanta’s, I imagine, but the SB vs the Falcons got better ratings. High powered offenses, MVP Matt Ryan, GOAT Brady, etc. The following year, the Eagles face off against the Pats, with a Brady vs Foles matchup. It didn’t get as big a draw. 

You could contribute that to NE fatigue (as the LAR SB got even lower ratings), but you can look at other examples too. The last two Peyton SBs got high ratings against more pedestrian fan bases - why? Because one featured one of the GOAT defenses and the other was a 15-1 team. Check the Indy-Chicago ratings, which were lower, and you can establish it isn’t just a Manning draw. 

Why did the Ravens-49ers smaller fan bases do better than the Patriots-Giants (07) larger fan bases? Because the Giants were looking to get slaughtered. It was Ray’s farewell tour. Harbaugh makes it after a heartbreaking loss the year prior. There was a better story and the game looked to be more competitive.

So yeah, fan bases matter, but they’re not as important as the game or the stories IMO.

Quality breakdown here. Good stuff.