Jalen Ramsey requests trade from Jaguars

TitanLegend

3 hours ago, pwny said:

I get that it's easy to blame Jalen for this because he's an outspoken player, but this is clearly a Jaguars management issue that starts with Tom Coughlin and goes all the way down. 

Evidence:

Following the 2017 season, the Jaguars wanted to resign Allen Robinson. They offered him a deal that turned out to be identical to the deal he took from the Bears to leave. Sources later came out with rumors that Robinson hated the team and was going to do anything he could to leave. Many brushed these off as rumors, but it fits with the pattern we would see later.

In early 2018, they restructured Marcedes Lewis's deal to free cap space. Within a month, Marcedes - who is normally a completely softspoken player - had a massive argument with the front office about a roster decision and asked to be released.

In the middle of the 2018 season, Dante Fowler was traded to the Rams. After being traded, Fowler went on a rant about how he was treated by the Jaguars front office after his injury, claiming that they treated him like he didn't belong as part of the team.

Near the end of the 2018 season, Malik Jackson became increasingly angry at the team for how he was handled as a member of the team. He made it clear that the team wasn't treating him with respect as he thought he deserved and felt like he was no longer a member of the team.

After the 2018 season, the Jaguars removed the guarantee language from Leonard Fournette's contract. The Jaguars and Fournette had a meeting to discuss this. The Jaguars followed up with a press conference in which they stated that the team and Fournette had come to a complete understanding. Two hours later, Fournette filed a lawsuit against the team for breach of contract.

During voluntary workouts, Ramsey was working with his dad, as he does every year. Coughlin took to the media to berate Ramsey for not showing up to - again - voluntary workouts. 

In late April, Telvin Smith decided to take the year off. While not a lot is known about why he is taking the year off, other than him stating he wants to focus on himself, what is known is that he refused to talk to the team about why he was taking time off. While several sources were able to find out about the hiatus before it happened, the Jaguars front office remained in the dark until he made the announcement. As if Telvin was fed up with the team. The team later fined Telvin for not showing up to mandatory camp, despite knowing he was taking the year off.

Jalen went to the team to ask for a contract extension and was told that under no circumstance would he get a contract this year. 

Yannick Ngakoue held out asking for a new contract. The team was unable to come to terms, and Yan returned to the team stating that he didn't know if he would ever get an extension from the team. The team instead chose to give Myles Jack a brand new contract that paid him the third-highest AAV in the league's history.

After their big argument on Sunday, both Doug Marrone and Jalen stated that they had not spoken since then. 

During Jalen's press conference, multiple Jaguars players sat in with the media - including Myles Jack. That never happens, and really can only be viewed as a show of solidarity with Ramsey.

And now it came out that Jalen requested a trade because of something Tom Coughlin said to him after the game. And Alfie Crow is reporting that Jalen isn't the only player currently extremely frustrated with Coughlin.

What a complete disaster of an organization top to bottom. Coughlin is a joke. Shad Khan is a joke for not stepping in and dealing with this before it got this far.

This post just flipped me back onto the Ramsey for a 1st & 2nd bandwagon for the Ravens. Some of Ramsey’s comments post draft, his fights, and this incident, etc made me question if he wasn’t the best player to go off on the deep end.

This info and all the players that also feel similarly make me feel more comfortable with our front office swinging for the fences with this one.

edit: Marlon Humphrey, Jalen Ramsey, Brandon Carr, and Jimmy Smith all at corner... that would be a stacked unit with speed, savvy, quickness, and toughness. Would be very difficult to throw on. Especially with Earl Thomas providing help over the top.

Edited by diamondbull424

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Some of Ramsey’s comments post draft, his fights, and this incident, etc made me question if he wasn’t the best player to go off on the deep end.

I will say that a lot of this either gets misconstrued or misses the point. 

Jalen's job is ultimately to disrupt passing games. He does that not only with his physical traits, but he also throws guys off their game. You get in a guy's head and then you start hitting him harder, he starts getting mad, may e a little unsure of getting hit, and suddenly you've taken him off his game and can completely shut him down. Jalen wants to win. It's priority #1 for him, and he does everything he can to help facilitate that.

Then a lot of the stuff he says often gets taken out of context because he's loud. Like for instance, his first game in the NFL was against the Packers. Someone asked him if he was scared having to face Aaron Rodgers, and he replied with a statement that was essentially "I don't play scared, I don't think I could be effective if I allowed myself to be afraid of the opponents I'm facing. And I hope he throws at me, because that will be a great test to find out if I can hang in this league." A completely innocuous statement, but it got portrayed as if he said "I'm not afraid of that loser Aaron Rodgers. I dare him to test me." I'm not saying everything he has said has been like that, but when you trash talk sometimes, everything else often gets taken as if you're trying to trash talk all the times. 

There's really only been one incident with him where I would say he went too far. It was training camp last year; some other players on the team had gotten into fights throughout the day, and the last one between Fowler and Ngakoue got pretty heated. Jalen saw a reporter filming and told him to knock it off. After the reporter posted it on Twitter, Jalen said some really unprofessional things to him. That was completely inexcusable, but really outside of that, there's been nothing where I would take umbrage with what he's done. He doesn't get in trouble for taking cheap shots at players, he doesn't get in trouble with the law, he doesn't create problems in the locker room. He talks trash and sometimes gives a guy a pop through the whistle. 

But I think the big thing with Jalen, and it even shows through with the bad example I mentioned - he cares about his teammates. He yelled at a reporter because the video getting out made his guys look bad. He's one of the first guys over there when a teammate is in a skirmish, there to back them up. And in my 25 years of watching football, I have never seen another player that even comes close to matching how Jalen goes to bat for other players when it comes to contracts. He is constantly being a hype man for his teammates to get new deals or extensions. Even this week, when Jalen had his presser about him asking for a trade, he constantly plugged that he wanted to see Yannick get the extension he deserves. You wont find many, if any, players that will plug how they want to see their teammates get paid.

Could Jalen stand to be quiet more often? It would probably do his image good. But I think when it comes to the team, and the players around him, they eat that up. He brings an extremely high level of energy. It works because at the end of the day, all those guys in that locker room know he has their back and he just wants to win.

I say this all as a fan who in all likelihood just watched him play his last snap for my favorite team. If you're a fan of any team that thinks they can be good now, you want Jalen on your team. He's a special player, and the negatives - unless you're a crotchety senile senior citizen like Coughlin - are not what they've been portrayed to be. I've been a Jaguars fan for 25 years, and I think after a decade on this forum and 71,000 posts, everyone on this forum should know how deeply I love this team. But if Jalen is gone, I'm not going to follow this team until everyone in the front office and coaching staff is fired. In the interim, I'll be following whichever team he ends up playing for. That's how strongly I believe that this team screwed up beyond comprehension with this whole situation; I'm not even having fun with Minshewmania, knowing it's being run by Coughlin.

• Like 3

Still don’t want Ramsey but I’d be willing to do something like this if we address WR in FA:

Bears 1st and Bears 3rd for Ramsey

Sign AJ Green and Robby Anderson in Free Agency

Draft EDGE Chase Young with our own 1st Rounder, we’ll have to be a Top 3 bad team. 

Roll with Carr 2020 (will make a lot of you happy)

If Carr doesn’t have a 35 TD 8 INT 8.5 YPA 4500 yard type season with those three receivers, Jacobs, and that OL, trade our WHOLE draft for Trevor Lawrence 2021. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Still don’t want Ramsey but I’d be willing to do something like this if we address WR in FA:

Draft EDGE Chase Young with our own 1st Rounder, we’ll have to be a Top 3 bad team. 

If Carr doesn’t have a 35 TD 8 INT 8.5 YPA 4500 yard type season with those three receivers, Jacobs, and that OL, trade our WHOLE draft for Trevor Lawrence 2021. 

I really don't think a team is getting him for a 1sr and 3rd but I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pwny said:

I will say that a lot of this either gets misconstrued or misses the point. 

Jalen's job is ultimately to disrupt passing games. He does that not only with his physical traits, but he also throws guys off their game. You get in a guy's head and then you start hitting him harder, he starts getting mad, may e a little unsure of getting hit, and suddenly you've taken him off his game and can completely shut him down. Jalen wants to win. It's priority #1 for him, and he does everything he can to help facilitate that.

Then a lot of the stuff he says often gets taken out of context because he's loud. Like for instance, his first game in the NFL was against the Packers. Someone asked him if he was scared having to face Aaron Rodgers, and he replied with a statement that was essentially "I don't play scared, I don't think I could be effective if I allowed myself to be afraid of the opponents I'm facing. And I hope he throws at me, because that will be a great test to find out if I can hang in this league." A completely innocuous statement, but it got portrayed as if he said "I'm not afraid of that loser Aaron Rodgers. I dare him to test me." I'm not saying everything he has said has been like that, but when you trash talk sometimes, everything else often gets taken as if you're trying to trash talk all the times. 

There's really only been one incident with him where I would say he went too far. It was training camp last year; some other players on the team had gotten into fights throughout the day, and the last one between Fowler and Ngakoue got pretty heated. Jalen saw a reporter filming and told him to knock it off. After the reporter posted it on Twitter, Jalen said some really unprofessional things to him. That was completely inexcusable, but really outside of that, there's been nothing where I would take umbrage with what he's done. He doesn't get in trouble for taking cheap shots at players, he doesn't get in trouble with the law, he doesn't create problems in the locker room. He talks trash and sometimes gives a guy a pop through the whistle. 

But I think the big thing with Jalen, and it even shows through with the bad example I mentioned - he cares about his teammates. He yelled at a reporter because the video getting out made his guys look bad. He's one of the first guys over there when a teammate is in a skirmish, there to back them up. And in my 25 years of watching football, I have never seen another player that even comes close to matching how Jalen goes to bat for other players when it comes to contracts. He is constantly being a hype man for his teammates to get new deals or extensions. Even this week, when Jalen had his presser about him asking for a trade, he constantly plugged that he wanted to see Yannick get the extension he deserves. You wont find many, if any, players that will plug how they want to see their teammates get paid.

Could Jalen stand to be quiet more often? It would probably do his image good. But I think when it comes to the team, and the players around him, they eat that up. He brings an extremely high level of energy. It works because at the end of the day, all those guys in that locker room know he has their back and he just wants to win.

I say this all as a fan who in all likelihood just watched him play his last snap for my favorite team. If you're a fan of any team that thinks they can be good now, you want Jalen on your team. He's a special player, and the negatives - unless you're a crotchety senile senior citizen like Coughlin - are not what they've been portrayed to be. I've been a Jaguars fan for 25 years, and I think after a decade on this forum and 71,000 posts, everyone on this forum should know how deeply I love this team. But if Jalen is gone, I'm not going to follow this team until everyone in the front office and coaching staff is fired. In the interim, I'll be following whichever team he ends up playing for. That's how strongly I believe that this team screwed up beyond comprehension with this whole situation; I'm not even having fun with Minshewmania, knowing it's being run by Coughlin.

+1

Well in that case, after all you said, I hope you’ll next be a Ravens fan. A lot of Florida people have converted and I’m down with making that our second home.

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Whoops meant to post that in the Raider thread. 

Ramsey is one of the better players to be on the block in recent memory. A top 25 player in this league who is not even 25 years old. I'm surprised there are only 6 teams linked to him as serious bidders and not 31.

Since the Eagles have shown interest, I will now be pretty disappointed if it's something like a 1st + 5th and we were not willing to beat the offer. Of course if a team like team like the Raiders really want him, they will get him. They have the cap space, and project to have better draft picks, can't beat them in a bidding war.

Edit: ok that Mack guy was pretty good too I guess...

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Ramsey is one of the better players to be on the block in recent memory. A top 25 player in this league who is not even 25 years old. I'm surprised there are only 6 teams linked to him as serious bidders and not 31.

Since the Eagles have shown interest, I will now be pretty disappointed if it's something like a 1st + 5th and we were not willing to beat the offer. Of course if a team like team like the Raiders really want him, they will get him. They have the cap space, and project to have better draft picks, can't beat them in a bidding war.

Edit: ok that Mack guy was pretty good too I guess...

I'd have to imagine all 31 teams or most of them made offers.

The six being reported are probably the best offers.

As others have said, I wonder if the AB situation has reduced the market for Jalen somewhat... teams are worried about adding a headcase. Doesn't help that most teams are weary about giving too many assets for a player that they'll also need to give a huge contract to.

13 hours ago, pwny said:

I get that it's easy to blame Jalen for this because he's an outspoken player, but this is clearly a Jaguars management issue that starts with Tom Coughlin and goes all the way down. 

Evidence:

Following the 2017 season, the Jaguars wanted to resign Allen Robinson. They offered him a deal that turned out to be identical to the deal he took from the Bears to leave. Sources later came out with rumors that Robinson hated the team and was going to do anything he could to leave. Many brushed these off as rumors, but it fits with the pattern we would see later.

In early 2018, they restructured Marcedes Lewis's deal to free cap space. Within a month, Marcedes - who is normally a completely softspoken player - had a massive argument with the front office about a roster decision and asked to be released.

In the middle of the 2018 season, Dante Fowler was traded to the Rams. After being traded, Fowler went on a rant about how he was treated by the Jaguars front office after his injury, claiming that they treated him like he didn't belong as part of the team.

Near the end of the 2018 season, Malik Jackson became increasingly angry at the team for how he was handled as a member of the team. He made it clear that the team wasn't treating him with respect as he thought he deserved and felt like he was no longer a member of the team.

After the 2018 season, the Jaguars removed the guarantee language from Leonard Fournette's contract. The Jaguars and Fournette had a meeting to discuss this. The Jaguars followed up with a press conference in which they stated that the team and Fournette had come to a complete understanding. Two hours later, Fournette filed a lawsuit against the team for breach of contract.

During voluntary workouts, Ramsey was working with his dad, as he does every year. Coughlin took to the media to berate Ramsey for not showing up to - again - voluntary workouts. 

In late April, Telvin Smith decided to take the year off. While not a lot is known about why he is taking the year off, other than him stating he wants to focus on himself, what is known is that he refused to talk to the team about why he was taking time off. While several sources were able to find out about the hiatus before it happened, the Jaguars front office remained in the dark until he made the announcement. As if Telvin was fed up with the team. The team later fined Telvin for not showing up to mandatory camp, despite knowing he was taking the year off.

Jalen went to the team to ask for a contract extension and was told that under no circumstance would he get a contract this year. 

Yannick Ngakoue held out asking for a new contract. The team was unable to come to terms, and Yan returned to the team stating that he didn't know if he would ever get an extension from the team. The team instead chose to give Myles Jack a brand new contract that paid him the third-highest AAV in the league's history.

After their big argument on Sunday, both Doug Marrone and Jalen stated that they had not spoken since then. 

During Jalen's press conference, multiple Jaguars players sat in with the media - including Myles Jack. That never happens, and really can only be viewed as a show of solidarity with Ramsey.

And now it came out that Jalen requested a trade because of something Tom Coughlin said to him after the game. And Alfie Crow is reporting that Jalen isn't the only player currently extremely frustrated with Coughlin.

What a complete disaster of an organization top to bottom. Coughlin is a joke. Shad Khan is a joke for not stepping in and dealing with this before it got this far.

Good read right here. It sounds like a pattern of disconnection here, which is something that Coughlin led teams tend to fall into - let's remember, before the helmet catch SB victory, the Giants locker room was having similar issues. Tiki Barber was pretty vocal on that aspect of it when he retired, he was pretty up front on it leading into that SB season. 

Coughlin has always been a stickler for structure and discipline (only way to be on time is to be five minutes early) which can really work if you have guys buy into it and you're winning football games. If that's not happening, then you're in a spot where things like this can happen.

My question is - if they grant Ramsay his trade request (which they most certainly will, from what is being floated out there) who follows suit? Does Yannick Ngakoue try to force his way out? How about Leonard Fournette? Brandon Linder?

That's the slippery slope that should be interesting to watch.