Hoping We Struck GOLD With Rudolph... Steelers visiting 49ers : Week 3 GDT

steelcurtain29

32 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

This game was lost in the first half. Let's be honest. The team had a chance to be up 14 - 0 or 10 - 0. The offense couldn't get moving and again, the defense was out there a long time.  They kept SF in the game and allowed them to stay with their game-plan.  The Steelers offense made mistakes in the second half and the defense began to wear down and follow suit.  Big difference, our red zone turnovers and points off of turnovers: 6 points.  San Francisco's points off of turnovers 14 points. That is the ball game folks. The team has not played great, but really should be 2-1.  As someone posed earlier very much like last year with close losses and giving games away. 

The defense was not great, but played well enough to win, they didn't get help on offense consistently.  Again, self imposed gunshots with the  turnovers that led to points.  You gotta want it.  The 49'ers willed their way to a win, and we found another way to beat ourselves.  The offense has got to get it together and this football team has to learn to play as a complete team. 

Say what you want, Minkah Fitzpatrick is a very good player and pick for the Steelers.  We won't draft a better player than he is and he is a strong building block for the defense.  No guarantees with draft choices.  I hate losing a number one, but you have a very good player.

Definitely a big part of the game was your squad not being able to take advantage of the 1st half turnovers. 

I mean in a way yes, you guys could be 2-1, but the Niners had a comedy of errors in the RZ. Let's be real, one team was moving the ball at will while the other was struggling all game long. I think if you guys won, it would have been more so due to the sloppy play of the Niners. I mean we outgained you guys by almost 200 yards and had a TOP advantage of 13 minutes.

Saying that, the team definitely showed a lot of fight today and that DL is real. I thought the OL was really good as well until midway through the 3rd quarter when Bosa kind of started having his way as well as Buckner. Fitzpatrick looked good as did Haden. I respect that you guys will still try to stay competitive and won't just give in as many teams do in this situation. Good luck rest of the way! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely a big part of the game was your squad not being able to take advantage of the 1st half turnovers. 

I mean in a way yes, you guys could be 2-1, but the Niners had a comedy of errors in the RZ.

Some of that was self inflicted and some was our defense jumping out on you.  Six turnovers and 6 points out of it is pathetic!!!!  I think the Steelers are the first team to lose a game with a plus four turnover ratio in quite some time.

Let's be real, one team was moving the ball at will while the other was struggling all game long.

Part of your offense moving the ball was our defense being on the field so much because our offense couldn't do jack!

I think if you guys won, it would have been more so due to the sloppy play of the Niners. I mean we outgained you guys by almost 200 yards and had a TOP advantage of 13 minutes.

That is my point.  You should not have a TOP advantage or yardage advantage turning the ball over six times. Our defense got wore down again due to being on the field against another physical Offensive team. You guys ran well and used that to set up the pass. Your chances to score points goes way down when your offense is not on the field. Your offense was on the field more and you had more opportunities because we couldn't ven flip the field at times. The failure to convert on third downs killed us early.

Saying that, the team definitely showed a lot of fight today and that DL is real. I thought the OL was really good as well until midway through the 3rd quarter when Bosa kind of started having his way as well as Buckner. Fitzpatrick looked good as did Haden. I respect that you guys will still try to stay competitive and won't just give in as many teams do in this situation. Good luck rest of the way! 

Good luck to you as well. No doubt, your DL started to tee off and gave our OL problems. It didn't take a rocket scientist to guess that we couldn't run and you would force Mason to beat you with his arm.  He made a few good throws, but the fact we couldn't stay on the field and establish the run hurt our offensive balance.

14 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Good luck to you as well. No doubt, your DL started to tee off and gave our OL problems. It didn't take a rocket scientist to guess that we couldn't run and you would force Mason to beat you with his arm.  He made a few good throws, but the fact we couldn't stay on the field and establish the run hurt our offensive balance.

Oh yeah, I mean the Fitzpatrick INT and then the fumbled forced on Mostert was obviously a credit to your defense. But then the INT where Breida popped the ball in the air, the QB/C exchange that went bad and then the last turnover where the ball was snapped into the body of James was self-inflicting and flat out embarrassing. A team having THREE turnovers of that just doesn't ever happen.

I think the offense was just too conservative to start the game. I get that Rudolph was making his first start, but the OL was protecting well so the offense should have been opened up a bit more. Towards the end of the game more shots started being called, especially when Witherspoon went out of the game so that is a plus if I'm a Steelers fan. Going forward, Rudolph will have his struggles but have to give him a chance to succeed by being more aggressive. Since the run game for some reason has not gotten going, I don't understand how you play the conservative game managing style successfully. Rudolph may prove to not be the answer as even the back up QB, but let him prove that one way or another.

One thing I wouldn't knock him for is not being able to move the ball since the Bucs/Bengals were unable to do so either. The Niners defense seems to be very legit, though only way to truly know is once they play the top 10 offenses.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah, I mean the Fitzpatrick INT and then the fumbled forced on Mostert was obviously a credit to your defense. But then the INT where Breida popped the ball in the air, the QB/C exchange that went bad and then the last turnover where the ball was snapped into the body of James was self-inflicting and flat out embarrassing. A team having THREE turnovers of that just doesn't ever happen.

I think the offense was just too conservative to start the game. I get that Rudolph was making his first start, but the OL was protecting well so the offense should have been opened up a bit more. Towards the end of the game more shots started being called, especially when Witherspoon went out of the game so that is a plus if I'm a Steelers fan. Going forward, Rudolph will have his struggles but have to give him a chance to succeed by being more aggressive. Since the run game for some reason has not gotten going, I don't understand how you play the conservative game managing style successfully. Rudolph may prove to not be the answer as even the back up QB, but let him prove that one way or another.

One thing I wouldn't knock him for is not being able to move the ball since the Bucs/Bengals were unable to do so either. The Niners defense seems to be very legit, though only way to truly know is once they play the top 10 offenses.

49ers easily out physical'd the steeler sin this game, mashing them at the point in the run game quite often. They are a physical team while the steelers are soft and tire later in the game.  I haven't watched all the other teams, but the steelers might be in the bottom half of the league when it is ranked for physicality, quite a difference compared to say 10+ years ago and beyond. 

I'm just curious, has there been any word on why Jaylen Samuels isn't getting any touches? I thought that was kind of insane. In the 49er pod, I talked about him being the player I was more concerned about between he and Connor, and then he went out and had 0 touches. Has any explanation been given on that? 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm just curious, has there been any word on why Jaylen Samuels isn't getting any touches? I thought that was kind of insane. In the 49er pod, I talked about him being the player I was more concerned about between he and Connor, and then he went out and had 0 touches. Has any explanation been given on that? 

We have always used RBs poorly....at least under Tomlin.

• Like 2

I come in peace, I am at work and was unable to watch the game.  When things like this happen I keep update by browsing FF and sometimes venture into the other teams forum to hope to get a more balanced view of things.  This has been the best team sub forum (after the 49ers of course) that I have found, I am not saying this to take away any sting of the game but I have really enjoyed the pages that I have read here.  I do also share the main sentiment of Tomlin, I have never been much of a fan of his... I cannot deny the success that he has had but I do not believe that he was responsible for the teams previous success.  Here is to hopping that things turn around for you guys.  

Your forum is a breath of fresh air and I would still hope for your success even if you were division rivals.... luckily the rams and seahawks sub forums are easy to pull against.  I know you guys still have good talent and pieces to build around, you arnt where we where 3 years ago.  

5 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I shudder to think how bad things would have been if Mason Rudolph prepared like fat, lazy Ben and just went out there and winged it.

I think determination and preparation only goes so far anyways.  Here , the OC is terrible and I am not too happy with the lack running gamed to the OL lack of  blocking in the run game. They really have taken a nose dive this year and I have had enough of the media saying the OL is great or one of the best. They "were", as in last year with munchak, not now at all though. This is really bothering me already , and it's only week 3.   How tomlin plays sense instead of samuels is beyond understandable. Maybe the poster here was onto something about samuels, could the be in the doghouse and we are just learning about it? Connor is hurt, so that doesn't help either. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

we are all waiting on this.  Add to all this is that Connor was hurt and earlier in the week wasn't expected to play either.  Samuels is a highly underrated player, excellent receiver and decent RB. 

3 hours ago, burlow said:

you arnt where we where 3 years ago. 

and we never won anything then either.  This regime is really lacking, maybe this season will be a fail to the point rooney finally kicks colbert, tomlin and co to the curb. Maybe keep a few positional coaches, but I doubt it since most coaches bring in their own people. Of course we need to remember that richter is safe since ehe was handpicked by ben and ben will save this team next year:D

14 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

Yeah I didn’t get the game plan. Was it a bad game plan, are they worried about Rudolph’s arm strength, or did Rudolph just suck.

They played against Rudolph's strengths and kept with the ultra conservative gameplan even when it was obvious it wasnt working.  

Rudolph didnt play great, but with an inexperienced backup QB, you need a smart OC to figure out how to get him into a rhythm, and Fitchner absolutely shat the bed.

• Like 2