Trade Demands (Ramsey, etc.) - Who should the Lions trade for?

Karnage84

44 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Hasn't that always been what they're looking for? I thought they had turned down an offer for a 1st already. I don't recall changing anything.

I'm not suggesting that it's a move I would make as the Lions. However, if the Lions did make that offer, even if the 2nd was a 2021 2nd, I would take it if I am Washington.

@BZski offered a 2nd and Decker. My point was they've already turned down more.

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Hasn't that always been what they're looking for? I thought they had turned down an offer for a 1st already. I don't recall changing anything.

I'm not suggesting that it's a move I would make as the Lions. However, if the Lions did make that offer, even if the 2nd was a 2021 2nd, I would take it if I am Washington.

They turned down a Patriots 1st rd pick. That was before the season. Trent Williams is showing no signs of showing up, the Redskins are bad and looks like they will be making changes and rebuilding. A Lions 2020 2nd rd pick and Taylor Decker I think would entice the Redskins. Decker is an average LT that is young and adding a 2nd rd pick I think should get the deal done. The Redskins will not get a 1st rd pick for Williams at this point.

5 minutes ago, BZski said:

They turned down a Patriots 1st rd pick. That was before the season. Trent Williams is showing no signs of showing up, the Redskins are bad and looks like they will be making changes and rebuilding. A Lions 2020 2nd rd pick and Taylor Decker I think would entice the Redskins. Decker is an average LT that is young and adding a 2nd rd pick I think should get the deal done. The Redskins will not get a 1st rd pick for Williams at this point.

You could be right. They could also just hold on out of spite. Williams isn't costing them very much at all while he isn't playing. It's like a $3.5M cap hit as opposed to the $13M hit if he was on the field.

So far, the Lions OL hasn't shown a reason for the team to need to make that kind of move. It could all be fools gold and Stafford will get banged up in the next few weeks against the Vikings and the Bears. However, a 1st round pick  is an expensive price for a team that wants to build through the draft. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Also, not really "trade" talk, but Jay Ajayi has announced that he's ready to join a team. He might want a shot with a team where he'd be the lead back but I would have zero issues bringing him in. I believe that we had Kerryon, CJ, Ty and JD all available and on the roster earlier in the year. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to manage with Ajayi if he's good to go.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, Karnage84 said:

Also, not really "trade" talk, but Jay Ajayi has announced that he's ready to join a team. He might want a shot with a team where he'd be the lead back but I would have zero issues bringing him in. I believe that we had Kerryon, CJ, Ty and JD all available and on the roster earlier in the year. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to manage with Ajayi if he's good to go.

Go out and sign some guys that have upside and provide real depth. WR Laquan Treadwell, WR/KR Bruce Ellington, T Matt Kalil, RB Jay Ajayi, OG Chance Warmack.

Different thread but hey, I'm going to piggy back you and say go get guys. They're on the street and we need help still. We've got two weeks to get them into the fold... Idk, would be a really wise move at this point.

Treadwell was resigned by the Vikings not long after that post but, the other four are out there still. There still other guys though, LB Mason Foster, DT Muhammad Wilkinson, S Eric Berry... Idk. Just names maybe but dudes I found surprising to be available. 

Also, just make the damn trade for Jalen Ramsey already. We all want him. I wanna see a division title and a home playoff game with a win!

Edited by SimbaWho

17 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Different thread but hey, I'm going to piggy back you and say go get guys. They're on the street and we need help still. We've got two weeks to get them into the fold... Idk, would be a really wise move at this point.

Treadwell was resigned by the Vikings not long after that post but, the other four are out there still.

Also, just make the damn trade for Jalen Ramsey already. We all want him. I wanna see a division title and a home playoff game with a win!

I don't want Ramsey if it takes 2 firsts.  Or even a 1st and a 2nd.  We need good players but we don't need big contracts and picks both spent on one player.  We still aren't a player away IMO. 

I agree on getting some of the others.  I know Warmack and Kalil are older and sort of have been busts, but would add to our OL depth and potential starter group.  Ajayi I am not sure really would bring much that we don't have now with McKisic. 

3 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Treadwell was resigned by the Vikings not long after this post but, the other four are out there still.

If we ignore particular FA's, which positions do you think need an upgrade to make us a proper contender?

- LB: I like the combo of Kennard, Davis and Tavai. We're going to need to add someone here to replace Christian Jones anyway. He also hasn't stood out positively or negatively to me. An upgrade here should help

- Speed WR: We have an offense that has been able to stretch the field vertically, which has been awesome. We still need a legit speed weapon to take the top off of the defense. Marvin Hall does bring this to the team but I'd like to look at a guy like John Ross. He'd be a veteran guy that shouldn't cost too much to take from Cincy, who are clearly in rebuilding mode. If Amendola is out for any period of time and/or if Hock struggles to get back on the field, that'd be a good piece on the offense

- DB: Our secondary has balled out and shown a lot of promise over the last few weeks. It would all depend on what the deal is with Diggs and Slay. If either guy is out for a period of time, we probably need to seriously look at adding someone. Otherwise, these guys are playing within the defense and doing a really good job against very difficult opponents. Kelce and Ertz are both going to be HOF level guys and neither did a ton compared to what they're capable of.

The OL has played really well this season outside of some plays week 1 against Chandler Jones and Suggs and week 4 vs Chris Jones. Stafford has not been getting beaten up like he has in years past. Dahl and Wiggins are both getting play time and Crosby looked good in relief of Decker. Outside of Ragnow, no one else looks on track for a Pro Bowl but good enough to not be a knee jerk replacement

While I do want to bring in Ajayi, I doubt it will happen. KJ has been getting the Lion's share of carries (pun intended) and then mixing in Ty Johnson, McKissic and Bawden. You aren't benching KJ, Ty has a speed element neither guy offers, McKissic seems to have a package of plays designed for him and this is a team that wants to use a FB. Unless they make a trade for a guy like Melvin Gordon on the cheap, you're not likely replacing any of these guys without an injury taking place.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't want Ramsey if it takes 2 firsts.  Or even a 1st and a 2nd.  We need good players but we don't need big contracts and picks both spent on one player.  We still aren't a player away IMO. 

I agree on getting some of the others.  I know Warmack and Kalil are older and sort of have been busts, but would add to our OL depth and potential starter group.  Ajayi I am not sure really would bring much that we don't have now with McKisic. 

A 1st, future 2nd and a player wouldn't be a terrible deal if Slay is out for a period of time or the Lions think Ramsey is the key to the division. I agree with you though, I don't think we're just one guy away and we have some big decisions to make on expiring contracts in 2020 and 2021.

Warmack and Kalil could be depth guys but neither is going to change the offense much. I think our RB group isn't really going to change barring injury.

3 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Chiefs haven't been able to come to a long-term contract with Chris Jones.  That guy is a game-wrecker and would probably be better in Patricia's Defense than the 4-3 he is playing in now.  If we don't trade for him, we should sign him as a free agent.

Spotrac has a market value for Jones at about $18M. Chances are he'll get signed for closer to $20M when all is said and done.

Flowers - $16.7

Snacks - $11.75

Okwara - $4.1

Jones - $20M

You're looking at nearly $53M tied up in the DL group without including guys like A'Shawn or Hand.

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah Idk, I think we're closer to 1 player away this year than any other. We've got a real shot at the division. Next season is next season and who knows what position we'll be in. We need guys this year that'll help push us over the hump. Especially! If we pull off a win against GB in 2 weeks. 

The picks don't help at all this year. If you don't think Lions can win the division either way I get it. But 2 future 1st rdp's aren't helping the Lions win a division this year. Lions are actually positioning themselves very well for a division run. 

Depending on how the season shakes out at the end... There's options with Slay as well. (Resign/Trade/Do nothing)

Edited by SimbaWho

13 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah Idk, I think we're closer to 1 player away this year than any other. We've got a real shot at the division. Next season is next season and who knows what position we'll be in. We need guys this year that'll help push us over the hump. Especially! If we pull off a win against GB in 2 weeks. 

The picks don't help at all this year. If you don't think Lions can win the division either way I get it. But 2 future 1st rdp's aren't helping the Lions win a division this year. Lions are actually positioning themselves very well for a division run. 

Depending on how the season shakes out at the end... There's options with Slay as well. (Resign/Trade/Do nothing)

I get picks don't do anything now, but it appears we are building something and Quinn has hit on his picks more often than not.  I am not jumping on the kool aid bandwagon yet as there are still just too many holes on this team.  We did let Kyler Murray look like a stud and come back and tie us.  We still struggle with game management and when/what situations to challenge, we still have multiple holes I think we need to fill.  If we are going to trade picks, I would rather trade lesser picks for solid vets on decent contracts opposed to a bunch of picks for one player that costs a lot.  I don't think Ramsey makes us a super bowl contender, or at least doesn't move the needle enough to risk our future.  Our CBs have played well, if there was a big hole, I'd be more willing but I have been happy with the DB play even with Slay out last week.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get picks don't do anything now, but it appears we are building something and Quinn has hit on his picks more often than not.  I am not jumping on the kool aid bandwagon yet as there are still just too many holes on this team.  We did let Kyler Murray look like a stud and come back and tie us.  We still struggle with game management and when/what situations to challenge, we still have multiple holes I think we need to fill.  If we are going to trade picks, I would rather trade lesser picks for solid vets on decent contracts opposed to a bunch of picks for one player that costs a lot.  I don't think Ramsey makes us a super bowl contender, or at least doesn't move the needle enough to risk our future.  Our CBs have played well, if there was a big hole, I'd be more willing but I have been happy with the DB play even with Slay out last week.

Yep. Agreed on all of that.

I actually think if we go for a cb we should go for Xavien Howard instead of Ramsey. will costs less and Howard is already under contract. if we offered the dolphins our 1st for Howard and DeVante Parker. that would be totally worth it. Parker would look good with Jones Golladay and the O. .. Howard would be Slays crime in partner.