GDT Week 3: Denver Broncos @ Green Bay Packers

thebestever6

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This really isn't the ideal scheme to be built around two EDGEs and it's why I think it's almost a waste for everyone if they don't eventually trade Von. Justin Hollins is a pretty good fit for the Floyd role, he's a fluid athlete with some bend and can probably do the job fine with development. You feel okay with Malik Reed as the primary reserve behind them. There's no question this defense is better right now if we had a great 3-Tech or linebacker instead of the second edge rusher. 

Who's dealt first in your opinion Von or CHJ?

Who opens up the negotiation windows between the two.

Edited by thebestever6

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Cough *ILB* Cough

The thing is, the Fangio scheme makes the ILB the cornerstone of the D in funneling the run and pass coverage short-intermediate with their zone scheme.  That unfortunately actually plays into Jewell's weakest part of his game.  He's still a solid contributor, but he's more a supporting cast type guy in this D (and wasn't supposed to the lynchpin).  The problem is, the scheme really exposes how bad our ILB play is.  Corey Nelson was an abomination after Jewell got hurt.  And Todd Davis is a pure classic 2-down thumper, he's completely lost in space - which the scheme requires the ILB's to be comfortable with. 

That bad ILB play then negates the pass rush - because the short stuff is free and open for the QB's to attack, and get rid of the ball in 2-2.5 secs - negating our EDGE's.   Now that's also on the EDGE's to recognize when a blocking TE peels off the block - and Chubb and the other ILB's have missed on that count several times in Week 2.   The DE's and EDGE's aren't also getting their hands up in the lanes to make the short stuff harder to defend, they're used to getting to the QB in time, they aren't used to getting their hands in passing lanes, which is what the Fangio scheme calls for inside.   So it really compounds the problem.   Either way, though - no excuses.   The D isn't getting it done at an elite, or even "good" level in pass rush or short stuff pass defense.   Ugh all around. 

Also, the DL. In that case, it's not taking the proper steps. Sure, they've spent Day 2 picks on guys. But Dre'Mont and DeMarcus are not and probably will never be every down 3-4 ends who you can depend on to two-gap when they're asked to. I like Dre'Mont's potential as a pass rusher but that's the role he would be effective in, not as a run stopper. Shelby Harris is miscast as a NT right now. You want a guy who can penetrate but they also need to be able to hold their ground and he's not that guy. He's more of a Wade NT. Gotsis is stuck in JAG territory with occasional splash moments and Wolfe clearly is one of the guys who the team needs to move on from ASAP. So, in the end, what do you really have there? Right now they're consistently losing their matchups and all three starters are in contract years. They probably need three new starters. Maybe if Gotsis has a small market, you re-sign him. 

42 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

but it's very concerning that they aren't creating those opportunities themselves. I actually liked the design of quite and few of their rushes yesterday, particularly in the 3rd quarter. The scheme is being executed, the players just aren't making plays. It's also very obvious which positions the front office has taken no steps to solidify. 

Thats what bothers me. Granted, we may not have the best front 7 for the scheme but it's certainly good enough for more than 1 or 2 QB hits so far.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Thats what bothers me. Granted, we may not have the best front 7 for the scheme but it's certainly good enough for more than 1 or 2 QB hits so far.

I'm not shocked by the poor front 7 for this scheme. It goes beyond poor drafting.  4 different head coaches since 2011. 

I get Collar is a constant.  

Dennis Allen, Jack Del Rio, Wade Phillips, Joe Woods, now ed Donatell. 

5 defensive coordinators since 2011 I believe  .

Edited by thebestever6

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm not shocked by the poor front 7 for this scheme. It goes beyond poor drafting.  4 different head coaches since 2011. 

I get Collar is a constant.  

Dennis Allen, Jack Del Rio, Wade Phillips, Joe Woods, now ed Donatell. 

5 defensive coordinators since 2011 I believe  .

Well, Woods and VJ basically ran Wade's defense, just for whatever reason with even less help for corners even after losing Talib, and without Wade's sense of timing in calling plays. I think continuity on defense definitely helps, but not having it isn't an absolute killer the way it is for offense where you need the live reps to get the timing down. 

But continuity for this entire team is going to be important. The program needs to be in place through the end of 2020 before there are even discussions about possible changes, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

We will take one Emmanuel Sanders please and thank you.

What would you like in return?

We'd probably take a Day 2 pick and a nice hoagie with that Wisconsin cheese, please.

Elway, on the other hand......thinks we're still a win-now team.  Hopefully he changes his mind soon.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

We'd probably take a Day 2 pick and a nice hoagie with that Wisconsin cheese, please.

Elway, on the other hand......thinks we're still a win-now team.  Hopefully he changes his mind soon.

How about a conditional 4th that can be a 3rd if he catches 10+ passes in the postseason for us ;)

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well, Woods and VJ basically ran Wade's defense, just for whatever reason with even less help for corners even after losing Talib, and without Wade's sense of timing in calling plays. I think continuity on defense definitely helps, but not having it isn't an absolute killer the way it is for offense where you need the live reps to get the timing down. 

But continuity for this entire team is going to be important. The program needs to be in place through the end of 2020 before there are even discussions about possible changes, in my opinion.

I'd take that a step further. Give him 4 years to get his guys and fully implement both offensive and defensive philosophies. The 1 and 2 year commitments reek of the 60's Bronco's. We need stability to compete. 

12 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'd take that a step further. Give him 4 years to get his guys and fully implement both offensive and defensive philosophies. The 1 and 2 year commitments reek of the 60's Bronco's. We need stability to compete. 

I wouldn't go that far. I think you need to see progress in Year 2. You need to see real positive indicators that the team is headed in the right direction by December of that second year. And there are a lot of ways to measure that outside of wins. But if it looks like the team is regressing after 32 games in the schemes, change has to be on the table. 

• Like 1