GDT Week 3: Denver Broncos @ Green Bay Packers

thebestever6

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We have no choice if we want Jones playing past Oct. He's kinda fragile.

It's fair to timeshare him for games when they are the favorite - but Lafleur was talking about the entire season as a 50-50 mix.    Williams is JAG.     It's pretty telling for a key intra-divisional game like MIN, they leaned on Jones more.   He's just a better player.   The days of a 3-down bellcow are rare, and agree that Jones' MCL history says he's not going to be a 300 carry guy - but 50-50 season long is just crazy.   The additional context is that Matt Lafleur thought it was best to timeshare Derrick Henry & Dion Lewis for 13 games - it took a historic TNF performance and their season on the line Week 13 before Lafleur got away from that dreadful decision.   That context suggests that Lafleur is just a timeshare advocate, because there's no argument that Henry shouldn't be a workhorse over Lewis. 

Having said that, if the game gets away from us early, those are the games to timeshare lesser talents.  No argument there.   But it would be shocking to see Williams & Jones with a 50-50 split at end of season.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Gotta feel bad for Bolles getting absolutely savaged like that. Nothing wrong with not being good enough at one of the toughest positions at the highest level. It's still Elway that evaluated him

To be fair to Elway (who I’m not ever going to absolve him for his drafting woes Day 2 pre-2018) the response was to Bolles’ Postgame interview saying he was being targeted by the refs and he didn’t agree that he has a reputation for holding.    Those were 2 absolutely ridiculous statements to make that show zero accountability or insight. 

The comments made speak directly to that interview.   If it was just performance you don’t call a player out in public.   But given Bolles’ interview started off with those 2 statements on the refs targeting him and him saying a rep for holding was undeserved, Elway’s response was more than appropriate.   It also doesn’t absolve him from making the pick, though.  Agreed 100 percent there.  

Edited by Broncofan

DaeSean Hamilton's numbers: 10 targets, 4 rec for 20 yards, 1 dropped TD

He's not helping and he doesn't create any matchup problems. I would work to get Freeman & Lindsay on the field together at least 10-12 plays and find creative ways to get them in space. Hamilton looks like he's following in the footsteps of all our other post-Welker slots who basically gave the team nothing. Haven't been impressed. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

DaeSean Hamilton's numbers: 10 targets, 4 rec for 20 yards, 1 dropped TD

He's not helping and he doesn't create any matchup problems. I would work to get Freeman & Lindsay on the field together at least 10-12 plays and find creative ways to get them in space. Hamilton looks like he's following in the footsteps of all our other post-Welker slots who basically gave the team nothing. Haven't been impressed. 

Given it’s year 2 I’m willing to give him all of this year to show he can be a viable slot guy.   If he isn’t showing any development then we certainly can dive back into a very deep WR class.  

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given it’s year 2 I’m willing to give him all of this year to show he can be a viable slot guy.   If he isn’t showing any development then we certainly can dive back into a very deep WR class.  

Think that's happening regardless. WR corps desperately needs a guy with speed and quickness going forward. 

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Think that's happening regardless. WR corps desperately needs a guy with speed and quickness going forward. 

Yeah more do we look for a boundary vs slot guy.   But I agree WR burner is a target.  The only guy with any juice on the squad is Spencer and he makes T.Y. Hilton look like a TE.   Plus route running not the same on the CFL running starts, wider fields and no press coverage.  

24 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think you could say that with most positions. Our roster is very thin in most spots, and all positions on both sides of the ball are still learning assignments, not to mention the learning curve for our OC and HC.

IMO 2019 is simply an audition for next year. Give our staff a season to identify all the personnel deficiencies. What we see now won't have nearly the impact on decisions as what we see in the last half of the season.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair to Elway (who I’m not ever going to absolve him for his drafting woes Day 2 pre-2018) the response was to Bolles’ Postgame interview saying he was being targeted by the refs and he didn’t agree that he has a reputation for holding.    Those were 2 absolutely ridiculous statements to make that show zero accountability or insight. 

The comments made speak directly to that interview.   If it was just performance you don’t call a player out in public.   But given Bolles’ interview started off with those 2 statements on the refs targeting him and him saying a rep for holding was undeserved, Elway’s response was more than appropriate.   It also doesn’t absolve him from making the pick, though.  Agreed 100 percent there.  

Yeah totally fair 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, champ11 said:

Gotta feel bad for Bolles getting absolutely savaged like that. Nothing wrong with not being good enough at one of the toughest positions at the highest level. It's still Elway that evaluated him

I get it, but don’t really feel bad.  I don’t think that it is because he isn’t good enough, I think it’s because he’s stubborn and doesn’t take to coaching.  Bolles physically is exceptional.  He is undersized, but there is absolutely no reason he is getting beat the way he is and holding the way he is.  He just doesn’t understand the game and hasn’t made improvements in his technique.  There was a play last week where the man he was blocking had no shot at making a play on the football, the play went away from him, and Bolles took him to the ground and was completely out of position on his block.  His hand use is literally always in a hug position.  His hands are literally never inside, they’re always wrapped.  

He plays hard, no doubt.  But he doesn’t seem to be able to play smart.  As I said before there is a difference between playing hard and playing stupid and he hasn’t/can’t figure that out.  When a run play is away from you to get called for a hold by taking a defender to the ground is just stupid football.  I love his tenacity, but come on man, you have to understand the situation.  Further after having 11 more holding penalties than the next guy, he still thinks he’s being picked on?.....figure it out and quit being stubborn and difficult to coach which is all that is coming out from Denver right now.  Denver’s staff and players are frustrated as hell because Bolles should be a good NFL LT.

• Like 1

WR is another area of focus going forward for this team. I see a lot of people, especially on Twitter, talking about all the young skills players on offense. Freeman, Lindsey, Sutton, Fant. That's a nice group of 4, but beyond that, WR is bare bones. Denver would be foolish to bring Sanders back, unless the cost is low and the commitment isn't long-term, but I've not seen much out of Hamilton this year whatsoever. 

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

WR is another area of focus going forward for this team. I see a lot of people, especially on Twitter, talking about all the young skills players on offense. Freeman, Lindsey, Sutton, Fant. That's a nice group of 4, but beyond that, WR is bare bones. Denver would be foolish to bring Sanders back, unless the cost is low and the commitment isn't long-term, but I've not seen much out of Hamilton this year whatsoever. 

No doubt wr is a need I'm just not sure if slot is the type to even be looking for. This offense doesn't seem to feature them. 

Long term I think Sutton profiles as a high end possession number 2 type. 

A true all around number 1 would be nice or a smaller speedy guy would be nice.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Agreed.  Outside of the trenches and QB if Denver were picking top 5 I would think Jeudy would be under strong consideration.