New optimism regarding Teddy B.

Mid Iowa

So, as all of you know, I have been the ultimate skeptic of Teddy Bridgewater. Being just a few hours from the twin cities, I've watched him play plenty live, and in my nightmares.

Here's why I have a newfound optimism:

Mike Zimmer

^^This guy has screwed up more QB selections than the Browns, for God's sake. From the dismissal of Teddy Bridgewater, to giving up a first-round for Bradford, and then keeping Cousins, I think we just might be onto something!

Okay, maybe I was pushing it with the Browns comment, but you get the picture.

I'm looking forward to see what Teddy can do after taking first-string reps for an entire week. Having the coaching staff plan the playbook around him, not Brees, who's clearly a different player. Actually giving him a chance to develop some timing with the receivers, running backs, and the o-line.

I'm giving this thing another whirl, not like we have a choice, but optimistically.

Bridgewater sucks.

Was at the game yesterday watching receivers running wide open everywhere and Teddy Bedwetter not hitting a single one.

He's indecisive. No accuracy. Doesn't go thru reads. Doesn't throw his receivers open. Doesn't step up in the pocket. Panics in the pocket. Dude is just plain garbage. 

If Brees played, we blow Seattle out by 50. Not even kidding how many wide open receivers there were that Teddy never saw. 

He's just lucky Kamara bailed his butt out the whole game. 

3 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Bridgewater sucks.

Was at the game yesterday watching receivers running wide open everywhere and Teddy Bedwetter not hitting a single one.

He's indecisive. No accuracy. Doesn't go thru reads. Doesn't throw his receivers open. Doesn't step up in the pocket. Panics in the pocket. Dude is just plain garbage. 

If Brees played, we blow Seattle out by 50. Not even kidding how many wide open receivers there were that Teddy never saw. 

He's just lucky Kamara bailed his butt out the whole game. 

Not surprised to hear that.  He was super check down.  Though I did really like that pass that was on Cook's back hip outside of the range of the defender and Cook turned around too late to get it.  

October 28th, 2018 - Saints @ Vikings (Saints win by 10)

• Drew Brees
    • 18/23
    • 120 yards (5.2 YPA)
    • 1 touchdown (3 yard bomb to Kamara)
    • 1 interception (unsure of circumstances)

• Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram combined for 168 scrimmage yards and 2 TDs
  • PJ Williams more or less "iced" the game with a pick 6, turning our 7 point lead into a 14 point lead well into the 3rd quarter. 

Folks had no issues with Brees in the GDT. He got the job done. 

December 9th 2018 - Saints @ Buccaneers (Saints win by 14 [Lattimore INT in the endzone on a near TD on the final play would've made it 7 points])

• Drew Brees
    • 24/31
    • 201 yards (6.4 YPA)
    • 2 touchdown (1 yard bomb to Zach Line and one QB sneak on the goal line)
    • 1 interception and 1 fumble (unsure of circumstances)

• Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram and Zach Line combined for 148 scrimmage yards and 2 TDs
  • Taysom Hill blocked a punt to spark an otherwise cold, dead Saints team back to life.

September 20th 2019 - Saints @ Seahawks (Saints win by 6 [Saints lead by 12 with :00 on the clock, and the Seahawks scored on the final untimed down])

• Teddy Bridgewater
    • 19/27
    • 177 yards (6.6 YPA)
    • 2 touchdown (Screen passes to Kamara and Thomas)
    • No turnovers

• Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram Latavius Murray combined for 163 scrimmage yards and 2 TDs
  • Harris took a punt return in for a TD to leapfrog the Saints first drive (but fumbled away a punt later) and the Vonn Bell scored on a fumble recovery. 

Folks says Teddy sucks. 

I see a disconnect. 

Let's give him some time, folks.

Payton beamed and said he was "Proud" of the way Teddy played. Payton hasn't been afraid to bring up issues he has with players in the past. He's usually pretty honest in the press conference about what he wasn't happy with. 

Let's see what he's got for us next week. Brees set the bar so low with last years outing, Teddy has a shot at reaching it. Maybe this time we win lol. 

Edited by Dome

8 hours ago, Dome said:

October 28th, 2018 - Saints @ Vikings (Saints win by 10)

• Drew Brees
    • 18/23
    • 120 yards (5.2 YPA)
    • 1 touchdown (3 yard bomb to Kamara)
    • 1 interception (unsure of circumstances)

• Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram combined for 168 scrimmage yards and 2 TDs
  • PJ Williams more or less "iced" the game with a pick 6, turning our 7 point lead into a 14 point lead well into the 3rd quarter. 

Brees was smack dab in the middle of a 10 game winning streak.

8 hours ago, Dome said:

December 9th 2018 - Saints @ Buccaneers (Saints win by 14 [Lattimore INT in the endzone on a near TD on the final play would've made it 7 points])

• Drew Brees
    • 24/31
    • 201 yards (6.4 YPA)
    • 2 touchdown (1 yard bomb to Zach Line and one QB sneak on the goal line)
    • 1 interception and 1 fumble (unsure of circumstances)

• Alvin Kamara, Mark Ingram and Zach Line combined for 148 scrimmage yards and 2 TDs
  • Taysom Hill blocked a punt to spark an otherwise cold, dead Saints team back to life.

A complete shutdown like these last 2 weeks is on coaching. It’s a locker room problem, a motivation problem, a leadership problem.

You blamed it on coaching and leadership - But now Payton is smiling about Bridge and it's all good.

You went on to say:

Its so frustrating when you KNOW something, and an NFL coach disagrees lol

And BTW, go review that game day thread, and you'll see issues with Brees. "trying to do too much" and "such a bad pick" and "I can't believe what I'm watching"

So, we're all guilty of what we think the issue is. I just can't keep my mouth shut when I literally see with my eyes what I've been talking about for so long.

27 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Brees was smack dab in the middle of a 10 game winning streak.

All the more reason he should've been running like a well oiled machine then, right?

But here we are looking at 120 yards and just as many turnovers as TDs.

14 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

You blamed it on coaching and leadership - But now Payton is smiling about Bridge and it's all good.

Because one game went worse than expected (we were not meeting expectations), the other went better than expected (we were exceeding expectations).

So it makes sense I'm going to judge them differently.

I must admit I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here.

15 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

And BTW, go review that game day thread, and you'll see issues with Brees. "trying to do too much" and "such a bad pick" and "I can't believe what I'm watching"

Of course that happens during the game. I'm talking about after, when emotions have settled and people are thinking clearly. 

People accept that Brees got the job done, chalk it up as a success and moves on. I didn't see anyone talking after the game about Brees games sucked or anything like that. He got the job done in less than ideal conditions and pulled out the win. Just an off the cuff comment or two as it happened live.

He made some mistakes, but people are willing to overlook them cause the end result was a win. A lesser QB with less starting experience is getting tougher criticism after playing a better game in a tougher environment.  WOOOOOF. :D

So, we're all guilty of what we think the issue is. I just can't keep my mouth shut when I literally see with my eyes what I've been talking about for so long.

But what I'm saying is, I think you could've seen a very similar game from Brees. It's 100% in the realm of possibility.

He's posted statistically similar games against tough conditions/locations in the past, we've seen it on numerous occasions.

He's actually lost the last 3 times we were in Seattle.

So as much as Teddy "sucks" he got the most important stat that Brees couldn't. A win. 

You want to credit that win to the team rather than Teddy? That's fine, but do the same for Brees, cause he's benefited from a good team as well.

40 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

You went on to say:

Its so frustrating when you KNOW something, and an NFL coach disagrees lol

The context to that quote is me discussing Andrus Peat being at LG while Jermon Bushrod got destroyed at LT.

Again, a comment made during the heat of a game rather than after a cooling off period.

Not sure what it has to do about my trying to say Bridgewater doesn't suck lol 

Edited by Dome

We're not saying Brees is infallible, or that he has "won games" (>qb wins) in spite of playing poorly, or that he's directly cost us games almost unto himself in the past ( my favorite ). The point is that each and every one of us are confident that Brees can put the team on his back if he has to, even at this age, because he's done it in the past.

Teddy didn't show much on Sunday but he didn't have to, and he doesn't have the resume of Brees to suggest that he's capable of getting it done if he has to. I do not believe we win that Texans game if Teddy is playing QB on the last drive

16 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

I do not believe we win that Texans game if Teddy is playing QB on the last drive

Nobody is saying Teddy is a better option than Brees.

This statement is an obvious one, and not one anybody is pushing back against.

51 minutes ago, Dome said:

I hope being right brings you as much enjoyment as a win.

I personally am hoping for a win.

Absolutely not Dome. I'm hoping Thomas goes off for 300 and 3 scores and the Saints win big. 

My faith in Teddy being able to get it done against a defense that even Brees has struggled with recently is, limited, however. 

48 minutes ago, Dome said:

Brees statline against Dallas last year

65% for 127 yards. One score, one interception, one fumble (fortunately recovered by the offense)

So are we judging teddy on how he compares to that performance

He will be, whether anyone likes it or not, or whether it's fair or not. Brees set the bar pretty low. Hopefully Teddy rises above. Again, my expectations are pretty low though.