New optimism regarding Teddy B.

Mid Iowa

Just to stoke the fire, I'll add this per pff:

Bridgewater had a rough outing against the Rams in relief of Drew Brees, and he followed it up with a very conservative game against the Seahawks in which over 80% of his yards came after the catch. Both of Bridgewater’s touchdowns came on screens, and he must be more aggressive with the ball down the field as he’s yet to earn a big-time throw, but his turnover-worthy play percentage is third-highest in the league.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

He will be, whether anyone likes it or not, or whether it's fair or not. Brees set the bar pretty low. Hopefully Teddy rises above. Again, my expectations are pretty low though.

This is kind of what I mean when I said I felt people’s expectations were too high.  Are we expecting Teddy to do better than Brees? Is anything less considered “bad?” 

Or are we expecting to manage the game and limit mistakes? That’s what I was expecting against Seattle and it’s exactly what happened.

Were other people expecting more than that?

This just feels like people having their fingers crossed whisper chanting “hopefully Teddy’s a Star” over and over. Then when he comes out like a good backup, limits mistakes, manages the game and gets the win leaving his HC beaming and proud people were disappointed.

If your expectations were so much higher than Sean Paytons that you thought Teddy sucked, maybe you need to adjust your expectations. 

15 hours ago, Dome said:

But what I'm saying is, I think you could've seen a very similar game from Brees. It's 100% in the realm of possibility.

Dome, I get it, I really do. What I am, have been, and will be saying is I've seen it Teddy's entire career. He's been mediocre at best. AND, I've never said he sucked. So we're going to keep talking about this, I think.

I love that he didn't lose the game for us in Seattle. I don't think that means that he won if for us. I think if he trusted himself the way we'd like to see him trust himself, we probably could have seen a 21 point margin, especially with how our front 6/7 was playing.

15 hours ago, Dome said:

The context to that quote is me discussing Andrus Peat being at LG while Jermon Bushrod got destroyed at LT.

Again, a comment made during the heat of a game rather than after a cooling off period.

Not sure what it has to do about my trying to say Bridgewater doesn't suck lol 

It's a comment that is equal to what you and I have both been saying, regardless of the player. 
You were referring to the line, I'm referring to our backup QB. Again, I've been complaining about Bridgewater since his rookie season, long before he would ever consider being on our team.

And, as you've said, time will tell. For the record, I hope you're right, and I'd love to eat crow.

4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Dome, I get it, I really do. What I am, have been, and will be saying is I've seen it Teddy's entire career. He's been mediocre at best. AND, I've never said he sucked. So we're going to keep talking about this, I think.

I don’t think we’re really assessing Bridgewater much differently.

I really just think expectations for a backup were too high if you came away from that game disappointed. 

There was optimism he could be the QBotF I’d understand the disappointment. I’ve felt and felt since the middle of TC this year that Teddy is a stop gap game manager. That’s the type of win you get from a stop gap game manager.

IMO, people who thought he could be more than that going into a Seahawks game (or really this season) just let themselves down buy drinking the Koolaid.

I love that he didn't lose the game for us in Seattle. I don't think that means that he won if for us. I think if he trusted himself the way we'd like to see him trust himself, we probably could have seen a 21 point margin, especially with how our front 6/7 was playing.

Maybe he could have, but we don’t need a 21 point victory.

Maybe the game plan was to play conservative in the rain since we had the early lead, our defense showed up, and our punter was having a career game keeping the Seahawks working for hard every scoring opportunity.

Throwing deep in the elements ain’t exactly easy, even if you think the WRs have a bit of separation. Look how many of Brees interceptions were on deep passes to Ginn where he had a step on the DB, but the distance got covered by the time the ball got there. And Brees is one of the best to ever do it. 

We didn’t need Teddy to push the ball down field last week, so criticizing him for not doing it just doesn’t really do much for me. 

If he’s scared to throw deep in the dome, we can reassess. But using the Seahawks game as any kind of a measuring stick as to what he can be under Payton’s direction is probably a bit hasty.

12 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

It's a comment that is equal to what you and I have both been saying, regardless of the player. 
You were referring to the line, I'm referring to our backup QB.

I really don’t think their equal at all for the reasons I’ve already stated.

(The main one being heat of the moment comments vs post game analysis days later just aren’t the same)

So we can agree to disagree on this point and move on. :D

28 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is kind of what I mean when I said I felt people’s expectations were too high.  Are we expecting Teddy to do better than Brees? Is anything less considered “bad?” 

Or are we expecting to manage the game and limit mistakes? That’s what I was expecting against Seattle and it’s exactly what happened.

Were other people expecting more than that?

This just feels like people having their fingers crossed whisper chanting “hopefully Teddy’s a Star” over and over. Then when he comes out like a good backup, limits mistakes, manages the game and gets the win leaving his HC beaming and proud people were disappointed.

If your expectations were so much higher than Sean Paytons that you thought Teddy sucked, maybe you need to adjust your expectations

My expectations for Teddy were never high to begin with, so it's difficult to adjust them any lower lol.

14 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

My expectations for Teddy were never high to begin with, so it's difficult to adjust them any lower lol.

Is this a true statement?

If your expectations of Teddy honestly couldn't get any lower, as in "you can't get much worse than Teddy", then you probably shouldn't be evaluating QBs at all.

If you're using hyperbole to make a point, it makes it almost impossible to have an honest discussion.

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

Is this a true statement?

If your expectations of Teddy honestly couldn't get any lower, as in "you can't get much worse than Teddy", then you probably shouldn't be evaluating QBs at all.

If you're using hyperbole to make a point, it makes it almost impossible to have an honest discussion.

Sarcasm, Dome.

This statement isn't true. There are plenty of QBs worse than Bridgewater. I've never compared Teddy to anyone else. My expectations for Teddy are just that, expectations for Teddy. Which we've already established are low. 

Not sure where you're trying to go with all of this. I'm not trying to have an "honest" discussion. I think Bridgewater is garbage, feel free to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

Wow. 

Wish you would've started with this, could've saved myself a bunch of time.

You should know better. Don't argue with idiots on the interwebs lmao.

He's never impressed me his whole career, so my expectations were never high, but I thought he could be perfectly serviceable in a pinch. Maybe (hopefully) he will be.  

After seeing him live, and being able to focus and watch him the whole game, something changed for me though. I'm not even sure it's something quantifiable. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but nothing you or anyone else post will change my mind. Teddy is the only one who can do that. 

Edited by SWATcha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Just to stoke the fire, I'll add this per pff:

Bridgewater had a rough outing against the Rams in relief of Drew Brees, and he followed it up with a very conservative game against the Seahawks in which over 80% of his yards came after the catch. Both of Bridgewater’s touchdowns came on screens, and he must be more aggressive with the ball down the field as he’s yet to earn a big-time throw, but his turnover-worthy play percentage is third-highest in the league.

That’s not stoking the fire. Thats an objective assessment that nobody has disagreed with. 

This is what I mean. Folks really need to take a step back and reread the discussions around Teddy and what was actually said if they think that statement is stoking the fire. 

Feels like of people are seeing “this guy doesn’t hate Teddy as much as I do so he must think Teddy is great” going on here 

and please, don’t just tell me I’m wrong. Go back and look at what I’ve said about Teddy and compare it to the comments above.

They’ll fall right in line, I can assure you.

If not, I’ll gladly eat my crow.

Edited by Dome

15 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

You should know better. Don't argue with idiots on the interwebs lmao.

I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

You said you aren’t trying to have an honest discussion. I’m not really interested in a dishonest discussion.

So there’s not much more for us to discuss. Have a good one man. Hope we can celebrate a win in a few days.

Edited by Dome

31 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Sarcasm, Dome.

This statement isn't true. There are plenty of QBs worse than Bridgewater. I've never compared Teddy to anyone else. My expectations for Teddy are just that, expectations for Teddy. Which we've already established are low. 

Not sure where you're trying to go with all of this. I'm not trying to have an "honest" discussion. I think Bridgewater is garbage, feel free to disagree. 

3bnbry.jpg

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I’ll keep that in mind for next time.

You said you aren’t trying to have an honest discussion. I’m not really interested in a dishonest discussion.

So there’s not much more for us to discuss. Have a good one man. Hope we can celebrate a win in a few days.

On this we can definitely agree sir. I'd love to see the Saints beat the Cowboys in the dome.