New optimism regarding Teddy B.

Mid Iowa

I guess it depends on what your expectations of Teddy were.  Prior to the Seahawks game, I had serious doubts on whether or not he could even manage a game, never mind carry the team.  I've never had any optimism at him being the starter after Brees retires. 

7 hours ago, Dome said:

IMO, people who thought he could be more than that going into a Seahawks game (or really this season) just let themselves down buy drinking the Koolaid.

Guilty! I had high expectations on him, and that's my bad. After recovering from a mega injury, and being under the tutelage of Brees for nearly 2 full years, I thought perhaps something would change, and it hasn't. AND, as I've stated, I hope it will.

Speaking of drinking (I know you like bourbon) you should try the new Slipknot No. 9 whiskey. Made by Iowa's own Slipknot in conjunction with Cedar Ridge distillery, with all Iowa products (artist, distillery, corn, and so on). Forbe's magazine said this whiskey alone will put Iowa on the map for fine whiskey. I've had it, and it's really good. A bit to much "rye" taste for me, but I did like it.

7 hours ago, Dome said:

Maybe the game plan was to play conservative in the rain since we had the early lead, our defense showed up, and our punter was having a career game keeping the Seahawks working for hard every scoring opportunity.

Throwing deep in the elements ain’t exactly easy, even if you think the WRs have a bit of separation. Look how many of Brees interceptions were on deep passes to Ginn where he had a step on the DB, but the distance got covered by the time the ball got there. And Brees is one of the best to ever do it. 

1st paragraph - maybe. Maybe this is a fact. I don't know, and I guess I hope that's what the game plan was. We both agree Payton's pretty smart with that stuff, so perhaps he pulled back the reigns a bit.

2nd paragraph - Wilson did just fine for 400+ yards, lesser receivers, and the exact same conditions (other than "home field" advantage, which frankly, went out the window quickly, and didn't return until mid 4th quarter).

Back to the top, go find that whiskey and let me know what you think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

2nd paragraph - Wilson did just fine for 400+ yards, lesser receivers, and the exact same conditions (other than "home field" advantage, which frankly, went out the window quickly, and didn't return until mid 4th quarter).

This is the only thing I felt was even worth addressing. Everything else we're close enough on that I can't worry about it too much. This I do disagree with a bit.

1) Wilson is getting paid $35 million per year.

He better be tearing it up. He's also one of the best deep passers in the league. He's had some absolute dimes over the years. 

2) His WRs aren't as good as Thomas, but they both excel in catching deep balls from one of the NFLs best deep ball throwers. 

The way our offense is tailored to shorter passes and a control style game, the Seahawks take shots with their outside deep threats. They're gonna get their big plays. 

What we're comparing here, is tough to compare with a 1 game sample size IMO

Wilson's stats in a home as a 8th year starter in an offense that's custom built to throw deep and has the personnel to do it properly

VS

Teddy stats in a road game as a 1st game (1st team) starter in an offense that's custom built to throw short and maintain possession of the ball. 

Edited by Dome

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is the only thing I felt was even worth addressing. Everything else we're close enough on that I can't worry about it too much. This I do disagree with a bit.

1) Wilson is getting paid $35 million per year.

He better be tearing it up. He's also one of the best deep passers in the league. He's had some absolute dimes over the years. 

2) His WRs aren't as good as Thomas, but they both excel in catching deep balls from one of the NFLs best deep ball throwers. 

The way our offense is tailored to shorter passes and a control style game, the Seahawks take shots with their outside deep threats. They're gonna get their big plays. 

What we're comparing here, is tough to compare with a 1 game sample size IMO

Wilson's stats in a home as a 8th year starter in an offense that's custom built to throw deep and has the personnel to do it properly

VS

Teddy stats in a road game as a 1st game (1st team) starter in an offense that's custom built to throw short and maintain possession of the ball. 

Well dang it, Dome, say this first next time, and I wouldn't have to talk about the earlier quote about Wilson. You're making me drink too much.

• Like 1

I'm gonna flat out say it. Teddy is the definition of mediocrity. Yeah he's not losing us games, but he sure isn't helping win them. He seems scared to throw down field, and they are catering to him by keeping the offense built around his surgical precision that falls off past 10 yard throws. Our offense needs a spark.

Am I the only person in favor of starting Hill? We know he can sling the ball. If the preseason is any indication, we know his accuracy has improved. Defenses would have to account for him escaping the pocket and being able to throw the ball. Right now, opposing teams are not giving Teddy any respect...and it's limiting what our offense can do. I say start Hill with Teddy to fall back on. At the very least we know Teddy won't lose it for us (though he tried to with that sack he gave up on the last drive).

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

I'm gonna flat out say it. Teddy is the definition of mediocrity. Yeah he's not losing us games, but he sure isn't helping win them. He seems scared to throw down field, and they are catering to him by keeping the offense built around his surgical precision that falls off past 10 yard throws. Our offense needs a spark.

Am I the only person in favor of starting Hill? We know he can sling the ball. If the preseason is any indication, we know his accuracy has improved. Defenses would have to account for him escaping the pocket and being able to throw the ball. Right now, opposing teams are not giving Teddy any respect...and it's limiting what our offense can do. I say start Hill with Teddy to fall back on. At the very least we know Teddy won't lose it for us (though he tried to with that sack he gave up on the last drive).

Mediocre is all we need from a backup.  Someone who won't lose us games until Brees gets back.

The problem with Taysom, is that he's prolly gonna throw some picks, that will probably lose us games. 

I think Teddy has proven two things:  He's a capable backup, and he's not the answer post-Brees.

The oline has been a catastrophe since the Rams game, and Teddy is gettng no help whatsoever.

• Like 1

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Mediocre is all we need from a backup.  Someone who won't lose us games until Brees gets back.

The problem with Taysom, is that he's prolly gonna throw some picks, that will probably lose us games. 

I think Teddy has proven two things:  He's a capable backup, and he's not the answer post-Brees.

The oline has been a catastrophe since the Rams game, and Teddy is gettng no help whatsoever.

And we only have 2 reliable pass catchers, Thomas and Kamara.  Neither are players you expect to make plays deep.

• Like 1

Just now, Raves said:

And we only have 2 reliable pass catchers, Thomas and Kamara.  Neither are players you expect to make plays deep.

Yes.  This team is not built for any kind of deep passing whatsoever. Old man Brees deep ball ability took a nosedive, and the team was built around an elite short/intermediate game because of it.

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes.  This team is not built for any kind of deep passing whatsoever. Old man Brees deep ball ability took a nosedive, and the team was built around an elite short/intermediate game because of it.

If we still had Stills/Cooks on the team, then I could see/understand wanting more of a deep passing game, even with Teddy as QB, but the only "deep threat" we have is Ginn and he either has lost a step or he isn't able to get separation like he used to.  Also kind of hard to throw deep when you are being pressured quickly.  Granted our first 4 games have been against great DLs so that should be expected.  Tampa's DL is a step down from what we've had to face before going back to the same caliber/better DLs against Jacksonville and Chicago before taking another step down against the Cardinals.

We really do have one hell of a schedule this year don't we?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

We don't even need a deep passing game, just a QB capable of not pooping himself when he occasionally needs to throw more than 10 yards. Almost every pass more than 10 is overthrown or wide with Teddy so far. Its infuriating.

But he was still 10x better than he was in the Seattle game and 100x better than the Rams game.  So far he's done what we have paid him so much money to do, be a very capable back-up and win games with Brees out.  I remember the commentators talking about how Payton said that they had gotten lazy because of everything Brees had been doing for them in the past that they sort of forgot some of the steps like having Teddy B have the wrist thing with the plays on it.  I think Teddy will continue to progress again to the point of looking like an average starting QB by the time Brees gets back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

But he was still 10x better than he was in the Seattle game and 100x better than the Rams game.  So far he's done what we have paid him so much money to do, be a very capable back-up and win games with Brees out.  I remember the commentators talking about how Payton said that they had gotten lazy because of everything Brees had been doing for them in the past that they sort of forgot some of the steps like having Teddy B have the wrist thing with the plays on it.  I think Teddy will continue to progress again to the point of looking like an average starting QB by the time Brees gets back.

I think I just hate the offense now. Its so boring to watch Teddy. There is zero excitement with him.

Just now, navysaintsfan said:

I think I just hate the offense now. Its so boring to watch Teddy. There is zero excitement with him.

That is a completely fair assessment.  He's definitely not the fiery type.  Closer to Cutler than Brees in that regard.  But his play is steady improving and I was very surprised/impressed with his growth from the Rams game till now.

• Like 1

After all I've watched over the past few weeks, here's what I have to say:

How f-ing good is Brees!!

Makes the O-line look really good because of his pocket presence, and quick decision making.
Makes all the receivers look really good because his route timing and putting the ball at their eyes.
Makes the coaching staff look great because he executes everything so well.
Makes Kamara look.......never mind, Kamara got this.

Brees is soooo dang good, he makes the entire team good.