Top Alabama recruit disappears from team, may transfer

NateDawg

On 9/13/2019 at 5:25 PM, NateDawg said:

Bama freshman DL Antonio Alfano entering the transfer portal. Top 10 kid from last class. Originally Jersey area kid. 

From what I understand, also, his parents want him to be closer to home bc of his ill grandmother. Pretty sure I read that this weekend. If true, where would a kid with that talent go? I'm sure Rutgers would love him but would he love it there?

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

From what I understand, also, his parents want him to be closer to home bc of his ill grandmother. Pretty sure I read that this weekend. If true, where would a kid with that talent go? I'm sure Rutgers would love him but would he love it there?

The tweet from the parents I saw said they wanted him to stay at Bama, but that ultimately it's his choice. Obviously they may just be saying that publicly but something different behind the scenes.

He's apparently not in the portal yet.

He had some off-field issues that were never really described, but I know Penn State passed on his commitment at least once. There were also rumors that a couple of PSU commits/targets told their coaches that if they accepted a commitment from him, they wouldn't be part of the class. He transferred high schools twice before his senior year (transferred from Bergen Catholic to Rahway, then Rahway to Colonia). He was always insanely talented, but off-field stuff held him down until he was just so dominant at the all-star game that they couldn't keep him down.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

He's apparently not in the portal yet.

He had some off-field issues that were never really described, but I know Penn State passed on his commitment at least once. There were also rumors that a couple of PSU commits/targets told their coaches that if they accepted a commitment from him, they wouldn't be part of the class. He transferred high schools twice before his senior year (transferred from Bergen Catholic to Rahway, then Rahway to Colonia). He was always insanely talented, but off-field stuff held him down until he was just so dominant at the all-star game that they couldn't keep him down.

Oh wow, that's a lot to take in. Imagine a high school kid being this way. When they get older, it's probably only going to get worse. 

I went ahead and put this into it's own thread.  Additionally, Saban said Alfano disappeared from the program and they couldn't contact him for a couple days. 

From everything that has been mentioned, it sounds like this kid has some issues he needs to work out.  It might be best to do that on a smaller stage than Alabama.  

On 9/15/2019 at 10:58 AM, JTagg7754 said:

With how Maryland seems to be turning it around that would be a good spot for him too and could really help them with recruiting better talent to have him on the roster.

Another update: Saban has said Alfano has basically quit the team, is not attending classes and is not responding to any attempts to contact him from the team.  He also is apparently in the transfer portal as well- https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/19/nick-saban-says-alabamas-highest-rated-2019-signee-has-just-basically-quit-the-team/

On 9/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, Raves said:

With how Maryland seems to be turning it around that would be a good spot for him too and could really help them with recruiting better talent to have him on the roster.

Thats what I was thinking. Maryland isnt far away. Just shoot up the 95 an hour. And the same guys that helped recruit him to Bama could be the coaches there already.

But if thats the case. I dont know why he wouldnt be responding to Bama officials if he intended on playing for those with close Bama relations and ties.