Screw the 2020 Draft?

43M

So, Im not a big fan of the trade for Minkah, given our current predicament and the extreme uncertainty of it all, but should we just say, screw the 2020 draft, and try to trade for some more impact players this year?      I mean, I have to think for a 3rd we can get a halfway decent WR or TE,  and maybe the 2nd can go for another defensive player.

Im not saying we should or shouldnt do this, but I am wondering what others think.     The Minkah trade is a "win now": move.....which is absolutely stupid considering we didnt make moves like this when we had a better chance to compete, but are now doing it after our franchise QB goes down.     Still, this is our reality now, so why not double down and just trade our picks away for players that can help us win this year?   I certainly dont expect to be a playoff team no matter what, but maybe enough to not make this trade sting so bad.    

If the value is there, sure. I know that's a lazy answer but I have no problem trading a pick for a young player if it adds up. I wouldn't trade for a vet however. I don't think we're in SB contention this year. I disagree that the Fitz trade is a "win now" move. He's 22 and it's not much different then drafting a DB next year. The trade was made just as much for the future as it was for the present. The biggest problem is if Mason isn't the guy now you gotta wait to 2021 to try and fix it. Trevor Lawrence 2021? 

First, I dont view Minkah Fitzpatrick as just a win now trade. He is a guy that had he been there, the Steelers would have drafted instead of Terrell Edmund's perhaps. Now, we have both and Fitspatrick has valuable NFL experience on a decent contract with a couple seasons left on it.

Assuming he works out, I view him as a long term player for us. Now some media said it looks desperate, it sort of is isnt it? They are 0-2 and their defense is hurting right now. They needed to do something drastic.

I'd be fine with trading for other players if the right deals were there. Go get someone like Eric Ebron from the Colts who has the speed to stretch the field. Go get another Corner and another LB. I'd be good with that. I dont think itll happen and idk if I believe we can make the playoffs now but if we dont and Rudolph plays well, I mean we gotta start the transition.

So I was thinking, this isn't an all in on this year.  1st off he still has a few years left on his deal.  2nd, I think this is Colberts way of saying "this team is still talented".  A young QB's best friends on the team are a good defense and a solid run game.  Now theoretically we have the second one.  The issue is the first one.  Well getting a FS/Slot guy like Fitzpatrick tends to fix some (most) of the issues we had.  I think this really was looking at #1 there aren't many good defensive players in this draft, and #2 our best shot to not bottom out is to get Fitzpatrick.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Does anyone think that with Mason Rudolph starting that we might see the tight end get utilized more in the run game get utilize more and potentially actually be a better team?

Yes.  Completely.  I think with Mason in there you got to go back to basics some offensively.

FWIW Chris Simms just trashed this trade so I'm 100% loving it now.

• Like 2

Just now, Chieferific said:

Are we saying Fitz is the Slot CB in the Nickel or the SS covering the Slot in the "Base"? Cause if it's SS, where does Edmunds play? Obviously they're gonna move around but what is the "Base" spot gonna be?

He's not a SS.  He's a FS/NCB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Does anyone think that with Mason Rudolph starting that we might see the tight end get utilized more in the run game get utilize more and potentially actually be a better team?

PA is now in the Playbook and that helps the TE and others get open. Vance had zero targets week 1 (I think). That changed when Mason entered the game.  

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

Yes.  Completely.  I think with Mason in there you got to go back to basics some offensively.

FWIW Chris Simms just trashed this trade so I'm 100% loving it now.

Several media outlets seemed to, but I love it. I said I didnt care if we gave up a 1st before we did the trade, thing is, I never thought Colbert would do it. I'm very glad he did

• Like 2

Just now, Chieferific said:

Ok, so he comes down in the Nickel leaving Davis (Kelly) at FS. That still needs to be improved. 

I think what it could leave is a really interesting 3 man rotation with it.  Minkah, Davis, Hilton getting on the field together.  Can rotate them as to who's in deep cover-1 or cover-2 vs on the slot man.

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

And Peter King just laid out there, he was told from someone within the organization that this wouldn't have happened if Ben didn't 100% confirm he would be back.

Honestly I thought about it last night. I'm okay with Ben coming back, but I'm also excited to see what Rudolph can do. I believe, honestly, if Rudolph does well, it puts pressure on Ben to play better. That's not a bad thing.

• Like 2