Screw the 2020 Draft?

43M

Just now, warfelg said:

I think what it could leave is a really interesting 3 man rotation with it.  Minkah, Davis, Hilton getting on the field together.  Can rotate them as to who's in deep cover-1 or cover-2 vs on the slot man.

Do you think there's a chance we resign Davis and get rid of Dsngerfield after the season?

Just now, warfelg said:

I think what it could leave is a really interesting 3 man rotation with it.  Minkah, Davis, Hilton getting on the field together.  Can rotate them as to who's in deep cover-1 or cover-2 vs on the slot man.

That's kinda what I was getting at. Ideally (imo), they'd have a pure Slot CB with Fitz holding down the FS and Edmunds at SS.  

• Like 1

I believe the Steelers thin QB is off the table for the next draft or so. This is a second year player in a 5 year contract (essentially). 

This is much about the future as it is anything else. And just our schedule alone makes me feel pretty confident we are not gonna bottoms out. So we are probably looking at a mid-round pick for a pretty darn good player. I think that’s a good swap. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chieferific said:

That's kinda what I was getting at. Ideally (imo), they'd have a pure Slot CB with Fitz holding down the FS and Edmunds at SS.  

With the way the NFL is going having versatility like that is only a good thing.  Fitzpatrick was actually the best corner against TE's last year.  So with Hilton-Davis-Fitzpatrick, you can have them rotate where if the TE is flexed, Davis-Hilton drop and Fitz stays with him; if the TE is tight, Hilton drops in the box, with Fitz and Davis back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I believe the Steelers thin QB is off the table for the next draft or so. This is a second year player in a 5 year contract (essentially). 

This is much about the future as it is anything else. And just our schedule alone makes me feel pretty confident we are not gonna bottoms out. So we are probably looking at a mid-round pick for a pretty darn good player. I think that’s a good swap. 

IF we end up making the playoffs, imo, it's a great swap

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I believe the Steelers thin QB is off the table for the next draft or so.

I think this is what it also tells me.  What they've seen from Mason is better in their opinion than what they've seen from Herbert or Tua.

I'm also going to put this out there:

I 100% thing Burrow and Fields would be there early 2nd late 1st.  If we get a 3rd comp for Bell; 2nd + Miami 4th + 2021 3rd we can move up to get one of them.  And secretly, I love those two guys more than Tua and Herbert.

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I 100% thing Burrow and Fields would be there early 2nd late 1st.  If we get a 3rd comp for Bell; 2nd + Miami 4th + 2021 3rd we can move up to get one of them.  And secretly, I love those two guys more than Tua and Herbert.

I’m good with that.  I’m pretty big on getting the next guy after the first guys gone for QB. 

My problem with Mason is his contract lines up with Bens. So as soon as ben is officially out, we need to immediately start paying Mason. And if he shows well here and has a good agent, that means figures starting at the franchise tag, which will probably be north of $30M. 

So I almost think the best thing that could happen is for Mason to play lights out, and flip him for a first, play out the 2 years of Ben and focus on getting the next, next guy in the next two drafts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

First, I dont view Minkah Fitzpatrick as just a win now trade. He is a guy that had he been there, the Steelers would have drafted instead of Terrell Edmund's perhaps. Now, we have both and Fitspatrick has valuable NFL experience on a decent contract with a couple seasons left on it.

Assuming he works out, I view him as a long term player for us. Now some media said it looks desperate, it sort of is isnt it? They are 0-2 and their defense is hurting right now. They needed to do something drastic.

I'd be fine with trading for other players if the right deals were there. Go get someone like Eric Ebron from the Colts who has the speed to stretch the field. Go get another Corner and another LB. I'd be good with that. I dont think itll happen and idk if I believe we can make the playoffs now but if we dont and Rudolph plays well, I mean we gotta start the transition.

I agree its not a COMPLETELY win now move, but when you trade high picks for players in the league, it usually shows you are looking for them to make an impact immediately.    So while Fitz can help us win long term, I think it is still a win now move.

• Like 1

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree its not a COMPLETELY win now move, but when you trade high picks for players in the league, it usually shows you are looking for them to make an impact immediately.    So while Fitz can help us win long term, I think it is still a win now move.

I mean yes I do think that we wouldn't have traded for him if we didn't think that he could make an immediate impact on our defense because let's be honest our defense has to play better

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m good with that.  I’m pretty big on getting the next guy after the first guys gone for QB. 

My problem with Mason is his contract lines up with Bens. So as soon as ben is officially out, we need to immediately start paying Mason. And if he shows well here and has a good agent, that means figures starting at the franchise tag, which will probably be north of $30M. 

So I almost think the best thing that could happen is for Mason to play lights out, and flip him for a first, play out the 2 years of Ben and focus on getting the next, next guy in the next two drafts. 

The flip side:

Their contracts expire with the current CBA.  I think the exclusive franchise tag is done for, but they keep a form of the transition tag.  I think that's what the steelers would be more likely to use.  Retain his rights, but let him go get a contract.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The flip side:

Their contracts expire with the current CBA.  I think the exclusive franchise tag is done for, but they keep a form of the transition tag.  I think that's what the steelers would be more likely to use.  Retain his rights, but let him go get a contract.

I don’t think the franchise tag is done for. Not when it only effects less than 1% of the players. No ones gonna miss checks for that and it will be one of the first things to hit the cutting floor when push comes to shove. But that’s a discussion for a different day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t think the franchise tag is done for. Not when it only effects less than 1% of the players. No ones gonna miss checks for that and it will be one of the first things to hit the cutting floor when push comes to shove. But that’s a discussion for a different day. 

I disagree.  I think it's going to be a big thing in the next CBA.