Jalen Ramsey?

Slateman

50 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

He has more value than Mack

Shut down cb in todays nfl big value

Maholme is alergic to him

Passrusher >> CB

Ramsey is a great player, but every cover man in today’s NFL is dependent on his passrushers to give him a chance. Janoris Jenkins was complaining this weekend about how he was being asked to cover for “10 seconds” because they were getting no pass rush (and Lorenzo Carter agreed with him). We’ve seen it these first two weeks, no pressure on the QB and the secondary is getting picked apart.

Even a guy as good as him, he took a pretty significant step back last season when the Jaguars’ pass rush wasn’t as effective. They went from 55 sacks (and 105 QB hits) in 2017 to 37 sacks (and 93 QB hits) in 2018 — and Ramsey’s play predictably suffered somewhat as a result.

Personally, at least, I consider Mack and Donald to be the two most valuable defenders in the league. Watt would be right with them if he could stay healthy, and Von Miller isn’t that far behind either. Myles Garrett looks to be making the leap right now too. I think the monstrous contracts each of those guys (excluding Garrett) have received speak volumes as to how teams value them as well.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s time to be trading away expensive veteran players, not trading for them. 

@naptownskinsfan did a breakdown of the roster in a different thread that was both sobering and depressing. Sort of brought home the bottom line that we have a ton of both immediate needs and “near future” needs. We can’t be splurging on big-ticket items at the front end of the rebuilding process. 

And I know there will be people who will say “well Jalen Ramsey is still young, and he’s likely better than any player we’ll get in the 1st round, so what’s the harm in trading a 1st for him?” But as I’ve said before, it’s not that simple. You’re not just giving up the draft pick — you’re also giving up all the cap space you’ll burn when you give him a huge contract to stay around. 

You have two assets — a high 1st round pick and a $20M/year contract — that you’re using on acquiring one player. You could split that up and use each avenue separately to bring on two players. Draft Chase Young and sign Amari Cooper. Draft Jerry Jeudy and sign Yannick Ngakoue. Draft Andrew Thomas and sign Byron Jones. Whatever your pleasure, the point is that you’re basically paying double the acquisition cost to trade for a star player and pay him a market value contract. 

Ramsey is great. But the Redskins are not. If they were close to the throne and he was the missing piece, maybe you could justify that sort of splurge. They aren’t. And you can’t. 

Great post.  There is also something to be said about making your big FA dives at the right time.  Adding a corner like Ramsey is done when you are ready to take the next step.  The Patriots a few years ago before they went on this latest run paid big money for Stephon Gilmore to come in as their #1 cornerback.  Building the team through the draft, and then when its ready to compete, you bring in a couple gamechangers through free agency.  But right now, the draft and targeting value free agents/reclamation projects should be our best friends to establish depth.  

What would it matter if we got Ramsey? Manusky would like Norman up in press man and Ramsey up in off zone!!! I love Ramsey and I would be okay with packaging Trent and a pick for him. But Manusky would ruin this guy just like h has Norman. Norman gets trashed but when we play him right he shines. Personally you have to trade Trent!!! Personally draft capital is the best for us. I love Ramsey but draft picks would be the best case I think for this team.

• Like 1