5 Up, 5 Down

LETSGOBROWNIES

Up

1. Myles Garrett’s pass rush:  3 sacks and dominated the whole game.

2. OBJ: The big play ability was on full display last night.

3. Joe Schobert: was all over the field and was giving LeVeon the business.

4. Austin Seibert: Kid nailed all of his kicks and looked solid.

5. Defense as a whole: They allowed 3 points, not much more to say.

Down

1. Freddie.... in general: The offense looks out of sync, he played Baker and OBJ far too long, allowed Baker to take unnecessary hits, plays seemed to take forever to come it, etc.  The creativity and spark the offense had last season seemed to be missing almost entirely.

2. Myles’s discipline:  3 penalties is a bit much, especially after last week.  

3. Our TE’s: Njoku dropped the only pass he had thrown to him, Harris was a non-factor and Brown had a play where he continued running down field looking for the ball for about 45 seconds after the ball was past him and on the ground.  

4. Loss of weapons: Luckily we have major injuries, but the minor injuries and suspensions are starting to add up. Presumably we’ll be without Njoku as well as Hunt and Calloway next week.  Hilliard and Higgins are also question marks.  That’s a lot of talent so early in the season at two positions.

5. Baker: Kid didn’t look like himself.  Missed open receivers, held the ball, etc.  Not sure what’s going on, but these guys don’t have long to get it figured out.

• Like 2

I’m a bit worried about Baker. I don’t want to sound like a **** who’s jumping on any sign but I feel like I’m allowed to because in fairness I’d been consistent from before we drafted him about some of the fears I’ve got.

He is struggling to see the defense at the moment. Especially with the pressure. Which is understandable as most QBs will be worse vs pressure obviously.

I think he’ll be okay and he is an accurate guy who can get it done when he’s got time, but I am a little bit worried he isn’t quite as special as advertised.

Up:

1. Garrett - Showed that he's one of the best defensive players in the league.

2. ST - Besides the one penalty, our ST looked very good last night. Night and day compared to how they've played in recent seasons. The Hammer is looking great, and Seibert looked very good and all of his kicks were right down the middle. Hopefully this game gives him the confidence to continue to be successful.

3. OBJ - Last night he showed why we traded for him.

4. Schobert - Showing his worth. Defense as a whole played well, but guys like Garrett and Schobert stood out the most.

5. Improved discipline. Still have a ways to go, but we definitely improved on cutting down the penalties and playing more disciplined.

Down:

1. Garrett - As great as he was rushing the passer, he absolutely has to cut down on the penalties.

2. Inconsistency on offense - we've seen glimpses of how good this offense could be, but we've also seen this offense play pretty poorly. They just need to gel and become more consistent. Baker needs to settle down.

3. Play-calling - Some of our calls on third down were underwhelming. Freddie is still adjusting to being the HC, but his play-calling needs to improve. He should have utilized screen passes and quick throws more yesterday to neutralize Gregggg blitzing us.

4. OL - Definitely played better than they did in week one, but they still have a lot to improve on. I absolutely don't trust them as of now if they had to go up against a top front four.

• Like 2

Long term, Jarvis and OBJ are core long term pieces we cannot let go if we want Baker to develop. I won’t be shocked if / when Njoku gets traded / leaves. I like Njoku, but he drops too many passes.

Penalties were cut in half. Not amazing, but obviously a huge upgrade from last week.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Subtract Garrett’s excessive penalties and the improvement is even more evident.

And tbh I can live with his penalties, he was cracking the opposing QB repeated.

We could afford those penalties last night just because the Jets' offense was so bad. But we couldn't afford to give that many extra opportunities to a good or even just decent offense.

Up: 

-Special teams: Punts were almost all around the 10 yard line, punt coverage was good, all of the kicks were made and the kick coverage was good. Landry was good at punt return

-Offensive line: for the most part, despite Gregg Williams sending pressure all day, I thought they did a decent job, there were a few outstanding plays like Tretters block on Chubb's run.

-Defensive line: Myles Garrett is a superstar, we need to embrace the nasty people.Garrett is the hammer, opposing QBs are the nail, the rest of the line were as advertised, except for a few times, the line constantly had the QB off of his mark.

-Linebackers: I'll be the first to say I wasn't a fan of Kirksey and Schobert, calling them overrated but they have been really good thus far, they were good diagnosing and tackling, pleasantly surprised thus far. Also Mack Wilson did well in his limited time 

- Greedy Williams: In position, in phase, made plays 

- Steve Wilks: Man, Wilks's game play was outstanding, the blitz schemes were all on point, and held Bell to 68 yards on 21 carries

-OBJ: Still hits me that he plays for the Browns, he is so good....

Down:

- Kitchens: Only because I think Williams might have gotten the best of him in the head to head match-up. Run screens,Outside of the big play from OBJ it would have been a way tighter game, but did do really well of managing the time right before the half which afforded us another 3 points 

- Genard Avery: What the hell did he do?

- Denzel Ward: Not looking good, doesn't look hungry 

- David Njoku: soft.... (don't care about his age)

- Baker: Only because Gregg Williams had a whole offseason to game plan for this (and had a good plan). I fully think he will be a lot better moving forward, he just needs to take what's there rather than forcing the issue