5 Up, 5 Down

LETSGOBROWNIES

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Jesus fellas I wasn’t singling him out, all I said I’d we got nothing from TE’s yesterday.

Well that much I agree with.  I am partial to Brown because he went to Brush and shows up on kick coverage, but he's definitely a bottom of the roster guy on a bad team.  Harris is an oaf.  Our TE group as a whole is pretty bad.  Our offense is held together by duct tape.

Edited by Rod Johnson

Some other ups and downs

UP:

Garrett - Dominated the entire game (Vernon played very well too, his stats just don’t show it).

Kirksey/Schobert - both played well. I’ll admit most of it was knowing Bell was their only weapon.

Kush - Played a good game for the most part. Had a couple nice blocks to spring Chubb. Side note: I forgot Kush was the prospect from Cal U PA. 

Special teams - !!!!!!!!

DOWN: 

Ward - 2nd week in a row he’s looked sub par. 

TEs - Njoku got hurt so this isn’t as much on him but we got nothing out of the other TEs. Harris has a couple decent blocks but we need to add some new talent there

Freddie - Lot of issues he needs to work out. Help baker with better play calls against these vet DC. He’s getting beat in chess matches so far every week. Also, why throw the ball at the end of the game up 23-3???

Baker - We all saw how he looked. Made some great throws, tried to audible during the game. Just was off/rattled a little bit. Needs to get in the film room and learn to read these intricate Defenses.

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing to consider, Greggggg knows this team well, both our offense and defense.

He knows what bothers a lot of these guys and where they excel.  It’s tough to play against someone who knows your tendencies so well.

That alone made this game more difficult imo.

I think this is true. But then again, Freddie should know Greggggg well and he didn't capitalize on Gregg's schematic faults enough, IMO. With how often Gregg likes to blitz, Freddie should have called more quick passes and screens. I can recall only two times that we ran a screen pass last night, and both were successful plays.

Freddie is still learning, so I'm trying to be patient. But he needs to get better.

Just now, DawgX said:

I think this is true. But then again, Freddie should know Greggggg well and he didn't capitalize on Gregg's schematic faults enough, IMO. With how often Gregg likes to blitz, Freddie should have called more quick passes and screens. I can recall only two times that we ran a screen pass last night, and both were successful plays.

Freddie is still learning, so I'm trying to be patient. But he needs to get better.

Hard to say imo.

Play calling had its questionable moments for sure, but Baker wasn’t exactly looking crisp either.  He missed more than a couple throws.

• Like 1

UP:

Officiating seemed better this game

5 of 6 punts inside the 20

Defense won us the field position battle

O tackles were better

Ratley looked good

Landry returning punts as long as he stays healthy

Gregg being upset at OBJ TD

Down:

Murray

Ward

Offensive identity

Falk completed 20-25 and Bell had 10 catches on 10 targets

44 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hard to say imo.

Play calling had its questionable moments for sure, but Baker wasn’t exactly looking crisp either.  He missed more than a couple throws.

i mean on the deep int to odell (which still should have been a flag) shoulda been a moot point he had chubb in the flat that woulda went for a first down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Falk completed 20-25 and Bell had 10 catches on 10 targets

You have to live with Bell catching 10 checkdowns. It's going to be open in zone defense and it's on the defense to rally and tackle effectively. You constantly concede the flat in zone. It works if you can rally and tackle, which we did against the Jets for the most part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The only thing that really bugged me in the second half was Freddie being an idiot and not pulling Baker, OBJ and Landry or at a minimum stop having him throw and exposing him to hits.

That was a head scratcher.

Freddie needs to let Monken take some burden off of him.

As crazy as this sounds, I like Freddie more as a HC than a OC.

Edited by candyman93