CLE DE Myles Garrett out 4-6 weeks with high ankle sprain

Broncofan

CLE's drive for a top 3 pick seems to be coming together (Kizer is plan B).   Garrett the one plug and play 2017 impact rookie they drafted. Everyone else is really geared at 2018+...now this.   ?

On a serious note at least it's not a serious long term injury.  

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
#Browns No. 1 pick Myles Garrett was diagnosed with a high-ankle sprain, knocking him out several weeks. Generally 4-6 weeks.

Geez, had high hopes for him and the Browns. So, who is next man up? I remember Carl Nassib was an early round pick for the Browns, but don't think he's 1/10th the player Garrett is. 

4-6 weeks is rough, but doable. I remember everyone hating on Jadevion Clowney after he got hurt his first two seasons, so while this injury might interfere with his statline, I am fully confident that Garrett will still be an impact player for the Browns, much like Clowney is for the Texans.

13 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Geez, had high hopes for him and the Browns. So, who is next man up? I remember Carl Nassib was an early round pick for the Browns, but don't think he's 1/10th the player Garrett is. 

4-6 weeks is rough, but doable. I remember everyone hating on Jadevion Clowney after he got hurt his first two seasons, so while this injury might interfere with his statline, I am fully confident that Garrett will still be an impact player for the Browns, much like Clowney is for the Texans.

Nassib was playing better in the PS....but hard to know if that was because of the attention Garrett drew.  Ogbah and Nassib become their starters now.  They signed Tyrone Holmes off the street today to be their depth DE guy now, so pretty clear Garrett's out for a while.

Long-term, there is no impact on Garrett - so yeah, I'd be still really high on his future.   Honestly, given Kizer is a dart throw at QB, I actually don't think the fanbase should be too upset - this is a rebuilding year anyways, Peppers/Njoku/Howard Wilson/Brantley are really more geared at helping them in 2018.  This only helps them get a high pick for the QBOTF if Kizer isn't the guy (I think that's likely), or if Kizer proves the doubters wrong, they have incredible ammo to get better faster from QB-hungry teams.  Win-win, since it's not a horrible injury. I do expect he won't be 100 percent for at least half the season now, and combined with the delay in getting NFL speed reps, yeah, he may not look nearly as successful (if not dominant) this year as his skill set suggests.

Archived