Daniel Jones named Starter

Acgott

29 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Eli was terrible his rookie season, but one has nothing to do with the other. 

With Engram, use him in slot and use Ellison at the in-line or use the FB more. 

I just can’t understand this thinking of being static. It doesn’t push the team forward at all.

Yes one has something to do with the other, unless you think Daniel Jones is going to be great his rookie season and carry the Giants to the playoffs.

Maybe that how you would use Engram but I don't believe the Giants do.

It is not being static, it is being smart with the future of the franchise and putting him in when it is best for him and the team. This team has so many holes, it is probably going to be at least two seasons most likely three before this team is a playoff contending team. Waiting to start him at home against the Cardinals would give him a stretch of winnable games that can allow him to grow as well as give him plenty  reps for this season, with his starting wideouts. 

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Yes one has something to do with the other, unless you think Daniel Jones is going to be great his rookie season and carry the Giants to the playoffs.

Maybe that how you would use Engram but I don't believe the Giants do.

It is not being static, it is being smart with the future of the franchise and putting him in when it is best for him and the team. This team has so many holes, it is probably going to be at least two seasons most likely three before this team is a playoff contending team. Waiting to start him at home against the Cardinals would give him a stretch of winnable games that can allow him to grow as well as give him plenty  reps for this season, with his starting wideouts. 

Engram is already playing over 40% of his snaps not in the in-line position matching with Ellison getting 40% of the Total snaps.

Wait, this whole argument is really over a 5 game difference? Fine, you are entitled to your opinion there.

Here's the thing.  We need to find out if Daniel Jones can play.  It's looking like we'll have a potential top 3 pick this year, and while I don't think we'd draft another QB you never know.  More importantly, If DJ is indeed the future of this franchise we need to figure out if Shurmur is the future coach.  Up until now, Shurmur has inherited Eli and while he would never bash him publicly, everyone has heard whispers that Shurmur can't run his full offense with Eli and his lack of mobility.  Well Shurmur was the coach when DJ was drafted.  Let's see what the kid has.  14 games is plenty of time to know if Shurmur is going to be the coach to lead this team next year with DJ attached.  While I do feel bad for Eli because I really don't think there's much more that he could have done in the first two games the time has come.  Eli has had a great run, far better than any of us could have ever hoped.  As frustrating as he has been, he brought our franchise two super bowls.  15 years from now, when I think of the Eli era I won't think of his goofy face or awful decisions, I'll think of Tyree, Manningham, and beating Green Bay in the tundra.  It's a sad day sure, but this is a business and its time to move on.

On a separate more concerning note.  If Eli's leash was truly this short coming into the season why even bring him back?  Once again this front office doesn't seem to have a plan.

• Like 1

Hello, Big Blue Nation - Brooksie is stopping by from the Dawg Pound to offer my $.02 on the matter at hand.

A few thoughts:

On a national level the Giants, in general and Gettleman in particular, were mercilessly ridiculed for drafting Daniel Jones at 6 instead of at 17 with the pick obtained in the OBJ swap. That sounded eerily similar to what we heard last year surrounding the selection of Baker.

What we must understand is we are fans of varying degrees and mock drafters. We are not paid professionals who have dedicated their lives to evaluating talent. The prevailing thought in 2018, based mostly on an average of where Baker was slotted in most mock drafts, was that we could select Saquon at 1 and come back and snag Baker at 4.

After Baker was selected at one, it became apparent from the comments of most scouts in the league, that there was no way that Baker would be available at 4 had we passed on him at 1. He would have been NY bound, either to you folks or to Gang Green.

I suspect that is exactly what happened in the Giants war room last April when Pick 6 was on the clock. Gettleman, and those really "in the know" knew that if they really wanted Daniel Jones, they had to go get him now. Personally, I liked what I saw out of the young man at Duke. I thought he was intelligent in his reads. I thought he didn't try to win games singlehandely, and he had good NFL size and arm strength.

So I wasn't surprised that he was taken in the first round. When he was selected at 6, I thought to myself - the scouts from the Giants (and more importantly - from 31 other clubs) probably know if we pass on him at 6 that there is no way he lasts 11 more picks to 17.

So his time has come. He seems to be a good kid with a head squarely on his shoulders. Good luck to him riding out the inevitable twists and turns of an early NFL career.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 3

Play him man. This season isn’t about wins, it’s about progression. There is no right way to groom a QB. You got examples of guys who sat and flourished. And you have examples of guys who played right away. If you use #6 pick on him, he better be good enough to start right away. Season is done, so get as much as an evaluation on him as you can. If he can’t handle it then he’s not worthy of where we picked him.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Hello, Big Blue Nation - Brooksie is stopping by from the Dawg Pound to offer my $.02 on the matter at hand.

A few thoughts:

On a national level the Giants, in general and Gettleman in particular, were mercilessly ridiculed for drafting Daniel Jones at 6 instead of at 17 with the pick obtained in the OBJ swap. That sounded eerily similar to what we heard last year surrounding the selection of Baker.

What we must understand is we are fans of varying degrees and mock drafters. We are not paid professionals who have dedicated their lives to evaluating talent. The prevailing thought in 2018, based mostly on an average of where Baker was slotted in most mock drafts, was that we could select Saquon at 1 and come back and snag Baker at 4.

After Baker was selected at one, it became apparent from the comments of most scouts in the league, that there was no way that Baker would be available at 4 had we passed on him at 1. He would have been NY bound, either to you folks or to Gang Green.

I suspect that is exactly what happened in the Giants war room last April when Pick 6 was on the clock. Gettleman, and those really "in the know" knew that if they really wanted Daniel Jones, they had to go get him now. Personally, I liked what I saw out of the young man at Duke. I thought he was intelligent in his reads. I thought he didn't try to win games singlehandely, and he had good NFL size and arm strength.

So I wasn't surprised that he was taken in the first round. When he was selected at 6, I thought to myself - the scouts from the Giants (and more importantly - from 31 other clubs) probably know if we pass on him at 6 that there is no way he lasts 11 more picks to 17.

So his time has come. He seems to be a good kid with a head squarely on his shoulders. Good luck to him riding out the inevitable twists and turns of an early NFL career.

Obviously this is Baker Mayfield himself trying to save face after his comments a few weeks ago. Nice try, Baker.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, brooks1957 said:

A few thoughts:

Welcome to the Giants forum bro thanks for stopping by appreciate the take. 

I hated the pick at the time I have to be honest. I wanted Josh Allen (who has looked like an absolute monster), but I get why they did it. QBs always go higher than we think they will. I bet the Broncos or Bengals would have drafted Danny Boy at 10 or 11. But since he has been drafted he has done everything right, which is not an insignificant thing. Plus they owe it to the rest of the team to find out if he's the guy (especially Saquon).

Go get em Danny Boy. You made me a believer. 

I just wish the Giants hadn't traded up for DeAndre Baker though. Yeesh. I was hoping Dalton Risner would be there at 37 and he was >:(  

• Like 1