General News and Notes

.Buzz

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

You can sign him when we cut him.

I don’t see a trade happening when teams know he is going to be a cap casualty. 

Nor would anyone trade anything for an extremely average corner making $15-$16M per.

On 17/02/2020 at 5:56 PM, .Buzz said:

Nor would anyone trade anything for an extremely average corner making $15-$16M per.

He wouldn't be averaging that as a trade though.  He'd be ~$11M for a solid #2CB.  Wouldn't say there can't be interest in that.  We'd be eating the $4-5M discrepancy there.  Which we're swallowing either way...

Which is the point on the structure of contracts not being that brilliant overall.  It's "easy" to walk away from a contract, but when it's a contract they want to walk away from...and still counts for 5M...it's not that easy.  That's a pretty darn good depth player at least.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

He wouldn't be averaging that as a trade though.  He'd be ~$11M for a solid #2CB.  Wouldn't say there can't be interest in that.  We'd be eating the $4-5M discrepancy there.  Which we're swallowing either way...

Which is the point on the structure of contracts not being that brilliant overall.  It's "easy" to walk away from a contract, but when it's a contract they want to walk away from...and still counts for 5M...it's not that easy.  That's a pretty darn good depth player at least.

If there was anyway to trade a player for comp...a team wouldn't cut a player.

Even with the lower cap hit it's still too much and you could get what Bouye has been playing at for less while keeping picks.

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If there was anyway to trade a player for comp...a team wouldn't cut a player.

Even with the lower cap hit it's still too much and you could get what Bouye has been playing at for less while keeping picks.

Have you seen what #2CBs have been signing for as FAs lately?

Marcus Peters who was just nearly a castoff...just signed a deal that pays him like $15, 13, 12M sort of numbers.

Edited by Tugboat

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Have you seen what #2CBs have been signing for as FAs lately?

Marcus Peters who was just nearly a castoff...just signed a deal that pays him like $15, 13, 12M sort of numbers.

Marcus Peters has been much better than Bouye. Played very well for BAL after the team switch. 

Bouye is getting so much love from his 2017 season but these last two years have been largely not good. 

Again, a front office calls and talks to teams. They wouldn't cut a player if there was anyway to get compensation. 

Even if he somehow did, FA would largely have to play out and getting that cap space would do little to nothing. Teams would rather try and find that level of corner at what they'd have to pay him (which they very well could) without losing draft compensation.

Edited by .Buzz

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Marcus Peters has been much better than Bouye. Played very well for BAL after the team switch. 

Bouye is getting so much love from his 2017 season but these last two years have been largely not good. 

Again, a front office calls and talks to teams. They wouldn't cut a player if there was anyway to get compensation. 

Even if he somehow did, FA would largely have to play out and getting that cap space would do little to nothing. Teams would rather try and find that level of corner at what they'd have to pay him (which they very well could) without losing draft compensation.

He played much worse than Bouye before the trade too though.  So we're handing out hose sort of contracts on half a season basis.  Top CBs aren't cheap.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

He played much worse than Bouye before the trade too though.  So we're handing out hose sort of contracts on half a season basis.  Top CBs aren't cheap.  

Peters had a poor stretch this year, but he's largely been a top level corner for most of his career. Rams fans loved him just last year. It's not a half season bias.

The rest of my points still stand. Teams would rather just pay to get guys, not pay AND trade picks. Maybe if someone at the end of the top corners leaving would give a low level pick...still would rather have that added space prior to everyone being off the board.

22 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Peters had a poor stretch this year, but he's largely been a top level corner for most of his career. Rams fans loved him just last year. It's not a half season bias.

The rest of my points still stand. Teams would rather just pay to get guys, not pay AND trade picks. Maybe if someone at the end of the top corners leaving would give a low level pick...still would rather have that added space prior to everyone being off the board.

For every good signing theres a nnamdi or even revis signing.

Fwiw the ravens are potentially revamping their secondary with the cut of Jefferson, with a potential cuts of jimmy smith and brandon carr. 

Also for emphasis on peters he was the 3rd cb or 4th on their dc in the playoffs.  Humphrey and carr were the starters. 

Edited by LinderFournette

On 2/19/2020 at 12:26 PM, Tugboat said:

I just don't see where the front office are going to magically find a "solid CB" for the sort of money they've already sunk into Bouye.  It's just swapping parts for no reason.

Thats my feeling as well. I suppose its worth the risk to sink half the money into a nickel and see if he can play #2 just to give it a shot and use the rest to get a better player elsewhere

I'm acting like we're in a position to compete anyways and we arent. New playoff rules or not, we aren't competing so cutting Bouye isn't the end all be all. All I'm saying is replacing him in free agency is still going to be an overpay which we shouldn't bother with to begin with

What is it going to cost us to unload Foles on another team? I was looking at some mocks(mocks mind you, I know they aren't real) but some had us giving up #20 and get a mid/late round back to get rid of him. Does it really cost us that much? If so, I think id rather keep him for another year but let GM know he's the guy or at least money isn't going to be the deciding factor then cut Foles where there's no dead money. We need to get younger and trading that pick to save money doesnt help us

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What is it going to cost us to unload Foles on another team? I was looking at some mocks(mocks mind you, I know they aren't real) but some had us giving up #20 and get a mid/late round back to get rid of him. Does it really cost us that much? If so, I think id rather keep him for another year but let GM know he's the guy or at least money isn't going to be the deciding factor then cut Foles where there's no dead money. We need to get younger and trading that pick to save money doesnt help us

Id imagine a 2nd and have the trade worded that tge receiving team is responsible for the entire contract

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

isn't there sometimes dead money in trading though? thats non-negotiable?

That's why if it took close to that much just keep him. There's no gain besides just seeing him off the roster for this year...