General News and Notes

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Interesting...

That's not interesting.  That's a foregone conclusion.  If this team doesn't win this year...it'll be the rest of the housecleaning they probably should've done after last year.

There are limits, even to how long Khan will let you build terrible teams, before some pink slips get handed out.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I would if we were at a different stage.

Sure, we are trying to win now, but as a fan we all realize where we sit. If we were a legit contender I wouldn't have any issue. That's just me though.

The thing you just posted after, disagrees.  This team fundamentally and financially cannot afford another ground up rebuild.  They need to make this team stop sucking, immediate...or everyone is gone and the team is on a boat somewhere in the mid-atlantic.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

That's not interesting.  That's a foregone conclusion.  If this team doesn't win this year...it'll be the rest of the housecleaning they probably should've done after last year.

There are limits, even to how long Khan will let you build terrible teams, before some pink slips get handed out.

I agree, but I thought getting to 8-8+ they'd be safe personally. Not that I agree with it, but if they kept their jobs given the last two years, I thought it'd take an under .500 to get them gone.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I agree, but I thought getting to 8-8+ they'd be safe personally. Not that I agree with it, but if they kept their jobs given the last two years, I thought it'd take an under .500 to get them gone.

If 8-8 gets them to the playoffs somehow...maybe.  But just being perfectly mediocre probably doesn't save anybody.  It certainly should save guys who have already had multiple kicks at the can and botched it ever year after year after year.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The thing you just posted after, disagrees.  This team fundamentally and financially cannot afford another ground up rebuild.  They need to make this team stop sucking, immediate...or everyone is gone and the team is on a boat somewhere in the mid-atlantic.

London is a far fetched dream given the current landscape of the NFL and the issues it'd cause until flying advances further. Just because theyre playing there to make JAX a more profitable market doesn't mean we'd move permanently there if there was a sufficient market in the US to move to.

Edited by .Buzz

Just now, .Buzz said:

London is a far fetched dream given the current landscape of the NFL and the issues it'd cause until flying advances further. Just because their playing their to make JAX a more profitable market doesn't mean we'd move permanently there if there was a sufficient market in the US to move to.

Okay media stooge.

They're not slowly transitioning to more and more London games each year, and trying to lock in and solidify that...just to keep some bum**** port town in Florida on the NFL map.  They ripped a team out of bigger and more important media markets than Jacksonville for far less.

If they can move the Rams back and forth between major markets without flinching.  Or yank a deeply entrenched team with a vibrant fan culture out of a huge market like Oakland, without a second thought.  You think the Jaguars are "safe" in Jacksonville in the future?  Half the NFL fans probably don't even know where the **** Jacksonville is.  They're be more likely to find London on a map probably.

This team is owned by a guy whose entire MO has be to do this sort of ****.  Buy low, elevate value, land tons of contracts, and then move it to a place that makes him more money.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Okay media stooge.

They're not slowly transitioning to more and more London games each year, and trying to lock in and solidify that...just to keep some bum**** port town in Florida on the NFL map.  They ripped a team out of bigger and more important media markets than Jacksonville for far less.

If they can move the Rams back and forth between major markets without flinching.  Or yank a deeply entrenched team with a vibrant fan culture out of a huge market like Oakland, without a second thought.  You think the Jaguars are "safe" in Jacksonville in the future?  Half the NFL fans probably don't even know where the **** Jacksonville is.  They're be more likely to find London on a map probably.

This team is owned by a guy whose entire MO has be to do this sort of ****.  Buy low, elevate value, land tons of contracts, and then move it to a place that makes him more money.

Okay, let's calm down now...

I never said they were safe in Jacksonville. I said they would move somewhere in the US if there's a sufficient market rather than London.

Edited by .Buzz

On 12/03/2020 at 6:54 AM, .Buzz said:

Jones and Bradbury are about it as far as top.corners, no?

Makes me kinda circle back to the idea of tossing a pick away for Darius Slay, who is reportedly being shopped.  Kinda sucky option in that you're both burning a pick...and he's looking for an extension so you're going to immediately be throwing bags of money at him too.  Burning capital on two fronts.

But he's still a bonafide #1CB.  Getting a pick for Bouye kinda makes it more palatable.  We'd be sending away a better pick than we got for AJ, but we have enough picks that we're probably not going to be able to roster them all anyway.  Plus, it'd be an upgrade imo, so probably worth it...if that's the plan.

This is kinda where i griped that it didn't really make a lot of sense to get rid of Bouye in the first place though.  He was very..."meh" and overpaid for what he was bringing to the table...but still kinda better than going absolutely wild throwing crazy money at other options.  There's just not a lot out there, and the frenzy to grab those few options is going to get expensive in a hurry.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Makes me kinda circle back to the idea of tossing a pick away for Darius Slay, who is reportedly being shopped.  Kinda sucky option in that you're both burning a pick...and he's looking for an extension so you're going to immediately be throwing bags of money at him too.  Burning capital on two fronts.

But he's still a bonafide #1CB.  Getting a pick for Bouye kinda makes it more palatable.  We'd be sending away a better pick than we got for AJ, but we have enough picks that we're probably not going to be able to roster them all anyway.  Plus, it'd be an upgrade imo, so probably worth it...if that's the plan.

This is kinda where i griped that it didn't really make a lot of sense to get rid of Bouye in the first place though.  He was very..."meh" and overpaid for what he was bringing to the table...but still kinda better than going absolutely wild throwing crazy money at other options.  There's just not a lot out there, and the frenzy to grab those few options is going to get expensive in a hurry.

I mean Bouyes contract is still gonna be more than what a Bradbury would cost and close to what Jones is gonna get...

I just wasn't for keeping him barring a restructure. His play just hasn't warranted close to 16.5M the last two years. I do get the worry of not having a replacement, but I'd rather see what a young guy can do or find someone playing better at his cap number.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean Bouyes contract is still gonna be more than what a Bradbury would cost and close to what Jones is gonna get...

I just wasn't for keeping him barring a restructure. His play just hasn't warranted close to 16.5M the last two years. I do get the worry of not having a replacement, but I'd rather see what a young guy can do or find someone playing better at his cap number.

Yeah.  It's fair enough, in that Bouyes number clearly stood out as excess spending on very mediocre at best performance.  Just feels like a big roll of the dice, when you're staring down the barrel of potentially spending similarly...with an even lower potential floor if they don't work out in your system (which we know Bouye can).  Or just whiffing altogether, which would be...very bad.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's fair enough, in that Bouyes number clearly stood out as excess spending on very mediocre at best performance.  Just feels like a big roll of the dice, when you're staring down the barrel of potentially spending similarly...with an even lower potential floor if they don't work out in your system (which we know Bouye can).  Or just whiffing altogether, which would be...very bad.

Luckily they do seem like they know what works in their system. When we've drafted corners/signed them they generally have worked out solid. 

Guess we'll see. Just surprised to see that FA was the route for corner and not the draft... although that could change.

Luckily they do seem like they know what works in their system. When we've drafted corners/signed them they generally have worked out solid. 

Guess we'll see. Just surprised to see that FA was the route for corner and not the draft... although that could change.

I think in a pretty "do or die" year for this regime...it pretty much has to be that way.  Rookie CBs, even Top-10 pick types, are pretty dicey when it comes to leaning on them to win games as a #1 shutdown corner.

It's where all the CJ Henderson pick mocks don't really make the most sense to me.  He's got upside, but i don't think he's necessarily a super polished plug 'n play, day 1 lockdown #1CB type.  So if that's the pick...i'd expect they pretty much have to double-dip, getting a significant guy in FA anyway.  Though whiffing in FA could change things...'cause it gets even dicier leaning on a later pick CB to step in and start at the top of your depth chart right away.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I think in a pretty "do or die" year for this regime...it pretty much has to be that way.  Rookie CBs, even Top-10 pick types, are pretty dicey when it comes to leaning on them to win games as a #1 shutdown corner.

It's where all the CJ Henderson pick mocks don't really make the most sense to me.  He's got upside, but i don't think he's necessarily a super polished plug 'n play, day 1 lockdown #1CB type.  So if that's the pick...i'd expect they pretty much have to double-dip, getting a significant guy in FA anyway.  Though whiffing in FA could change things...'cause it gets even dicier leaning on a later pick CB to step in and start at the top of your depth chart right away.

I expect an average corner ala Amukamara at the very least I'm FA. Hayden needs to stick in the slot and although I like Herndon he's also very young. I'd expect an average at least corner via FA and a CB in the draft in first 3-4 rounds.

Defense is going to be most of our draft outside maybe a receiver, OL, and potentially a late Rd RB.

I expect an average corner ala Amukamara at the very least I'm FA. Hayden needs to stick in the slot and although I like Herndon he's also very young. I'd expect an average at least corner via FA and a CB in the draft in first 3-4 rounds.

Defense is going to be most of our draft outside maybe a receiver, OL, and potentially a late Rd RB.

Yeah.  We've got realistically 4 picks that i think you could expect to contribute right from the start.  I'd be surprised if most of those aren't spent on defense.  After that...with those 4th round and on sort of picks...it feels like those could pretty much go anywhere, wherever BPA dictates, since we have holes and lacking depth pretty much everywhere.  But most of those are likely going to be projects, depth, and STers as far as next year is concerned.

Crazy how quickly we went from defensive players in the draft feeling like "luxury picks"...to honestly pretty dire "need" picks.  xD