General News and Notes

.Buzz

9 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I’m all for upgrading the spot but at what cost? In 3 yrs 2 top 38 picks on a spot as important as LT is ridiculous if that’s the plan that’s cool. I’m opposed to drafting a LT and some how Cam becomes your swing tackle in a rotation it’s going to look foolish.

How is it ridiculous to spend picks on trying to figure out a spot as important as LT though?  I mean, you just said it yourself...it's a hugely important position to get solid.  Spending a pair of 2nd round picks on the spot isn't like the Joeckel disaster.  Especially considering i don't see much reason at least one of Cam or Taylor couldn't be very good OGs, where also still need upgrades.

You're not just throwing those players away either.  You're just...re-assigning them as "2nd round pick spend on an OG".  Which gives you the sort of flexibility good OLines have too, if you do run into an injury and need someone to fill in at one of the Tackle spots.  Instead of just calling on a "swing tackle" depth grundle to step in at LT as this organization has catastrophically done in the past...your, "LT down" scenario would suddenly become our, "everyone's healthy 2019 season" type scenario basically.  With Cam or Taylor stepping in at LT, and the other at RT.  You can find some chump to play less than disastrous G for a while, a lot easier than you can find a guy who can play tackle competently - yet sit on your bench making peanuts all year otherwise.

Your depth chart at Tackle is allowed to overlap with your current starting lineup on the Interior.  In fact...it's the smart, deep, and resilient way to do it...if you can.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I strongly disagree. He had his issues at times with penalties, but went toe to toe with very good to elite pass rusher after elite pass rusher and only gave up 8 sacks, and only 2 of those in the final 10 games. Cam Robinson never looked close to as comfortable in pass pro at any point. Taylor was always seen as a mauler.

I just don't agree with that.  Cam Robinson in his rookie season, was making us all wonder if we'd miraculously lucked into a "decent enough LT" in the 2nd round.  We took a division title and went on to nearly take a conference championship with Cam as a rookie LT in pass protection.  Even when he was obviously kinda playing hobbled at times.  I'm not sure where that got blacked out of your memory.  Not just, "he got less terrible as the season went on at RT"...but actually..."is he going to be our sufficient enough LT of the future?"  Pass protection has always been a bit of an issue with Cam...but before the injury, it looked like he'd be able to at least mostly hold up.  Unless he's total damaged goods now, i don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to at least hold up as a serviceable RT.

Taylor on the other hand looked every bit the "project" he was billed as.  The only big highlights for me being...when he was able to get really aggressive and focused on the right assignment in the run game really.  Had some nice "dominating" moments...but as a whole, seemed like a liability.  Managing to stymie an anemic Raiders pass rush in a blowoff game isn't on the same level as what Cam did as a rookie Tackle in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I just don't agree with that.  Cam Robinson in his rookie season, was making us all wonder if we'd miraculously lucked into a "decent enough LT" in the 2nd round.  We took a division title and went on to nearly take a conference championship with Cam as a rookie LT in pass protection.  Even when he was obviously kinda playing hobbled at times.  I'm not sure where that got blacked out of your memory.  Not just, "he got less terrible as the season went on at RT"...but actually..."is he going to be our sufficient enough LT of the future?"  Pass protection has always been a bit of an issue with Cam...but before the injury, it looked like he'd be able to at least mostly hold up.  Unless he's total damaged goods now, i don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to at least hold up as a serviceable RT.

Taylor on the other hand looked every bit the "project" he was billed as.  The only big highlights for me being...when he was able to get really aggressive and focused on the right assignment in the run game really.  Had some nice "dominating" moments...but as a whole, seemed like a liability.  Managing to stymie an anemic Raiders pass rush in a blowoff game isn't on the same level as what Cam did as a rookie Tackle in the NFL.

I felt good about Cam his rookie year, sure. But that was due to his very good run blocking with the hope he'd fix his pass blocking with development.

He literally dominated Crosby who was fantastic this season as an edge. The giy was matched up across from him most of the game and never once did anything notable...and that guy is good.

42 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I felt good about Cam his rookie year, sure. But that was due to his very good run blocking with the hope he'd fix his pass blocking with development.

He literally dominated Crosby who was fantastic this season as an edge. The giy was matched up across from him most of the game and never once did anything notable...and that guy is good.

🤨 Maxx Crosby good? The kid had a promising rookie season 4 of his 10 sacks came in 1 game against the Bengals and he had sacks against a bunch of untalented olines. Nobody even mentioned him in the same vein as Bosa and Allen and for good reason. He could become a solid pro and he could also be Vic Beasley. That Raiders dline was the epitome of just playing sound discipline football.. that dline was subpar as hell at best pass rush wise. 

13 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

🤨 Maxx Crosby good? The kid had a promising rookie season 4 of his 10 sacks came in 1 game against the Bengals and he had sacks against a bunch of untalented olines. Nobody even mentioned him in the same vein as Bosa and Allen and for good reason. He could become a solid pro and he could also be Vic Beasley. That Raiders dline was the epitome of just playing sound discipline football.. that dline was subpar as hell at best pass rush wise. 

He had 31 pressures and 16 hurries. He was very solid and looks like he's going to be a good pass rusher, yes.

Edited by .Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Think he's older than they'd like.

ya bit hes still under 30 and we dont have a Guy whos worth starting AT NT.   i just dont see the jags spending big this year....readers probably looking at atleast 13. 

A'Shawn Robinson makes some sense(hes 25). 

Danny Shelton whos strictly a NT is only 27.  

Jarran Reed is 27.  

while age should be considered we can always sign a stop gap like a 27 year old and develop a DT something weve actually been decent at doing. 

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

ya bit hes still under 30 and we dont have a Guy whos worth starting AT NT.   i just dont see the jags spending big this year....readers probably looking at atleast 13. 

A'Shawn Robinson makes some sense(hes 25). 

Danny Shelton whos strictly a NT is only 27.  

Jarran Reed is 27.  

while age should be considered we can always sign a stop gap like a 27 year old and develop a DT something weve actually been decent at doing. 

I don't think there going to want to spend double digit salary to a 28-29 year old DT.