Jump to content
.Buzz

General News and Notes

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'd laugh my *** off if Foles went to NE and won his second ring.  I wouldn't stop laughing for like a year probably.  That would just be absolutely ******* perfect.

Considering his supporting cast here would be better I would be very surprised.

But you never know with Belichick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaguars got a 4th for Nick Foles and Cam Newton is about to get outright released...

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Jaguars got a 4th for Nick Foles and Cam Newton is about to get outright released...

giphy.gif

We should probably sign him when he is released tbh.  For the ultimate troll job.  But also...if he actually does have anything left with that wobbly foot of his, to play at anything close to the level he used to be capable of...that'd be pretty dope.  Though i think that's the thing that's pretty much up in the air, and has kept teams skeptical.  Cam without that running threat and a bum plant foot for throwing isn't a great recipe for success.  Whereas Foles isn't really "damaged goods" so much.

Edited by Tugboat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

We should probably sign him when he is released tbh.  For the ultimate troll job.  But also...if he actually does have anything left with that wobbly foot of his, to play at anything close to the level he used to be capable of...that'd be pretty dope.  Though i think that's the thing that's pretty much up in the air, and has kept teams skeptical.  Cam without that running threat and a bum plant foot for throwing isn't a great recipe for success.  Whereas Foles isn't really "damaged goods" so much.

True, but Cam isn't likely going to cost anymore than Foles and has also had issues staying healthy/getting hurt.

Idk, maybe it's just me but I'd easily rather take a chance with Cam than Foles. Not that I think he's definitely better, but the upside is so much higher if this rest/surgery he's gotten done can get him back to even somewhat close to his normal level of play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

True, but Cam isn't likely going to cost anymore than Foles and has also had issues staying healthy/getting hurt.

Idk, maybe it's just me but I'd easily rather take a chance with Cam than Foles. Not that I think he's definitely better, but the upside is so much higher if this rest/surgery he's gotten done can get him back to even somewhat close to his normal level of play.

Yeah.  Absolutely with you there.

Especially for us, considering our situation and the fact we've already failed fast on the Foles experiment.

 

A Cam experiment is probably a coin flip at best, whether he can still play at a reasonable level or not.  But like you said, if he can, the upside is pretty nice there.  We're in a position where we can probably afford to play that gamble.  I know there's no chance Cam ever gets all of his mobility back...but even just some of that, in a backfield with Fournette...that's some big men.  That'd force some decisions.

I can see why Foles would make more sense to the Bears though.  They really need a more concrete, viable PlanB for when Trubisky inevitably falls flat again.  Whereas Cam...that's an experiment that has an awfully low floor if the injuries have made it so the guy just flat out can't play competently anymore.  Which would put them...right back at Trubisky, with no real fallback plan.  Exactly where they don't want to be.

 

For the Jaguars though...no question, i'd rather gamble on Cam at this point, without hesitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is a UDFA making pennies compared to most doing this...

Quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

This guy is a UDFA making pennies compared to most doing this...

Quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Probably an extension coming soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Probably an extension coming soon. 

Hopefully in the future, sure. But don't think that's coming this off-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“At the end of the day, to be in a locker room where I know they’re committed to winning and to be in a locker where the culture is strong, where we have a big winning culture and I won’t have to chase around guys getting them to buy in, that was a big selling point,” Campbell said.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/03/calais-campbell-greenlit-trade-to-ravens-to-avoid-chasing-around-guys-getting-them-to-buy-in.html

If those players ala Ramsey, Fowler, and co. (I know those two for sure, but there's plenty more I'm sure) wouldn't listen to Calais then they'll never listen to anyone.

Just ridiculous to think back on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

“At the end of the day, to be in a locker room where I know they’re committed to winning and to be in a locker where the culture is strong, where we have a big winning culture and I won’t have to chase around guys getting them to buy in, that was a big selling point,” Campbell said.

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/03/calais-campbell-greenlit-trade-to-ravens-to-avoid-chasing-around-guys-getting-them-to-buy-in.html

If those players ala Ramsey, Fowler, and co. (I know those two for sure, but there's plenty more I'm sure) wouldn't listen to Calais then they'll never listen to anyone.

Just ridiculous to think back on.

It's also ridiculous that an organization with these sort of apparent culture problems getting real buy-in to winning...is planning on turning that around somehow, by getting rid of the guy fighting to build something in that locker room.  But whatever.

Pretty bleak condemnation of this organization at this point, that Calais sounds like he'd basically just become completely tired of trying to wrestle this group into line.  Not that i blame him for just wanting out, to go to a team in the Ravens that has pretty much perpetually had its ducks in a row and a strong culture of expectations of buy-in and winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's also ridiculous that an organization with these sort of apparent culture problems getting real buy-in to winning...is planning on turning that around somehow, by getting rid of the guy fighting to build something in that locker room.  But whatever.

Pretty bleak condemnation of this organization at this point, that Calais sounds like he'd basically just become completely tired of trying to wrestle this group into line.  Not that i blame him for just wanting out, to go to a team in the Ravens that has pretty much perpetually had its ducks in a row and a strong culture of expectations of buy-in and winning.

Ultimately, unless a team is actually winning, those type of culture things are always going to be a thing.

Like in Baltimore, if they went 5-11 last season they wouldn't be regarded/have that type of culture in the locker room he's referencing. Same goes for any team that isn't over .500/making the playoffs regardless of tenure/how long a group has been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ultimately, unless a team is actually winning, those type of culture things are always going to be a thing.

Like in Baltimore, if they went 5-11 last season they wouldn't be regarded/have that type of culture in the locker room he's referencing. Same goes for any team that isn't over .500/making the playoffs regardless of tenure/how long a group has been there.

Ehhh...i don't think that's really true.  Even when Baltimore aren't at the top...certain organizations just have an entrenched "way of doing things" that everyone around the league kinda acknowledges.  It's like...the Steelers last year for example.  That team was a wreck at QB and lost a lot accordingly...but you still have people looking at them as a team with a strong competitive culture that does things "the right way".

Obviously takes a lot of years of winning and strong leadership from the top down to impose that sort of "winning culture".  A lot of focus on that sort of stuff in who they bring in and who they don't.  But once it's established, it's more resilient than i think you're giving credence to.

 

Just like the perpetual "losing culture" in Jacksonville is so pervasive and difficult to break out of.  Even when you bring in great leaders like Calais.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×