General News and Notes

.Buzz

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

He can believe that. We may say that. But Dalton isn't taking us anywhere... the only way this team gets good is by Minshew being the answer or drafting a guy. They know this.

Do they though?

We know this.  But i'm not as sure that Dave and the desperados know it as much as we do.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Do they though?

We know this.  But i'm not as sure that Dave and the desperados know it as much as we do.

I do, yes.

The team picking first overall this year had Dalton last year. 

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I do, yes.

The team picking first overall this year had Dalton last year. 

They also didn't have Dalton for a handful of games last year.

But more importantly...they had the 1st overall pick, with an elite QB prospect on the table.  Of course they'd move on from and aging perpetually mediocre Dalton.  Doesn't mean Dalton is utterly worthless, or that he's viewed as a "backup only" around the league in general.  Even last year, it's not like Dalton was specifically the reason the Bengals were the worst team.  They had a boatload of other bigger issues.

I think you're underestimating how much stock GMs (and coaches) around the league, especially ones in precarious situations like Doug and Dave...can put in the proven track record of a starting NFL QB.

If they do sign Dalton...i'd put it at significantly better than even odds that he ends up starting for us.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

They also didn't have Dalton for a handful of games last year.

But more importantly...they had the 1st overall pick, with an elite QB prospect on the table.  Of course they'd move on from and aging perpetually mediocre Dalton.  Doesn't mean Dalton is utterly worthless, or that he's viewed as a "backup only" around the league in general.  Even last year, it's not like Dalton was specifically the reason the Bengals were the worst team.  They had a boatload of other bigger issues.

I think you're underestimating how much stock GMs (and coaches) around the league, especially ones in precarious situations like Doug and Dave...can put in the proven track record of a starting NFL QB.

If they do sign Dalton...i'd put it at significantly better than even odds that he ends up starting for us.

He still got outplayed statistically by Minshew as a rookie with lesser weapons, a worse D, and a lot worse situation surrounding the team. Minshew as a rookie with all of that still won 6 of his 12 starts.

Dalton getting cut has nothing to do with my views. Minshew provides a much higher upside and I'm not sure the floor is much lower if at all. If they wanted the steady vet in here they would have kept Foles. If they really wanted Dalton they could have tossed a late round pick to make sure he's theirs. I don't think they'd risk him getting to the open market and choosing if he was "their guy". I also don't think Gruden accepts an OC job to try and get back in the HC ranks then proceeds to try and get Dalton in the door.

Gonna have to agree to disagree here. 

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He still got outplayed statistically by Minshew as a rookie with lesser weapons, a worse D, and a lot worse situation surrounding the team. Minshew as a rookie with all of that still won 6 of his 12 starts.

Dalton getting cut has nothing to do with my views. Minshew provides a much higher upside and I'm not sure the floor is much lower if at all. If they wanted the steady vet in here they would have kept Foles. If they really wanted Dalton they could have tossed a late round pick to make sure he's theirs. I don't think they'd risk him getting to the open market and choosing if he was "their guy". I also don't think Gruden accepts an OC job to try and get back in the HC ranks then proceeds to try and get Dalton in the door.

Gonna have to agree to disagree here. 

I mean, i agree...I'd go with Minshew over Dalton too.  As a fan with a long-term view of the situation, Dalton seems pretty pointless.

But for a guy like Gruden walking in the door...it's going to come down to an up and down rookie with zero pedigree other than his moustache.  Vs a guy he's worked with before, with a long established track record as a starting caliber QB and is already familiar with the offense.  If he has much say (and i'd wager he probably does), i think it's very much more than possible that Gruden decides he'd like to go with the more "sure thing" he's familiar with, over the marginally higher short-term upside.  Look at what he did in Washington when it came to QBs

Very different goals and ambitions.

"(Minshew's) our quarterback there's no doubt about it, but one of the things that we're doing, we're still looking to make sure we're upgraded at each position. ... There are some veterans out there we might look at to bring in," Marrone said Friday on NFL Network's "Good Morning Football."

The Jaguars and New England Patriots are reportedly among the teams interested in signing Andy Dalton, who was released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday after nine seasons as the team's starter.