General News and Notes

.Buzz

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Bears fan here.  Really curious to hear what you guys think will happen with Foles given Minshew's surprising development this season.

Do you bench the rookie once Foles is healthy enough to return or do you keep rolling with him as long as he continues to play well?

Also is there a realistic chance Marrone is canned after this season and if so do you think that makes Foles available for trade or is he a release candidate?  This is assuming Minshew continues to play well and proves that he deserves a chance at being a starter in this league.

Lots of talk about what the Bears will do at QB since it's looking like a real possibility at this point that they will be looking to upgrade on Trubisky after this year.

Foles is a guy that gets talked about a lot due to his connection with Matt Nagy and coming from that Reid/Philly offense.

Foles will be the starter because Coughlin didn’t bring Foles here to do him dirty. He’s going to give Foles every opportunity to be the man. Plus the character of Foles plays into this if Foles was Cam Newton persona wise I think they would make the change. Although it’s Marrone’s team he’ll probably have the final say. Plus personally first three games he played lights out last 3 games not so hot.. you can’t unseat somebody by just being status quo. If you’re not playing out of your mind and stalling in the red zone against the Bengals.. that ain’t gon win you the job chief.

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

I'd love it if the Ravens acquired Yannick from you guys. He's an amazing young player just entering his prime at a key position. I don't think it's exactly a big secret that the Ravens were likely going to pick him at #70 had the Jags not nabbed him at #69 either. That's just one more layer to the Jags-Ravens 2016 Draft intrigue. He also was a name that popped up as a potential trade target for us before the Ramsey saga even kicked off this season, so it doesn't surprise that noise is picking back up as we approach the deadline. 

All that said, there's been NO indication that your club is interested in moving him. The guys claiming 'sources' gave them information about an offer are nobodies in Ravens' media. Now, our actual top info guys heard nothing before the Marcus Peters trade broke. So it's not like there's going to be smoke for every trade that gets swung. I really don't think you guys should fret over this one though.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I'd love it if the Ravens acquired Yannick from you guys. He's an amazing young player just entering his prime at a key position. I don't think it's exactly a big secret that the Ravens were likely going to pick him at #70 had the Jags not nabbed him at #69 either. That's just one more layer to the Jags-Ravens 2016 Draft intrigue. He also was a name that popped up as a potential trade target for us before the Ramsey saga even kicked off this season, so it doesn't surprise that noise is picking back up as we approach the deadline. 

All that said, there's been NO indication that your club is interested in moving him. The guys claiming 'sources' gave them information about an offer are nobodies in Ravens' media. Now, our actual top info guys heard nothing before the Marcus Peters trade broke. So it's not like there's going to be smoke for every trade that gets swung. I really don't think you guys should fret over this one though.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't trade him ESPECIALLY to another team that will finish very close to 32

9 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Foles will be the starter because Coughlin didn’t bring Foles here to do him dirty. He’s going to give Foles every opportunity to be the man. Plus the character of Foles plays into this if Foles was Cam Newton persona wise I think they would make the change. Although it’s Marrone’s team he’ll probably have the final say. Plus personally first three games he played lights out last 3 games not so hot.. you can’t unseat somebody by just being status quo. If you’re not playing out of your mind and stalling in the red zone against the Bengals.. that ain’t gon win you the job chief.

Does it though? Its not like Gardner is anything less than a high character guy

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Which is exactly why we shouldn't trade him ESPECIALLY to another team that will finish very close to 32

Yea, you should be pretty upset as a Jags' fan if they moved him. I mean for example if the Ravens traded Marlon Humphrey- I would be beyond furious. And you guys already had to deal with that scenario, a superstar franchise CB being dealt. Then to lose another young stud on top of it in Ngakoue?!.... That's two concrete moves that put you much much farther away from winning a championship, which is the sole goal for any NFL club. That's bad team building and a gut punch to loyal fans of the Jaguars. 

Now I'm sure you'd get good compensation. DeCosta is great friends with your GM, and isn't going to offer some scrub deal. It's just hard to see why even a strong/reasonable deal would make sense for you guys. It doesn't seem like Yannick is pressing to get off the team like Ramsey did, and you'll have the money to pay him long term. There's no reason to move him,...that I know of \_:S_/. Just lock him up, and pair him with Josh Allen for the foreseeable future. Seems simple enough. That's why I don't think you guys should worry about this one.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yea, you should be pretty upset as a Jags' fan if they moved him. I mean for example if the Ravens traded Marlon Humphrey- I would be beyond furious. And you guys already had to deal with that scenario, a superstar franchise CB being dealt. Then to lose another young stud on top of it in Ngakoue?!.... That's two concrete moves that put you much much farther away from winning a championship, which is the sole goal for any NFL club. That's bad team building and a gut punch to loyal fans of the Jaguars. 

Now I'm sure you'd get good compensation. DeCosta is great friends with your GM, and isn't going to offer some scrub deal. It's just hard to see why even a strong/reasonable deal would make sense for you guys. It doesn't seem like Yannick is pressing to get off the team like Ramsey did, and you'll have the money to pay him long term. There's no reason to move him,...that I know of \_:S_/. Just lock him up, and pair him with Josh Allen for the foreseeable future. Seems simple enough. That's why I don't think you guys should worry about this one.

Yea its one of those things that even a ridiculous offer still would upset me because this franchise went like a decade without a legit pass rusher and finally drafted someone that could be that guy for a whole decade, so to move him would kill me. Same thing I felt when we dealt Ramsey although he wanted out. Haven't drafted a note-worthy CB since Rashean Mathis 

On 22/10/2019 at 12:37 PM, topwop1 said:

Bears fan here.  Really curious to hear what you guys think will happen with Foles given Minshew's surprising development this season.

Do you bench the rookie once Foles is healthy enough to return or do you keep rolling with him as long as he continues to play well?

Also is there a realistic chance Marrone is canned after this season and if so do you think that makes Foles available for trade or is he a release candidate?  This is assuming Minshew continues to play well and proves that he deserves a chance at being a starter in this league.

Lots of talk about what the Bears will do at QB since it's looking like a real possibility at this point that they will be looking to upgrade on Trubisky after this year.

Foles is a guy that gets talked about a lot due to his connection with Matt Nagy and coming from that Reid/Philly offense.

Who really knows what happens with Minshew/Foles when he's back healthy, and ready to go.  But even then...i think Foles contract structure makes him almost impossible to trade.  This year and next at least.  A team like the Bears would have to give up something pretty crazy to make it worth swallowing all that dead cap.  It'd certainly be an interesting plot twist, and might even make some sense for where the Bears are at right now...but it'd just cost so much for the Jaguars, it's hard to see it happening.

On 22/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why Why WHY would we trade him?

Uhhh because we dont want to sign him long term?

WHY IN THE HELL WOULDNT WE WANT TO?!?!? He’s young, ultra talented and not a pain in the arse. Really hope this is all smoke

Yeah.  Yan is basically the textbook example of the type of guy you pay, and are happy to do so.  He's relatively young, productive, a great hard-working teammate who doesn't appear to want out.  There's just really no reason to move a guy like that, rather than pay them.  Insane and stupid that it's even a conversation.

The Jalen thing...whatever.  It's a less important position, with a guy who has been a disruption and clearly wanted out.  Trade him.  Whatever.  But Yan carries none of those red flags.  Just pay the man.

On 24/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, .Buzz said:

Weird.  Doesn't really seem like the right sort of guy to go after.  We've got plenty of decent receivers...especially with Chark's emergence.  We either need that stud #1 dominant WR, or really...a good TE.  Not another sort of good middling WR.