General News and Notes

.Buzz

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Man, if you haven't/don't follow EDilla at this point as a Jags fan or believe he has a legit plug then idk what to say. He's been dropping Jaguars nuggets/inside info prior to the big guys for a long time now. Look back through his Twitter...it's all there. 

Believe what you want to believe though.

Even if that’s the case let’s go to say that this was in fact 100% true. If that is the factor it still doesn’t change the course of how you should build the team. If you have 2 players on two different teams at odds and they are both relatively close in playing ability and you can match up numbers to get both a change of scenery then that is a bonus It just so happens it would be areas that would be beneficial for all parties. It doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s direct correlation to YES WE ARE GOING TO UPGRADE THIS POSITION. Of course if the right circumstances line up you do it but just because they attempted to trade for tackle (could just so happen to be that’s the position Williams plays) doesn’t mean that it’s going to be definite that they draft a tackle that high. 

A lot of positions need to be upgraded but realistically are they going to be able to upgrade everything? No.. It’s not possible to fix everything. As bad as Cam is he’s still middle of the pack in terms of LTs. A healthy Cam is still in the 15-18 range among tackles.. if not higher to waste a pick when you have a solid guy is piss poor planning. 

7 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Even if that’s the case let’s go to say that this was in fact 100% true. If that is the factor it still doesn’t change the course of how you should build the team. If you have 2 players on two different teams at odds and they are both relatively close in playing ability and you can match up numbers to get both a change of scenery then that is a bonus It just so happens it would be areas that would be beneficial for all parties. It doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s direct correlation to YES WE ARE GOING TO UPGRADE THIS POSITION. Of course if the right circumstances line up you do it but just because they attempted to trade for tackle (could just so happen to be that’s the position Williams plays) doesn’t mean that it’s going to be definite that they draft a tackle that high. 

A lot of positions need to be upgraded but realistically are they going to be able to upgrade everything? No.. It’s not possible to fix everything. As bad as Cam is he’s still middle of the pack in terms of LTs. A healthy Cam is still in the 15-18 range among tackles.. if not higher to waste a pick when you have a solid guy is piss poor planning. 

Or you know, you could just trade Yan for draft capital that allows you to help build the roster and fill the holes you mention instead of trading for a guy that you feel good at the position they play in LT? Like come on..

They wouldn't be looking at trading for a guy (and paying top 3-5 $) that plays LT if they didn't see the position as something they're interested in upgrading or at the very least getting competition. 

Edited by .Buzz

This OT class is viewed as elite/amazing, especially at the top. If you think you can get your franchise LT and he's there at 9 you take him. Especially given the issues along the OL last year (specifically Cam and Cann).

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This OT class is viewed as elite/amazing, especially at the top. If you think you can get your franchise LT and he's there at 9 you take him. Especially given the issues along the OL last year (specifically Cam and Cann).

I agree but this rookie LT better be God next year because he’ll see Z Smith, Mack, TJ Watt, JJ Watt, Bosa, and Garrett next season to name a few. I’m not a Cam fan by any stretch of the imagination but when you make picks you gotta stick by em. To continuously pick to undo blunders is egregious errors in judgement. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I agree but this rookie LT better be God next year because he’ll see Z Smith, Mack, TJ Watt, JJ Watt, Bosa, and Garrett next season to name a few. I’m not a Cam fan by any stretch of the imagination but when you make picks you gotta stick by em. To continuously pick to undo blunders is egregious errors in judgement. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately that's how drafting works. It's not always going to work out. When a team has 7 picks most people think if 3 of them work out that's a very good draft.

Ultimately all rookies are going to have their ups and downs. Very rarely do you see what Nick Boss/Josh Allen do. Still think a rookie could come in and easily do better pass pro wise than what Cam has done though. I like Cam as a run blocker but it just doesn't look like LT is going to be a long term fixture for him. I'd like to at least see if guard would work for him if we do move him off.

39 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Unfortunately that's how drafting works. It's not always going to work out. When a team has 7 picks most people think if 3 of them work out that's a very good draft.

Ultimately all rookies are going to have their ups and downs. Very rarely do you see what Nick Boss/Josh Allen do. Still think a rookie could come in and easily do better pass pro wise than what Cam has done though. I like Cam as a run blocker but it just doesn't look like LT is going to be a long term fixture for him. I'd like to at least see if guard would work for him if we do move him off.

thats a pretty arbitrary way of looking at it especially since working out means alot of different things depending on what the pick cost. Nailing your 1st 3 picks is a very good draft because that means you probably got 3 good starters but botching those picks and finding good depth/STs guys in round 5-7 is not a good draft even though 3 worked out based on cost

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

thats a pretty arbitrary way of looking at it especially since working out means alot of different things depending on what the pick cost. Nailing your 1st 3 picks is a very good draft because that means you probably got 3 good starters but botching those picks and finding good depth/STs guys in round 5-7 is not a good draft even though 3 worked out based on cost

I'm not talking about finding on ok depth piece in the 5th round as a "hit"...

5 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

The Jags will not draft tackle at 9 when they have Cam under contract. As much as they need upgraded play at that position. They’ll equate last yr to Cam not being fully healthy and he’ll get another go this season. From a schematics standpoint when you have so many holes to fill a pick like that would be pretty idiotic.  

The thing with making a plug 'n play LT pick, is that it has a domino effect of potentially plugging other holes too.

You draft say...Becton, plug in at LT and get improvement there.  Cascades down to letting Cam move over to RT, where he'd offer you an upgrade.  Which then lets you kick Taylor inside to RG where you could get another upgrade.  Norwell and Linder fill out the rest as at least adequate players (with ProBowl caliber seasons on their resumes), and suddenly you've upgraded 3/5 positions on the OLine with one single pick.  That's big ripple impact, and far from idiotic imo.  It's really one of the only spots where i can see that much potential to upgrade multiple spots with one pick.  At a position group whose play as a unit completely neutered our offense, basically two years running now.

31 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The thing with making a plug 'n play LT pick, is that it has a domino effect of potentially plugging other holes too.

You draft say...Becton, plug in at LT and get improvement there.  Cascades down to letting Cam move over to RT, where he'd offer you an upgrade.  Which then lets you kick Taylor inside to RG where you could get another upgrade.  Norwell and Linder fill out the rest as at least adequate players (with ProBowl caliber seasons on their resumes), and suddenly you've upgraded 3/5 positions on the OLine with one single pick.  That's big ripple impact, and far from idiotic imo.  It's really one of the only spots where i can see that much potential to upgrade multiple spots with one pick.  At a position group whose play as a unit completely neutered our offense, basically two years running now.

You don't move Taylor off RT imo. Cam needs to kick inside. Taylor, although he had his penalties, showed promise of being a long term fixture.

29 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I’m all for upgrading the spot but at what cost? In 3 yrs 2 top 38 picks on a spot as important as LT is ridiculous if that’s the plan that’s cool. I’m opposed to drafting a LT and some how Cam becomes your swing tackle in a rotation it’s going to look foolish.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You don't move Taylor off RT imo. Cam needs to kick inside. Taylor, although he had his penalties, showed promise of being a long term fixture.

I’m not so sure about that I think you’re essentially going to run into the same problems you have with Cam with Taylor.. They’ll be addressing RT again in 2 yrs.

15 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I’m not so sure about that I think you’re essentially going to run into the same problems you have with Cam with Taylor.. They’ll be addressing RT again in 2 yrs.

I strongly disagree. He had his issues at times with penalties, but went toe to toe with very good to elite pass rusher after elite pass rusher and only gave up 8 sacks, and only 2 of those in the final 10 games. Cam Robinson never looked close to as comfortable in pass pro at any point. Taylor was always seen as a mauler.

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

only gave up 8 sacks, and only 2 of those in the final 10 games.

🤨 Only?! I don’t know any high caliber Ts in the NFL that ever gave up 8 sacks in any season even a rookie season. Ijs but I hear you🤷‍♂️

Edited by DuvalsKing

13 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

🤨 Only?! I don’t know any high caliber Ts in the NFL that ever gave up 8 sacks in any season even a rookie season. Ijs but I hear you🤷‍♂️

I'm not bragging about the total, I'm trying to highlight the final 10 game (including dominating Maxx Crosby who was great as a rookie edge) and co. in Oakland as well as the other games over the course of the final 10 games.

He showed great improvement over the season. He was seen as very raw in pass pro coming out and had a below average AJ Cann next to him.

Edited by .Buzz

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I guess you could try that, but Cam's rookie season as a LT was better than Taylor's as a RT imo.  Which says something...unless Cam's injuries really have destroyed his potential.  Taylor to me, has that mauling mentality that could be a real asset as a G, and maybe minimize some of his liabilities that show up as a T.

Whichever way you shuffle it around though...plugging in a solid LT, means you have whichever of Cam or Taylor to kick inside.  Somehow, you're going to find a way to get an upgrade at the all important LT anchor position, and a RG upgrade out of the deal, and whether the "upgrade" at RT comes from Cam moving there, or just Taylor sucking less there with more experience...you're getting better pretty much across the line.  That's the point.  You have to think laterally though, to upgrade multiple positions at once...and it only works in a couple spots.