General News and Notes

.Buzz

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I don’t think I’ve seen a single mock not have those three go top 5, so I kept them all off. But yeah, if somehow Burrow makes it to 9, my “Dave isn’t allowed to draft a QB” rule goes out the window.

First 2 yea i agree, i guess seeing Simmons included was interesting since i figured he’d be just as high as Okudah

5 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

First 2 yea i agree, i guess seeing Simmons included was interesting since i figured he’d be just as high as Okudah

Eh, Okudah has DET there and then who knows if anyone else goes corner that high. Maybe Carolina?

Simmons has NYG, LAC, CAR, and Arizona who I could all see going Simmons. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, Okudah has DET there and then who knows if anyone else goes corner that high. Maybe Carolina?

Simmons has NYG, LAC, CAR, and Arizona who I could all see going Simmons. 

There's also been some speculation that Okudah isn't the top CB on some teams' boards. So it's possible that if someone did go CB, that they'd maybe go with Henderson. 

I can't see Simmons not being the first LB/S off the board. Just seems completely implausible, given Mike Mayock likely won't be making another ridiculous choice that leads to an elite player falling.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Not surprising. For a number of reasons.

If we're able to get something ok for him I'll be thrilled.

He's a solid back that won't be kept past this year. He isn't a great fit for the way our offense is headed imo. Plus if there is any semblance of an issue from the past I'd prefer to not have that come up later.

I really like Clyde in this draft but I don't think he'd fall to 42 and even if he did I'm not enamored with a RB high. But he's going to be so damn good.

Just now, .Buzz said:

If we're able to get something ok for him I'll be thrilled.

He's a solid back that won't be kept past this year. He isn't a great fit for the way our offense is headed imo. Plus if there is any semblance of an issue from the past I'd prefer to not have that come up later.

I really like Clyde in this draft but I don't think he'd fall to 42 and even if he did I'm not enamored with a RB high. But he's going to be so damn good.

Yeah, like I told you before, there’s some past issues that no one really knows if they’re resolved or not. He’s still clearly upset about everything Coughlin did, and he’s made it known he doesn’t like that a number of players he is close to have been done dirty/moved on. And it’s been wishy washy if he holds that against the team as constructed or not.

Then there’s the question of if they think he fits the offense they want to run, as there were some late season indications that they were going to chance from running the offense through him.

And then there’s the Cam stuff that he brought up again, which could cause some animosity in his relationship with Minshew. 

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

Yeah, like I told you before, there’s some past issues that no one really knows if they’re resolved or not. He’s still clearly upset about everything Coughlin did, and he’s made it known he doesn’t like that a number of players he is close to have been done dirty/moved on. And it’s been wishy washy if he holds that against the team as constructed or not.

Then there’s the question of if they think he fits the offense they want to run, as there were some late season indications that they were going to chance from running the offense through him.

And then there’s the Cam stuff that he brought up again, which could cause some animosity in his relationship with Minshew. 

I doubt Minshew cares much, but I could see Caldwell/Marrone trying to get ahead of this. They're clearly trying to get a fresh start on this and get all the players with past issues out the door/ones that are vocal and have a presence on the team.

I'm excited about the idea of no Fournette mainly because as you referenced, the offense just isn't as smooth. The final game when we ran everything through Minshew because Fournette was out was just so much better.

I know we have holes and this adds another but I don't think RB was that well off despite the bulk stats in our offense as some. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I doubt Minshew cares much, but I could see Caldwell/Marrone trying to get ahead of this. They're clearly trying to get a fresh start on this and get all the players with past issues out the door/ones that are vocal and have a presence on the team.

I'm excited about the idea of no Fournette mainly because as you referenced, the offense just isn't as smooth. The final game when we ran everything through Minshew because Fournette was out was just so much better.

I know we have holes and this adds another but I don't think RB was that well off despite the bulk stats in our offense as some. 

It might not even be that Minshew cares. But what if he comes out and has a couple mediocre games to start the season, and they haven’t brought in a veteran or early round QB? Does the locker room completely fall apart if Fournette starts with an “I told you so” attitude?

I don’t know how accurate it is, but reportedly some of the locker room issues have been tied to certain players being upset about how the team has handled QB the last couple seasons; trusting entirely in Bortles and Foles, when there were legitimate options over the last few years. I know Jalen wasn’t the biggest fan of Blake as a starting QB and wanted us to take Watson or Lamar the last couple years, and apparently some other guys have felt that way as well. Is leaving guys on the roster who don’t trust in Minshew completely just going to create another powder keg situation?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

It might not even be that Minshew cares. But what if he comes out and has a couple mediocre games to start the season, and they haven’t brought in a veteran or early round QB? Does the locker room completely fall apart if Fournette starts with an “I told you so” attitude?

I don’t know how accurate it is, but reportedly some of the locker room issues have been tied to certain players being upset about how the team has handled QB the last couple seasons; trusting entirely in Bortles and Foles, when there were legitimate options over the last few years. I know Jalen wasn’t the biggest fan of Blake as a starting QB and wanted us to take Watson or Lamar the last couple years, and apparently some other guys have felt that way as well. Is leaving guys on the roster who don’t trust in Minshew completely just going to create another powder keg situation?

Good points.

Kind of crazy players are acting as if they can play GM though and causing that big of stir. I obviously agree with them on not going with Blake and co. but that's not how the NFL works.

Can't say I've heard of that before but I'm sure it's happened before.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Good points.

Kind of crazy players are acting as if they can play GM though and causing that big of stir. I obviously agree with them on not going with Blake and co. but that's not how the NFL works.

Can't say I've heard of that before but I'm sure it's happened before.

I wonder how much of it is tied to many of the guys having seen 7 years of Caldwell botch decisions year after year, then see Caldwell essentially be demoted for his poor performance only to get basically promoted back once Coughlin got fired.

Those guys used to run through walls for Gus and had no questions about anything and were always team first, and now many of the same guys are just frustrated left and right about everything. It’s really odd to see everything change. And really every time someone has some info about what’s going on in there, or any time someone does something, it’s just so bizarre from what’s normal and where things used to be.

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

I wonder how much of it is tied to many of the guys having seen 7 years of Caldwell botch decisions year after year, then see Caldwell essentially be demoted for his poor performance only to get basically promoted back once Coughlin got fired.

Those guys used to run through walls for Gus and had no questions about anything and were always team first, and now many of the same guys are just frustrated left and right about everything. It’s really odd to see everything change. And really every time someone has some info about what’s going on in there, or any time someone does something, it’s just so bizarre from what’s normal and where things used to be.

To be fair though Fournette would be the only one in that seat, and he's only been here since 2017. Although I'm sure he knows the history...

The rest of the guys got sent out prior to Coughlin being sent packing.

Regardless, not an ideal situation. But everything Dave and co. is doing is stuff I would have liked to see the new regime do at least I guess...