General News and Notes

.Buzz

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I must say, looking at our depth chart week 17 of last year and then looking at our projected depth chart, it is very refreshing.

Yes.  Looking like a roster that could be sneaky good depending on how fast Lawrence develops.   

Watching Urban’s presser from yesterday.

He was asked about the option on Taven Bryan, and indicated the team hasn’t made a decision on that yet. But then as they were going to shift questions, he then stopped to indicated that “we want him here”.

I thought that was interesting. Definitely something he didn’t have to say, but threw it in there anyway.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Watching Urban’s presser from yesterday.

He was asked about the option on Taven Bryan, and indicated the team hasn’t made a decision on that yet. But then as they were going to shift questions, he then stopped to indicated that “we want him here”.

I thought that was interesting. Definitely something he didn’t have to say, but threw it in there anyway.

Im not seeing it from a numbers perspective. 

Keeping 7/8 dl as a 3-4 with only 3/4 lovers is weird.

I'm interested to see what Urban & company can get out of Taven Bryan, but I still don't think picking up the 5th year option makes sense. If he plays well enough in 2021 to warrant money anywhere near the 5th year option figure then, hell, I think that means we've had an amazing year. Otherwise, probably better off declining the 5th year option and then offering a team-friendly second contact after the season if he ends up actually doing well in his role. 

I honestly think he's a darkhorse candidate to be cut or traded this year before we get into the season, but I do think that if he's ever going to put everything together and be put into position to succeed, it's going to be right now under Urban Meyer & Joe Cullen. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm interested to see what Urban & company can get out of Taven Bryan, but I still don't think picking up the 5th year option makes sense. If he plays well enough in 2021 to warrant money anywhere near the 5th year option figure then, hell, I think that means we've had an amazing year. Otherwise, probably better off declining the 5th year option and then offering a team-friendly second contact after the season if he ends up actually doing well in his role. 

I honestly think he's a darkhorse candidate to be cut or traded this year before we get into the season, but I do think that if he's ever going to put everything together and be put into position to succeed, it's going to be right now under Urban Meyer & Joe Cullen. 

Yeah.  It’s one thing to “want Taven here” this year and see if you can get something out of him. But it’s another thing entirely to pick up the 5th year option and lock into that, basically on the whimsical hope that he finally starts to “get it” or find a role in this new defense.

It hurts nothing to have him around and see if he can do anything. He’s still got some athletic upside and may have just been a misfit for that outgoing defense. Might as well try to find out. 

And if he doesn’t get traded or cut, and actually shows out to earn a significant contract...you deal with that, as a “good problem” to have. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I didn’t make that clear at all, but I don’t think that was in regards to the 5th year option. Seemed like he threw it in like they weren’t planning on moving away from him right now, which is probably the more compelling discussion with him; does he even have a shot at making the roster.

It also could be nothing and just Urban being Urban when it comes to always supporting the players on the team. 

38 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Urbs said they are building a $100M facility next year. Can’t remember if this is new or old info.

Definitely new. There was talk Shad said he agreed to build it up for Urban but no concrete info.

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Definitely new. There was talk Shad said he agreed to build it up for Urban but no concrete info.

Yeah.  I remember that kind of being floated as a rumor when it was announced that Urban would be coming here, but i don't remember anything concrete.  It was pretty heavily implied though, that for Urban to come here...it was with conditions like that.  Contingent on not only the heavy degree of overall team control...but on Khan providing top notch investment to bring facilities in the program up to Urban's standards.