General News and Notes

.Buzz

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Looking through this more, speculation is that the NIC grade is the view of a player's injury risk with the medical assessments they did.

The gave Lawrence, ETN, and Little a 2, Campbell a 3, and Cisco a 5. Assuming this is correct, they view Little's risk of re-injury on par with that of Lawrence, and Cisco as pretty risky.

Hmm, so I'm a few beers deep but are you saying they view Little and Cisco as very little injury risk?

It'd make sense based on where they graded and drafted them but...

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Hmm, so I'm a few beers deep but are you saying they view Little and Cisco as very little injury risk?

It'd make sense based on where they graded and drafted them but...

Little got the same grade as Trevor and ETN for that, all three of them got a 2. I’d assume that means they viewed his risk as low.

Cisco was graded with a 5. Which seems like a substantial injury risk. Not undraftable bad, but substantial. 

I can’t see the grades, but they marked Waddle as red for his NIC. I’m guessing this means he had an ORIF surgery and they’re worried how the screws and/or plates are going to reduce his mobility. Caleb Farley got marked black, which given what we know about his back likely means undraftable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chops013 said:

Some Evan Engram smoke going around on Twitter right now.

I would absolutely love this move fwiw.

15 hours ago, pwny said:

Little got the same grade as Trevor and ETN for that, all three of them got a 2. I’d assume that means they viewed his risk as low.

Cisco was graded with a 5. Which seems like a substantial injury risk. Not undraftable bad, but substantial. 

I can’t see the grades, but they marked Waddle as red for his NIC. I’m guessing this means he had an ORIF surgery and they’re worried how the screws and/or plates are going to reduce his mobility. Caleb Farley got marked black, which given what we know about his back likely means undraftable. 

Gotta say, that makes me feel a bit more uneasy on Cisco. Pretty sure a 5 is the closest to undraftable as it gets, no?

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Gotta say, that makes me feel a bit more uneasy on Cisco. Pretty sure a 5 is the closest to undraftable as it gets, no?

Might be. I also just realized that they put a black background on his 5 grade as well. Somehow my mind completely blanked it, but the color scheme is the same that they used for Farley (though I can’t make out the number on Farley).

Without knowing what the scale is, it’s hard to tell exactly what the number is. I gotta think black is their designation for significant issue, and red likely their designation for large concern.

We can kinda make some assumptions about what the numbers mean:

1. Likely means that the player never had an injury or medical concern; I didn’t see anyone who had this to verify, but it seems likely. 

2. One injury, no risk of reinjury. Trevor and ETN fit this. Tufele I think a team could be confident that he fits it as well. Little, from what we know it’s hard to tell, but if they got back a perfect grade from the medical staff that checked out his knee, it would fit.

3. A couple injuries, some risk of reinjury. This is probably what it would be, given Tyson Campbell got this grade. It also looks like Zach Wilson got a 3. He’d fit this as well. 

Without seeing who was graded with a 4, it’s hard to really get a true idea of where the gap goes after that. But I gotta think that by the time that you get to 5, at the very least, you’re at “multiple injuries, good chance of reinjury”. 

I went looking through some of the photos posted in articles and noticed Kwity Paye got red flagged too, likely for his groin injury. Though the scare about his heart that is widely believed to be nothing maybe played into that too. With that in mind, the red flag may be a way to denote that they’re really concerned about reinjury or recovery.

I also think that the color on the background on a player’s name is their current injury state; white being 100% cleared, yellow (Trevor is the only one of ours with it; there were some other players who got drafted elsewhere that also had yellow that I couldn’t verify injuries for, but mostly minor things don’t get reported) being *injured but ready for camp*, red as *will miss some time* (Paye was here), and red background with yellow letters as *need significant recovery time* (Cisco, Waddle and Farley all with this). 

So yeah, after spending some time reviewing these cards, I get the sense that they view him as a guy with large concerns there. 

It’s making me think that maybe Alfie’s day two insider info wasn’t exactly wrong and Cisco was the highest graded guy they had at a position of need after Campbell (and maybe a couple others). They very possibly evaluated his injury risk as not worthy of taking over similarly graded players with less injury risk when picking at #45, but may have viewed the talent gap between him and others at #65 as worth it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MightyRx said:

Y'all saw that the league forced the Jags to wait 7 minutes before being able to call Trevor and confirm the pick?

Yup. And now we know why they were mostly winking and nodding to the fact that the pick was going to be Trevor instead of just saying it. The NFL wanted to pretend there was drama where there was none. 

6 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Aren’t Fields and Wilson the same height?

Fields measured in a half inch taller, so pretty much. But they didn’t show Fields’ card, so who knows if he got the same mark. 

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea it doesnt make much sense for us to do it

Depending on the compensation, it’s intriguing. Chark probably goes back the other way in a trade, so I’m not sure it *doesn’t make sense*, as it wouldn’t crowd the WR room. If the team doesn’t think Chark is going to be worth the new contract he will command after this season, I could see them going this direction.