General News and Notes

.Buzz

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, .Buzz said:

The whole unit I never viewed as an issue while watching them though, which is more so my point. Like going into the draft I was wanting more depth to push guys/have better OT depth but I never felt like this OL wouldn’t be able to block for Trevor or we really needed to make a move as far as starters go.

I wanted Orlando Brown or Trent Williams sure (one of which being a top 2-3 LT in the game) but I was also perfectly content with running it back with Cam Robinson after watching him last season if they weren’t attainable for the right price.

I mean, i guess we have to be content with running it back more or less as it was last year.  And hope that coaching and scheme changes make a big difference, or Walker Little makes his presence felt quickly.  'Cause that's pretty much what we're getting.  I guess we'll see.  I'm just not so convinced last year was "good enough" in any way shape or form.  A lot riding on it, as one of the most critical position groups to get strong performance out of.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Tugboat said:

I mean, i guess we have to be content with running it back more or less as it was last year.  And hope that coaching and scheme changes make a big difference, or Walker Little makes his presence felt quickly.  'Cause that's pretty much what we're getting.  I guess we'll see.  I'm just not so convinced last year was "good enough" in any way shape or form.  A lot riding on it, as one of the most critical position groups to get strong performance out of.

I just think the QB position really made things a lot worse on the unit. Outside of Jawaan who really struggled in pass pro at times, I just felt like it was a very solid unit. 

Way too early to know/can’t take OTAs too seriously but the way Bevell and Warhop are speaking about Little it wouldn’t shock me if he supplants someone by mid season. 

• Like 1

Kind of a weird way to portray it. Basically sounds like they needed Coughlins rough edges/discipline and it brought them closer together and had it not happened they likely would’ve never got it figured out.

Not that we didn’t already know that, but makes me feel so much better about having Urban in the fold with this current roster. 

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Kind of a weird way to portray it. Basically sounds like they needed Coughlins rough edges/discipline and it brought them closer together and had it not happened they likely would’ve never got it figured out.

Not that we didn’t already know that, but makes me feel so much better about having Urban in the fold with this current roster. 

I have to give Jalen credit though, he knew they were relaxed and needed that push too. Didnt expect him to take that kind of accountability

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Also, sounds like Dave was the FO member we all heard about as the one, along with TC, that disrespected him per Ramsey and ultimately forcing the trade request.

Imagine being around for 7 drafts at that point, having one first round pick that wasn’t a bust — who not only isn’t a bust, but is a complete superstar — and blatantly disrespecting that player to the point he no longer wants to be in the organization. Just incredible. 

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, the difference largely seems to be that Urban is going to be a hard *** on the players to get the best out of them, but he isn’t going to be doing the whole “sit upstairs, and then only come down to berate players” thing that Coughlin did.

You can use positive punishment at times when you really need a guy to dig in, but the majority of the way you build a team needs to be rooted in positive reinforcement and instilling the idea that while the team is being put through hell to get to whatever point, that they’re supported and cared for and are given the resources to feel fulfilled and the best version of themselves. Coughlin didn’t do that while he was here the second time. It was all rules, where his only interaction with the players was to make their time as a Jaguar less enjoyable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwny said:

Imagine being around for 7 drafts at that point, having one first round pick that wasn’t a bust — who not only isn’t a bust, but is a complete superstar — and blatantly disrespecting that player to the point he no longer wants to be in the organization. Just incredible. 

That was thing that was so painful all along. Fan bases always long for a FO that can draft good players and when we FINALLY got a few legit pieces in place and all the money in the world to re-sign: Ramsey-Yannick-ARob...they bounce. Not because we couldnt afford to pay them ridiculous bags of money but rather the thought of staying around here wasnt worth the extra $

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

PFF’s OL rankings. Jags at 23 heading into the season, with last year’s final rankings at 22. 

Expected though right? I mean we didnt exactly make big adds except Little and PFF tends to think rookie OTs take a while too

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pwny said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-line-units-entering-2021-season

PFF’s OL rankings. Jags at 23 heading into the season, with last year’s final rankings at 22. 

I rarely really agree with PFF, but that seems about right to me.  Not the worst OLine, but bottom third.  Being largely the same as the one that seems fair, if not slightly generous to call the 22nd best last year.  We can hope coaching changes, plus a different QB behind them can generate some better results.  But it's hard to really bank on that projection until we actually see it.  This unit delivered bottom-third type results as a group last season.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, .Buzz said:

I just think the QB position really made things a lot worse on the unit. Outside of Jawaan who really struggled in pass pro at times, I just felt like it was a very solid unit. 

Way too early to know/can’t take OTAs too seriously but the way Bevell and Warhop are speaking about Little it wouldn’t shock me if he supplants someone by mid season. 

If Little replaces Robinson on the left side, do you think they would move him over to the right, or just bench him?