General News and Notes

.Buzz

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is interesting 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him be a Manhertz/Marcedes level blocker as his career goes on. Dude is real good as a blocker.

He’s shown a little bit with his ability as a receiver, but there’s a long way to go. If he can become a decent TE2 type receiver, he’s gonna have a good place in this league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chops013 said:

What do you think the odds are the Jags throw the bag at Von in the off-season?

The direct inverse of the odds of them getting the #1 pick (or #2 if thr #1 is after a QB). If they aren’t locked in to a guaranteed pass rusher in the draft, they’re gonna go big on a guy in Free Agency.

Right now, I think that the first pick and two big FA targets are gonna be EDGE, LT and WR. 

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

The direct inverse of the odds of them getting the #1 pick (or #2 if thr #1 is after a QB). If they aren’t locked in to a guaranteed pass rusher in the draft, they’re gonna go big on a guy in Free Agency.

Right now, I think that the first pick and two big FA targets are gonna be EDGE, LT and WR. 

I’d be a bit surprised with LT tbh. Would depend on what they’re seeing from Little behind the scenes and if they either aren’t pleased with Cam or they don’t want to pay him.

I’m all for grabbing OL, and if that OL happens to be arguably BPA at the top I’d get it. Guess it depends if they think either Taylor is locked in at RT or they think Little can move there.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pwny said:

Are there any receivers out there this year that look like they would be worth a top 3-5 pick in the draft? 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I’d be a bit surprised with LT tbh. Would depend on what they’re seeing from Little behind the scenes and if they either aren’t pleased with Cam or they don’t want to pay him.

I’m all for grabbing OL, and if that OL happens to be arguably BPA at the top I’d get it. Guess it depends if they think either Taylor is locked in at RT or they think Little can move there.

I understand the that it’s because Urban is taking it slow with rookies and then he’s been on the COVID list, but until Little is active for a game and actually gets playing time, I’m operating under the assumption that he isn’t going to be handed the LT job going forward. I know there was a lot of hype with his offseason and from what we saw there was some good stuff there, but a number of our offseason hype guys didn’t make the roster at all, and he hasn’t been active yet. So there has to be more shown there before I think he’s the heir apparent at either slot.

As for Cam, I feel like so far he looks on track this year to position himself right in that range where he’s going to get a big contract that doesn’t quite match his play. I’d rather go after a premier player for a little more than save like $2M and have him. If he comes cheaper than that, based on the so-far I’d be fine bringing him back. But we’ll see. 

36 minutes ago, pwny said:

I understand the that it’s because Urban is taking it slow with rookies and then he’s been on the COVID list, but until Little is active for a game and actually gets playing time, I’m operating under the assumption that he isn’t going to be handed the LT job going forward. I know there was a lot of hype with his offseason and from what we saw there was some good stuff there, but a number of our offseason hype guys didn’t make the roster at all, and he hasn’t been active yet. So there has to be more shown there before I think he’s the heir apparent at either slot.

As for Cam, I feel like so far he looks on track this year to position himself right in that range where he’s going to get a big contract that doesn’t quite match his play. I’d rather go after a premier player for a little more than save like $2M and have him. If he comes cheaper than that, based on the so-far I’d be fine bringing him back. But we’ll see. 

I definitely don’t think you just hand it to him but you also knew he was two years off a football field and likely needed time  regardless so I’m not really worried about him as far as that goes. Just seems like you’d be tossing that pick in the trash after a year in this scenario unless he can make it work on the right side/the rookie we draft goes over to the right side.

As far as Cam goes I agree, but he also had little prospects from the sounds of it had he been an FA. I think he’ll get some hefty $ if he continues his play, but no more than an average/slightly above LT. Kind of prefer that idea (again, if Cam continues his play) and use that high pick on place that’s more pressing myself. I’m all for putting resources into his protection, just seems like this group we have has done fairly admirably thus far.

56 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I definitely don’t think you just hand it to him but you also knew he was two years off a football field and likely needed time  regardless so I’m not really worried about him as far as that goes. Just seems like you’d be tossing that pick in the trash after a year in this scenario unless he can make it work on the right side/the rookie we draft goes over to the right side.

As far as Cam goes I agree, but he also had little prospects from the sounds of it had he been an FA. I think he’ll get some hefty $ if he continues his play, but no more than an average/slightly above LT. Kind of prefer that idea (again, if Cam continues his play) and use that high pick on place that’s more pressing myself. I’m all for putting resources into his protection, just seems like this group we have has done fairly admirably thus far.

Little certainly has another 14 weeks of the season to build on top of that to give the appearance that he's going to be the guy there. But I think if he doesn't get there within the season, even if you think he's going to be there, you probably want to have a vet there for a year or two to bridge until he's ready to immediately slot in. Going big there in the interim wouldn't be a bad idea, unless they wanted to go big with the Guards instead.

A lot of my thoughts on the contracts hinges on Armstead both being healthy coming off his current elbow injury, and him becoming a Free Agent, but I'd rather throw 19M AAV over 3 years at him than like the 16.5-17 over 4-5 that should be heading Cam's way if he continues to have the season he's having. It seems like to me that Cam is about to cash in on the extra value that comes from playing with a QB who doesn't let every pressure he feels end in a sack. It feels like he's about to be one of those players where it sucks to lose the play he's going to give us this year, but the price to keep him is bad value. 

I could be wrong and Cam gets like 15 and Armstead gets 20, and then that's more palatable, but I think those contracts are gonna be close, and I'd rather have the better player.

Also -- and this is probably the first time in a decade that I've been able to say this as a fan of the Jaguars -- but aside from the massive mistake on the whirly bird, I genuinely couldn't tell you when Robinson came back in after his injury. LT play looked pretty much identical outside of the time that they tried to get cute as far as I could tell. 

3 hours ago, pwny said:

Little certainly has another 14 weeks of the season to build on top of that to give the appearance that he's going to be the guy there. But I think if he doesn't get there within the season, even if you think he's going to be there, you probably want to have a vet there for a year or two to bridge until he's ready to immediately slot in. Going big there in the interim wouldn't be a bad idea, unless they wanted to go big with the Guards instead.

A lot of my thoughts on the contracts hinges on Armstead both being healthy coming off his current elbow injury, and him becoming a Free Agent, but I'd rather throw 19M AAV over 3 years at him than like the 16.5-17 over 4-5 that should be heading Cam's way if he continues to have the season he's having. It seems like to me that Cam is about to cash in on the extra value that comes from playing with a QB who doesn't let every pressure he feels end in a sack. It feels like he's about to be one of those players where it sucks to lose the play he's going to give us this year, but the price to keep him is bad value. 

I could be wrong and Cam gets like 15 and Armstead gets 20, and then that's more palatable, but I think those contracts are gonna be close, and I'd rather have the better player.

Also -- and this is probably the first time in a decade that I've been able to say this as a fan of the Jaguars -- but aside from the massive mistake on the whirly bird, I genuinely couldn't tell you when Robinson came back in after his injury. LT play looked pretty much identical outside of the time that they tried to get cute as far as I could tell. 

Pretty sure Richardson was in there when we had that 8 straight run TD drive, which was great, but I still don’t care to see him in pass pro/have any interest in seeing him out there with Lawrence behind center.

As far as the rest of what you said I agree. Guess in my head I was thinking Neal via the draft (who I love), and I feel like if you take him than you probably are kicking the can on Little unless as I said he can move elsewhere. Just looks like a prototypical LT to me.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, pwny said:

I think it would be a RT since they liked little and he can't handle rt

17 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty sure Richardson was in there when we had that 8 straight run TD drive, which was great, but I still don’t care to see him in pass pro/have any interest in seeing him out there with Lawrence behind center.

As far as the rest of what you said I agree. Guess in my head I was thinking Neal via the draft (who I love), and I feel like if you take him than you probably are kicking the can on Little unless as I said he can move elsewhere. Just looks like a prototypical LT to me.

I feel Neal is more then capable of being a RT.  I have no doubts about his abilities there.  He's also played LG before kicking out to rt. 

Dude probably can probably play 4 of the 5 spots(center being the 1 he probably can't).