Week 1 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins

MikeT14

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

Okay ... what happened in 2010, then? They ranked 26th in total DVOA, 27th against the pass, and 18th against the run. That was with all of those guys healthy.

I don't want to hear about how this defense works in Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I don't want to hear about how this is the same defense that Wade Phillips runs. Are any of those position coaches here? Coordinators? Scouts? Training staff? No? THEN THE BLOODY DEFENSE DOES NOT WORK HERE IN WASHINGTON.

Sure, we run the 3-4 only 20-30% of the time. Fine. THEN STOP RUNNING IT ALTOGETHER AND GET BACK TO WHAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE TEAMS RUN SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WASTE YOUR TIME "PROJECTING" PLAYERS TO KNOW IF THEY FIT.

Once again, we allowed our opponent to convert over half of their 3rd down chances (8 of 14). To the defense's credit, they only allowed 2.4 yards per carry, so on that front, it does look like the run game defense has improved. Of course, they also allowed 7.87 yards per attempt through the air, so it didn't really matter that they stopped the run game.

Woz...I cannot LOVE the bolded enough. These are my exact thoughts on this matter.

What did we learn from today's game:

The game played out just as I had expected  it would. 

1. why would anybody be surprised we lost our first game- gruden had never won a first game. He doesn't  prepare his team during the summer. But he the players and coaches nails and complexions were spectacular from the Spa Gruden sessions. .

2. Gruden's stated focus for the 2017 OTA's, training camp and preseason were

• red zone offense
  • third down defense
  • running the ball

His report card after game 1 is a lot like what I would expect his report card to be in elementary school

Unsatisfactory on all three priorities. "Jay is a nice boy who easily makes friends. He's a bit mischievous and does have a tendency to sneak and eat other students lunches without their permission. He has often told his classmates that if he can't be a professional football player he would probably manage a Dunkin Donuts as chocolate frosted is his favorite food, or be a school gym teacher. I am sure he if works a bit harder he can one day manage that store or be a good gym teacher." PS, please remind Jay to keep his hands out of the backside of his pants. He mentioned his underwear was a bit tight, but it is a health issue when he plays with the other children

hqdefault.jpg

3. The Timing on offense, the blocking on the OL, the unimaginative and unbalanced play calling, the offensive players were not in "hitting or get hit" shape but again this is to be expected.

4. Long is injured, but was bad before he was injured. Frankenstein is the worst starting left guard in the league. Scherff is ideal as a road grading right guard or even left guard. You can help him by running more than 13 times in a game.

5. Pryor is a taller Rod Gardner- a coach and team killer. 

6. Cousins has zero timing with his receivers. Why? 

• ineffectual and limited reps in practice
  • Kurt was getting killed back there reminding me of a Patrick Ramsay style beating. he had very poor technique throwing off his back foot and sailing passes (he wasn't the cause of the loss but a big part of the loss). in his defense even Brady started throwing off his back foot after getting hit in the mouth everything he dropped back. 
  • You have to be able to run the ball more of your quarterback won't last September
  • The receivers are not getting open in the first few seconds. These guys are long striders and your OL better pass block better or your quarterback better anticipate better

7. Number 91, 53, 29, 24 were your best players. 94 made a few plays but gets no pressure on the others. 54 can't cover a lick. Why not play 50? The safety with the big mouth and terrible hair is going to continue to get torched deep because he bites on all the underneath routes and is designed to be an in the box guy.  and who the heck is returning punts and kickoffs- terrible. But can't be too hard on these guys as its only one game and have ti understand they just returned from a 2 month vacation and had to actually play a team that likes to hit, not simply twist a nipple or two. 

8. It sure sounded from the TV that the game was in Philadelphia. Did all the redskins ticket holders sell to eagles fans?

9. Halftime was the best part of the game for me :)

Fear not there is another game coming next week. Hey those awful Rams kicked the snot out of the Colts and I will be there live. 

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What categories were those in 2011? I'd love to hear this. They were 12th in pass D, top 20 in run D. They had over 40 sacks. They had 7 or 8 guys who played better than average. 

Injruies derailed them at safety mid season. They lost w/ Landry's achillies & Atogwe w/ hamstring for the year. Bowen tore a knee ligament abs played through it.

They also constantly had to defend short fields because their Qbs combined for like 35 turnovers and the O struggled to run the ball too.

They were 13th overall in YPG in 2011

In 2010 - they were 31st

In 2012 - they were 28th

2011 was an aberration. Stop trying to hang your hat on that one season as proof that this system works here. It doesn't.

6 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I was impressed with the defense (to an extent). Their ability to stuff the run and make Wentz uncomfortable was impressive. The issue continues to be that they cannot find their own on 3rd down.

It's in the right direction tho we **** down smith and Jeffery we shut the eagles down . They where avg at the 40 yard all game because of h turn overs and piss poor offense .

some here aren't giving wentz credit for his abilities but the D pressured him all game and it took a bit of flukieness for the eagles to score .

this D was good and who ever disagee is just trying bash the skins even deeper . A lot of things are positive on the defense and as people saw we didn't need a stupid NT so we can have those talks die .

8 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I was impressed with the defense (to an extent). Their ability to stuff the run and make Wentz uncomfortable was impressive. The issue continues to be that they cannot find their own on 3rd down.

And cannot rush the passer. And when we can get to him, we need to learn how to get him down.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

They were 13th overall in YPG in 2011

In 2010 - they were 31st

In 2012 - they were 28th

2011 was an aberration. Stop trying to hang your hat on that one season as proof that this system works here. It doesn't.

I agree the Haslett defense has always been terrible . 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

And cannot rush the passer. And when we can get to him, we need to learn how to get him down.

We rushed wentz well ? He dodged some guys but lol he wasn't comfortable in any point he struggled all game I'm surprise he even had 300 yards and 2 touchdowns he showulda throw 3 today instead of one.

Just now, Dashing202 said:

We rushed wentz well ? He dodged some guys but lol he wasn't comfortable in any point he struggled all game I'm surprise he even had 300 yards and 2 touchdowns he showulda throw 3 today instead of one.

We got 2 sacks on all those rushes. The point I'm making is that we need to get him down. We cannot continue to let QBs escape the rush and make plays. Romo used to kill us with that.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We got 2 sacks on all those rushes. The point I'm making is that we need to get him down. We cannot continue to let QBs escape the rush and make plays. Romo used to kill us with that.

But wentz threw incomplete passes as well he threw behind the back twice and threw a ground pass as well as Gallete sack not counting because of DJ off sides.

its not always about sacks its pressure and they only scored cus of Crowder muff punt and wentz play to extend on a break down coverage . Other than that we where balling ....and your right we coulda had more sack but the good thing is atleast we are having oppertunies vs these past long years of not even having chances . Heck our pass coverage would of been eaten alive and run D as well.

stay positive brothers it's week 1 .we beat the Rams and play a crappy raiders D we can turn it around .

kc tho is a loss lol I just don't see Cousins doing well in that game period .

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

2010 was first year in the new system and They didn't have good talent on DL bc Haynesworth refused to accept his role.

We didn't have a FS worth being our roster and there wasn't a true free agency because of the cba expiring and looming lockout.

The sun was in their eyes.

They forgot your phone number

They didnt' have cab fare

Just a few more excuses to add onto the fire

4 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

But wentz threw incomplete passes as well he threw behind the back twice and threw a ground pass as well as Gallete sack not counting because of DJ off sides.

its not always about sacks its pressure and they only scored cus of Crowder muff punt and wentz play to extend on a break down coverage . Other than that we where balling ....and your right we coulda had more sack but the good thing is atleast we are having oppertunies vs these past long years of not even having chances . Heck our pass coverage would of been eaten alive and run D as well.

stay positive brothers it's week 1 .we beat the Rams and play a crappy raiders D we can turn it around .

kc tho is a loss lol I just don't see Cousins doing well in that game period .

Stay positive my friend. This team is gonna need it

Archived