Cam Newton aggravates foot injury, status uncertain

iknowcool

11 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He lost the love when he lost the SB. Since then he's been fully on the me-first and fashion-second train, with football as a distant third.

Probably taking the bait, but Newton played the last 4 games of 2016 with a torn rotator cuff.  Last year he kept playing despite needing shoulder surgery.  And he just tried to play through a foot injury (not buying the "re-aggravated" BS Hurney and Rivera are saying).  I'm sure he loves the game still, his body has just been falling apart.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

He lost the love when he lost the SB. Since then he's been fully on the me-first and fashion-second train, with football as a distant third.

How would you have felt when going into the offseason fresh off of a SB appearance, thinking the team is going would have made a play for the top OL in Free Agency (Osemele) and used their draft capital to try to trade up to get Taylor Decker instead of drafting a guy they didn't need (Vernon Butler)? I personally can see why he checked out mentally, you can say a lot by your actions (or lack thereof), bottom line, their actions to protect their franchise player has been lackluster to say the least IMO, he's tired of putting his body on the line for a franchise that doesn't value him equally

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Probably taking the bait, but Newton played the last 4 games of 2016 with a torn rotator cuff.  Last year he kept playing despite needing shoulder surgery.  And he just tried to play through a foot injury (not buying the "re-aggravated" BS Hurney and Rivera are saying).  I'm sure he loves the game still, his body has just been falling apart.

I agree with this. Last season, he had a significant shoulder injury that he could/should have addressed immediately. Had he opted for surgery, nobody would have faulted him for doing so. He didn't opt for surgery, he played through that shoulder injury.

You don't do stuff like that if you have football as 3rd in priorities.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this. Last season, he had a significant shoulder injury that he could/should have addressed immediately. Had he opted for surgery, nobody would have faulted him for doing so. He didn't opt for surgery, he played through that shoulder injury.

You don't do stuff like that if you have football as 3rd in priorities.

It was a business decision that would impact the first two priorities.