Why Did You Purchase Your Home?

RavensTillIDie

Just curious what the members of FF who own a home payed for their home and what made them choose that particular house. Just trying to survey the landscape to get an idea of what people think is a reasonable price for a home relative to where they live. I still have yet to buy a house, so this is mainly for my own informational purposes in the future.

Template:

Cost of House:

Bedrooms:

Baths:

Year Bought:

Average Cost of House in Area:

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area:

What Made You Choose Your Home:

I'm now in the process of doing this a 2nd time, but the 2nd time we are building a home instead of buying a preexisting one.

The 1st time, here's what we did/looked into:

Cost of House: What could I afford each month? That's what we looked into. We also really wanted to put 20% down to avoid PMI, and we wanted to refinance to a 15 year mortgage down the road.

Bedrooms: At least 3

Baths: At least 2

Year Bought: 2013

Average Cost of House in Area: We were on the lower end here, bought for 128K, but it's what I could afford. Job situation was also not as stable, and the market was rebounding from the 2009-2012 timeframe.

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: I told my lender not to approve me for more than $160K, because of the area/market at the time. Not a great area for a long term investment, albeit it sold for $30,000 more in April of this past year

The 2nd time, here's what we did/looked into:

Cost of House: What can I afford monthly/what are the needs of my family? In 2013, we had no kids. Now, we have 3. They need space to play, an extra bedroom, etc.

Location: Proximity to work, but HOW IS THE LOCAL SCHOOL? How about taxes? Long term investment???? It's our "forever home".

Bedrooms: 4

Baths: 2, with a 3/4 in the basement

Year Bought: Building now, hope to occupy in January

Average Cost of House in Area: $250K-$375K

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: We wanted to build our home since we wanted a nice/modest but quality ranch with a full basement. We wanted the bones of the house EXACTLY what we wanted without compromise, and then lower/mid tier on the interior cabinets, etc. We basically sold our home in a sellers market and then are building our home, which will almost assuredly have more built in equity post appraisal than what we're spending, in the same sellers market, so that way we aren't hurt on the "buying end".

Cost of House: 140k

Location: In-town of a small town, with good schools. Far enough away from other family to where they won't just drop by but close enough to make it easy to spend time with them, if needed.

Baths: 2

Year Bought: 2017

Average Cost of House in Area: 130ish

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: 160k

What Made You Choose Your Home: The Garage. Well, that's what made me choose it at least. The garage is massive and is twice as deep as a traditional garage. The lot size is also twice as deep as most of the lots in town. 

Template:

Cost of House: 258k

Location: Quiet cul-de-sac in residential area. near grocery/gas, short drive to mall/theater/shopping. elementary school in the neighborhood.

Bedrooms: 3 bedroom, 1 den

Baths: 2.5

Year Bought: Dec 2016

Average Cost of House in Area: $271k @ time of purchase

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: 275k @ time of purchase

What Made You Choose Your Home: Nice location, fenced back yard for our dog, garage, front yard maintenance cared for by HOA

Edited by Dome

On 9/17/2019 at 9:28 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

Just curious what the members of FF who own a home payed for their home and what made them choose that particular house. Just trying to survey the landscape to get an idea of what people think is a reasonable price for a home relative to where they live. I still have yet to buy a house, so this is mainly for my own informational purposes in the future.

Template:

Cost of House:  365K

Bedrooms: 4

Baths: 3

Year Bought: Last year

Average Cost of House in Area: Depends. This can vary considerably. In my zip code, median house price is 295.5K per zillow, I believe. But that can vary by development etc. Nearly identical home to mine sold in neighborhood for 365K, and another on the same street sold for 370K last month. So I think that's about typical for my specific neighborhood. 

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: This was the max for sure. Honestly wouldn't have gone this high, but we loved the house. 

What Made You Choose Your Home: Loved the layout (downstairs bed / bathroom for grandparents to stay) and isn't a three story home like our previous house. Big yard (rare for Vegas) with a pool, the updates in the home were very nice as were the decor choices overall. Outbuilding (very rare in vegas) that we currently use as a work out room, but would like to make livable and turn into a rental apartment / casita. 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:28 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

Template: fl

Cost of House: $220k - it was a foreclosure, which is incredibly rare in this location.

Baths: 3

Year Bought: 2012, I think? 

Average Cost of House in Area: $350k - $500k.

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: I'd probably go to $350k right now at absolute most.

What Made You Choose Your Home: Foreclosure property four houses down from where my mom lives. My father passed away a few months before, so this house would allow me to raise my family while keeping an eye on her. She also got to see the kids on a daily basis, which is perfect for her.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

@ET80, the bizzarro world continues. My dad also passed away (very unexpectedly, heart) in 2013. That's one of the main reasons that I bought my house in 2013, and my mom and sisters actually came and lived with us for about 5-6 months.

Yeah - unexpectedly, pneumonia in 2011. My mom was home alone, then I bought the house to be close to her, then my sister moved back in with her.

This is just too eerie. Is your sister older than you?

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah - unexpectedly, pneumonia in 2011. My mom was home alone, then I bought the house to be close to her, then my sister moved back in with her.

That's awful man, I'm really sorry to hear that. My mom sold our house about 3 months later and then moved in with us until she found a house close to us. My dad actually died on moving day.

This is just too eerie. Is your sister older than you?

I have a younger brother 2 years younger (Natedawg here btw) and identical twin sisters also younger than me. I'm the oldest.

Edited by MWil23

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's awful man, I'm really sorry to hear that. My mom sold our house about 3 months later and then moved in with us until she found a house close to us. My dad actually died on moving day.

Wow, that's so sad to hear. Sorry to you as well, I know how rough that transition is. 

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I have a younger brother 2 years younger (Natedawg here btw) and identical twin sisters also younger than me. I'm the youngest

Yeah, it's just my sister and I - she's older, I'm the baby of the family. So, there's a difference.

I remember natedawg! He still post here?

• Like 1