Why Did You Purchase Your Home?

RavensTillIDie

• 2 weeks later...

Cost of House: 150K

Bedrooms: 3

Baths: 2

Year Bought: 2019

Average Cost of House in Area: No idea, probably the same

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: I mean, if it was an awesome home that would keep its value, I guess $250, since that's what we're hoping ours will be valued at when we're done.

What Made You Choose Your Home:  Opportunity, I guess.  We had a contract signed at the end of January, but thanks to a lying bank and some repairs we had to do, we only just closed.  We were on a limited budget, since my wife was still in school at the time and we were preparing for a wedding.  Saw the house while looking at another in the neighborhood, loved the lot (over half acre corner lot with fruit trees and lots of flowers), and talked them down to a price we could afford.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

Template:

Cost of House: $159,000

Bedrooms: 3

Baths: 2 

Year Bought: 2016

Average Cost of House in Area: $70,000

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area: $150,000 - $160,000

What Made You Choose Your Home: It's in a nice little development, has a fully finished basement w a bathroom, nice big garage, nice sized yard, a nice utility room (washer, dryer, load of storage) and a giant cedar closet in the basement. 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:28 AM, RavensTillIDie said:

Just curious what the members of FF who own a home payed for their home and what made them choose that particular house. Just trying to survey the landscape to get an idea of what people think is a reasonable price for a home relative to where they live. I still have yet to buy a house, so this is mainly for my own informational purposes in the future.

Template:

Cost of House:

Bedrooms:

Baths:

Year Bought:

Average Cost of House in Area:

Ideal/Highest Price You'd Be Willing to Pay for House in Area:

What Made You Choose Your Home:

Cost of house - 117,000.

Location - 50,000 town in Nebraska.

Bedrooms - 3 (plus non conforming room in basement)

Baths - 2

Year bought - 2019

Average price in area - Probably 160,000 for a similar house with 3 beds and 2 baths.  There was a LOT of work to do on my house.  Had to tear out walls, put in new floors, the entire yard was ****ed from complete neglect and I had to reseed my entire yard.  I also put in a pretty epic rock bed where the grass wouldn’t grow.  Basement was terrible (starting that tomorrow).  I’ve probably put in 8,000 dollars into the house and if it sold now I’d make a 50,000 dollar profit pretty easily.  I looked for a long time for a two bed, two bath house and I couldn’t find any under 160,000.  Thankfully, the people I bought it from had no idea whatsoever how to sell a house.  It was the grossest looking house I had ever walked into when I looked at it.  I think literally picking up after themselves and cleaning the house would have added 5,000 dollars to its list price.  

Most I’d spend in area - my absolute mad price was 130,000.

What made me choose my home - 2 + beds, 2 baths, basement that’s perfect for a theater room (still missing a urinal though, but I might still install one), fenced backyard, high resale value with some minor to moderate fixes, and it was literally across the street and one house down from the house I had been renting.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, Forge said:

Your housing market went nuts like 3 years ago. No idea what happened. We had to do special exceptions on appraisals there because they couldn't keep up with the inflating house prices

Hippies.  It was the damn hippies.  Hippies ruin everything.