Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

So putting  aside such the way our offensive line played in week 1 because of disqualifications and injuries...

Putting aside the fact that the play-calling is not to Bakers strengths as we are back to a Todd Haley hold the ball wait for plays to develop system it seems like...

Whats going on with Baker?

Hes pump-faking the right time to throw the ball and letting it go when its less open.

Hes not accurate on the slants and missing wide open guys.

Hes not seeing guys as well down the field.

Is the second year just getting to him?

Is this the hand injury from week one causing issues and hes timid?

Is this the lack of time our offense has together?

Hes worrying me a little bit I admit....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

I don't think he can read the whole field. He struggles to set up pass protection too. He's probably thinking too much.

Hopefully each will get better with experience.

I certianly hope so.  Its less of a problem with field reading IMO and more with the accuracy of the throws he does make.

There are some he should read quicker, and he DID read quicker last year, I don't know whats up this season.  But when they're open hes not hitting it well and thats unusual for him.  He was super accurate in college, in HS, and last year.  I don't think you just lose that.

I'll sum up my thoughts:

*Not seeing things pre-snap

*Too wreckless downfield with the football. The kid has an A+ arm but needs to take the checkdown/guaranteed 5-7 more often.

*His footwork is still sloppy. He throws off platform WAY too much and needs to navigate the pocket more as opposed to escaping it as a default.

*He has made 16 NFL starts

*His OL isn't good and we need to design more short/intermediate timing routes

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'll sum up my thoughts:

*Too wreckless downfield with the football. The kid has an A+ arm but needs to take the checkdown/guaranteed 5-7 more often.

*His footwork is still sloppy. He throws off platform WAY too much and needs to navigate the pocket more as opposed to escaping it as a default.

Pretty much this.

He did the same thing last year forcing the ball downfield instead of taking the checkdown. Fortunately, many times he did that last year he just happened to make a great throw and/or the receiver made a great catch. I like the fact that he's aggressive, but sometimes you've gotta take what the defense is giving you and throw the easy pass.

And yes, people are forgetting that he just now has a season's worth of games under his belt. He's still very much learning and the offense as a whole is learning to gel. Freddie isn't helping him too much with the long developing pass plays instead of playing to Baker's strengths in getting the ball out quickly.

7 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

sorry averaging 300 plus yards a game that figures out to 4800 yards in his second year that means 10 wins i will take that

Lol yeah playing like we have played were not winning 10 games.  Our offense needs to click and he's the key.

Hes on pace for 4800 yards but hes also on pace for 32 interceptions and 16 touchdowns so ya know...there's that...

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll sum up my thoughts:

My question is simply was he not all those things last year?  and last year his ball placement just looked SOOOO much better.

Hell this preseason his ball placement looked better...

Just now, CBrownsman said:

My question is simply was he not all those things last year?  and last year his ball placement just looked SOOOO much better.

I don't think he had to think as much last year. One-two reads max.

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I mean, Baker hasn't been all bad. He's still made some of those throws that reminds you why he was the first the pick in the draft. But he's also looked off on what should be fairly easy throws.

Like I said, I don't think it's all on him, but he definitely needs to improve his play and be more consistent.

Edited by DawgX

There are a ton of factors that many have pointed out, but I think it boils down to this:

Baker historical has excelled in a quick passing, quick processing offense where long developing plays are the exception, not the norm. It really seems like this Monken offense has been very much so NOT that so far. How much of that is on the coaches and how much on Baker we can't know. But we desperately need to move towards more quick reads.

• Like 5