Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

I’ll point it out again, but since the bye Baker isn’t a whole lot different that last season.

193 309   62.46 2052 14 7 87.5 

The results are different and he hasn’t been clutch, but the raw numbers aren’t awfully different.

Those first few games absolutely killed him statistically for the season though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll point it out again, but since the bye Baker isn’t a whole lot different that last season.

The results are different and he hasn’t been clutch, but the raw numbers aren’t awfully different.

Those first few games absolutely killed him statistically for the season though.

I’m not sure if this makes me feel better or worse. My biggest fear isn’t Baker being a complete bust, but rather a purgatory/limbo QB for a while. 

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not sure if this makes me feel better or worse. My biggest fear isn’t Baker being a complete bust, but rather a purgatory/limbo QB for a while. 

Eh, those guys have won super bowls too.

I don’t see Baker being the guy who holds us back once he gets a couple seasons under his belt.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, those guys have won super bowls too.

I’m talking about the Marcus Mariota tier. Wins somewhere between 7-9 games, never progresses, you see flashes of why he was drafted high with flashes of really bad/holding an offense back, etc.

I don’t see Baker being the guy who holds us back once he gets a couple seasons under his belt.

I sincerely hope that you’re right. Right now, there’s plenty of blame to go around. IMO as much as people want Freddie gone, we’ve seen major regression defensively, especially with our secondary under Wilks. He should be gone yesterday.

The inabilities of our staff to utilize talent that we have and inability to develop top tier drafts and youth speaks volumes about the staff and culture everywhere.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I’m talking about the Marcus Mariota tier. Wins somewhere between 7-9 games, never progresses, you see flashes of why he was drafted high with flashes of really bad/holding an offense back, etc.

I think he’s already good enough to win with if you put him in the right positions.  

Freddie hasn’t done that.

Just now, MWil23 said:

I sincerely hope that you’re right. Right now, there’s plenty of blame to go around. IMO as much as people want Freddie gone, we’ve seen major regression defensively, especially with our secondary under Wilks. He should be gone yesterday.

The inabilities of our staff to utilize talent that we have and inability to develop top tier drafts and youth speaks volumes about the staff and culture everywhere.

Hard to develop talent when it’s a new staff every year.

New staff, new schemes, new techniques, etc.  

I think he’s already good enough to win with if you put him in the right positions.  

Freddie hasn’t done that.

He did last year though. He’s probably a classic great position coach or OC but not HC IMO.

Hard to develop talent when it’s a new staff every year.

New staff, new schemes, new techniques, etc.  

It’s the classic “chicken or the egg” argument. I didn’t like the Wilks hire from word go. You take two of the best young man/press man CB in the league and run exclusive zone with a single high safety look. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He did last year though. He’s probably a classic great position coach or OC but not HC IMO.

Yeah for whatever reason what we’re doing this year looks nothing like last year.

At all.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s the classic “chicken or the egg” argument. I didn’t like the Wilks hire from word go. You take two of the best young man/press man CB in the league and run exclusive zone with a single high safety look. 

I would have hoped he’d have tailored his scheme to the talent a bit more.

The man v press is a good point, but it irked me to see 3 safeties as a base when our safeties are so awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I think Baker really improves. I think this season was a huge wake up call for him

This season should have been a huge wake up call for him but to my knowledge he has yet to define, take ownership of and embrace corrective action addressing the root causes of his poor performance.

Until he does all that significant improvement is unlikely.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 6:54 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is the beauty of sports: that the tip of the iceberg box-score stats without context mean absolutely nothing.

Interestingly enough though, if you look at other deeper advanced analytics raw numbers via PFF, Sports Info Solutions, Football Outsiders, Pro Football Logic, etc (i.e., Big-time throws index, 3rd down efficiency, Accuracy without pressure, Accuracy with pressure, Misread index, Late-Throw to On-time Ratio, Response to Pressure coding, etc), Baker is a completely and totally different QB after the Bye this year versus after the Bye last year.

It's really a night and day different; and really shows the lack of utility of box-score stats in painting a representation of play for comparison purposes.

The box-score stats are similar, the advanced analytics and actual play quality as assessed by traditional scouting analysis metrics couldn't be anymore different.

Baker was substantially a better QB last year after the bye and that's even controlling for bad luck as well as personnel deficiencies.

The good news is that all is not lost heading into next year and that Baker still has the opportunity to be a top 10 QBs given his skill-set.

It could just be my confirmation bias at work, but let's just say Ryan Lindley is indeed not a quality QB coach; that would mean getting a new better one in to work with Baker, as well as an off-season guru to help Baker take the next step could very well lead to Baker taking that next step we all thought he would this year this upcoming year.

From the beginning, I've been wait and see until that magical 40-52 starts number hits. It's a little worrying that he's not that we're only a year away from him hitting that zone of knowing whether or not we have something longterm. Here's to hoping that we do, but no off-season or next coaching hire is more important. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bruceb said:

This season should have been a huge wake up call for him but to my knowledge he has yet to define, take ownership of and embrace corrective action addressing the root causes of his poor performance.

Until he does all that significant improvement is unlikely.

You're right bruce.

All his public comments point to him explicitly putting the issues of this season on OTAs. That if only the WRs and him would've had better OTAs and chemistry in OTAs all would've been/will be well. 

That to me is both some progress but also extremely alarming if that's all he thinks the problem was as the bulk of QB improvement happens before OTAs even begin. That's where QBs like Brees, Manning, Brady... even younger QBs like Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson make their giant leaps and begin to out-pace the field in knowledge, mechanic, and quarterbacking skills improvement/development. Lamar Jackson's mechanical improvements and base training as he put it "started 6 days after the season ended. I gave myself 6 days to reset then it was all go."

Baker has to recognize and take it upon himself to look inward in order to take the leap. He's going to have to get over his dislike for working with "QB gurus" because as he says "already knows how to throw." OBJ and Landry will likely be coming off of surgeries and will be limited in OTAs again to no fault of their own. Players get injured or in the old days they used to hold-out, but that can't stop a QB from improving.

OTAs are important, but without Baker taking it upon himself to improve his drop mechanics (i.e., speed/distance to drop depths), throwing mechanics, understanding of defense, eye progression training, eye deception training, pocket stature, pinpoint accuracy, understanding of offensive adjustment, etc... all before OTAs even occur then we will not take the next step as a team nor will Baker take the next step as a QB.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We’ll find out in the offseason if he’s on tv every other day and come into training camp looking thicc

Neither one of these tropes necessarily correlates to whether Baker plays well next season. It doesn't take much time to make some commercials and he was as for as plenty of successful QBs. All that said, it's likely you won't have to worry about either of these being an issue next off-season; he's likely heard this ad nauseum

Edited by NudeTayne
from this forum alone / zing!