Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

In terms of play style what does baker need?

He does well with a burner wr, perriman and hollywood brown. 

He doesnt have the athletic ability to elevate his line, while he is in cleveland he will need an oline, some guys dont need it, russ, big ben, others are dependant on it. Brees needs to be able to step up, i think baker is the same. We need an og on the right side he trusts. 

Baker also needs a tight end. Hopefully njoku becomes this for us. 

Kareem hunt is his d. Flowers type reciever outlet guy close to the los. 

Imo we need a te, an og, two ots, and a burner wr. Not rocket science by any stretch. 

Id trade obj for a great tackle straight up. Or a good g and a good t.

Edited by Kiwibrown

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Bakers will have a bounce back year.

Stefanski won’t have him in a dumbass air raid system. It will be play action and high efficiency throws. I expect the offensive line to improve after it gets upgraded.

A better Baker = More wins

Agreed.

I think the scheme changes will help the OL as well, even if they’d stayed the same (which it won’t).

Freddie ran waaaayyy too many plays that had our OT’s one on one with the DE’s without any help.  Obviously you’d hope they could handle that, but when they can’t you have to adjust and they just didn’t for whatever reason.

I would expect more play action, more max protection, more chipping with rb’s and TE’s, more moving the pocket, more 3 step drops, etc.

Our tackles were not good, but I think our play calling did them absolutely no favors.

Improve both tackle positions and shore up RG, rely more on the run game to set up the pass game, more play action, and more pass plays that allow Baker to roll right (which the right side of the line shored up) and we should be right back on schedule. Landry and OBJ will be like Theilen and Diggs on PEDs

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I want 25+ and 10 outta Baker.

That will be a successful (statistically) bounce back season. 

I don’t think his INT number will be that low.  Not yet anyway.

He takes risks and slings it and with that should come both big plays and likely turnovers.

I hope for 30/15 personally.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I want 25+ and 10 outta Baker.

That will be a successful (statistically) bounce back season. 

He takes risks and slings it and with that should come both big plays and likely turnovers.

Obviously it depends on what type of offense we run and situational stuff that could turn 8 passing TDs into running TDs but my expectations are closer to 35-10. I couldn't imagine a season going worse than this year for Baker. He probably threw 8 picks playing hero ball trying to get back in games. Probably about the same number were tipped by receivers or stopped routes or just unlucky stuff. A handful were just wtf or inaccurate throws. Those probably stay at the same rate but I expect the others to drop and if we are winning and his luck is just average 15 picks seems high. With Chubb/Hunt we should have to pass at a high rate inside the 10 so he probably wouldn't reach 40 TD but if we become run first that will open up playaction and there should be some deep shots available.

That said for what Baker can do he probably gets a C for the year. The line gets a failing grade. The RBs obviously were an A and the receiving core a C- if I feel generous. Certainly should be better days ahead.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Baker looks like he's getting into good off-season shape...

... he's got it all figured out...

... and by it ... I mean fast-food menus ...

f3d48f975efb41a78a34624a422b247b_md.jpg

ZMDFCeX.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Baker's not the freakish big guy Big Ben 6'5" type who has always been a bigger athlete that had to get in shape. Baker doesn't have Ben's elite athletic gifts to fall back on. Nor is baker the 6'4" Brady who struggled to keep weight on at the combine.

The elite QBs are obsessed with the climb toward greatness. The pursuit becomes a way of life.

Be it nutrition/eating habits or exercise/fitness or recovery or kills/knowledge development all of it matters in the race toward getting to the top of the QB/athlete mountain.

Baker can't afford to needs a team of nutritionists, QB trainers/skills development staff, physiologists/sports performance support staff, fitness trainers, etc around him just like the Brees, Brady, Wilson, Wentz, Watson types. If it's good enough for them and other elite athletes than Baker's got to go all in at some point.

----------------------------------------

As much as I joke, the idea that at some point we'll have to come to the realization that Baker ain't it is truly unsettling...

... he's got to turn it around ... Stefanski, the coaches, his teammates, and Baker himself have to help him get back on track ...

... we F-in needs this sh*t to get back right ... it's gotta work out to the playoffs at least a few years... right?!

Edited by Mind Character

On 1/19/2020 at 10:55 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That is true but Haley’s and Freddie’s offense were never about the safe passes. Especially last year it seemed like Freddie was always calling for the homerun shot. 

now with Stef, his offense is more built around the safer throw and letting the WRs do a majority of the work like what should have been last year. 

I think their is potential that he can be a lot more careful with the ball. also, if we go to a run heavier offense, it should open up passing for him. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Props to Baker

That was a complete 180 from his sit down with Colin Cowherd. Granted Rex Ryan was exactly what I thought he’d be, throwing softballs because he wants Baker on his show. 

Nick Wright still likes Baker so it was smart to go on his show too.

Moved it here so it won't get lost in roster talk...

Indeed, props to Baker.... best thing "I can't worry about outside opinion and I think that's what happened last year."

As I've said all season even while we were are giving our critiques of his negative play or behaviors:

He takes ownership and battles. Those are longterm traits that give us hope that he can still be it year 3 despite all the mounting negative trends.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, Mind Character said:

I know Baker was a lot older than a lot of the QBs that came out in his draft as well as even some from previous draft classes, but every single week Baker stands up there and is accountable in public statements.

Every single week no matter what he takes ownership in the what needs to be improved.

He battled out there today and did not give in or lay down. 

These are all things we knew about him coming out in the draft, but it's still something positive to rally around during these football adversity times.

The next step play-wise is out there for him. He doesn't like offseason mechanics drilling and isn't obsessed with footwork and mechanics constantly going over them like Brees, Manning, and Brady. He's a solid worker but even Scot McCloughan noted before he officially joined the Browns that Baker was a good worker but relies on talent a lot like Favre but without the physical athletic gifts. Scot thought Baker unlike Favre was going to have to go all in on Film study, defensive recognition analysis, and all things Quarterbacking preparation.

McCloughan, Wolf, Dorsey, and others believe Baker will be that relentless worker and go the extra mile like Brees.

I just hope he will. I just hope that this season is the wake-up call that fuels him to take the next step. I hope that the 6 or 7 wins in the 2nd half of the season doesn't make him complacent thinking that his way is good enough.

There's another level out there for Baker. He has the talent. 

Mah.. oh man... I hope he gets there.

Edited by Mind Character

Rex was nervous as hell ...

he didn't want any smoke...

On how he can be better and just focus on what he can control: " ....not worrying about the outside stuff; not replying to you; telling you that if you don't wear orange and brown don't matter."

Edited by Mind Character

I still think all of the "what Baker says" to who about what means nothing. It's only the stuff on the field that matters. Baker failed on the field because the ability of the offense wasn't good and they were set up to have good protection and have receivers beat their guy and then finish it out with Chubb running out the clock. We didn't have the line to give receivers time to get open and those receivers didn't get separation anyway. The offense was doomed to fail no matter who was under center. Obviously there should have been some altering of the offense after a few games but that didn't happen.

I have zero concern about Baker as the QB. I have no feelings one way or the other about what he says to the media. I don't care that he weighs 5 pounds more than what you guys like to see with his shirt off, he is a QB. He was out there giving 100% in the last game when other leaders of the offense already mailed it in. I just want the offense to be able to put the QB in a situation to succeed like they did his rookie year. An offensive line that doesn't force the QB to be a one read QB. An offense that adjusts.

A defense that can stop the run.

I don't think we need geniuses within our coaching staff, just the concept of what works and the ability to change it up if it isn't working.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I won't care how he looks until June/July though. 

Right?  Dude has been prolly chilling for a few weeks just resting and getting his body unf***ed and folks are shaking their heads because he’s not in fighting shape at the end of January.

Give the dude a moment to relax ffs.

• Like 1