Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

52 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

16th of March 2019:

Our leader is Baker Mayfield. It has to be. Thankfully, he’s genuine enough in his desire to be a winner and love for his teammates that I think we are one of the few teams that would actually benefit from him being fiery or having a moment when he needs to.

There is a difference between being the Miami Hurricanes where everyone is pure emotion and the New England Patriots where the greatest qb ever gets angry a few times a season.

The Miami Hurricanes would not work in the pros, and we do need to make sure we don’t fall into that territory, imo. We should be leaning more towards the Pats. A QB that everyone respects and understands is the true leader. Follow his passion and let him lead.

2nd of March 2019:

I don’t usually advocate for other teams copying New England staples, primarily because other teams don’t have Tom Brady. 

But Baker has some similar traits in getting the ball out fast and accurately to a good read, especially in the middle of the field where they can catch and run in stride.

We also have A+ personnel to run some of those packages, if we were to add Fant/Hockenson.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl running the same Two Tight End formation three plays in a row. In a mismatch league, there’s extreme value in being able to pass out of a heavy set after establishing a dominant run game.

Brady - Mayfield

Michel - Chubb

Burkhead - Hunt

Gronk - Njoku

Allen - Fant/Hock

Apart from Brady and Gronk, the Browns have better talent. And Mayfield and Njoku are no joke anyway.

8th of October 2018: 

I’m sort of on that fine line between being super hyped and losing my mind just because we can actually win a game now, and at the same time trying to remain calm enough to see that we have only played a few games in what will hopefully be a career of hundreds of games for these guys.

For me, I think Mayfield and Darnold have had the best moments but even they have made mistakes and had growing pains. Darnold vs us in that second half couldn’t do anything. Baker vs Oakland turned the ball over too much and made a bad decision in overtime. But then they’ve shown real promise. Darnold vs Detroit and the poise on his debut to comeback from that first throw. Darnold vs Denver yesterday with a couple of brilliant bombs in a difficult game. Baker vs Jets with the epic debut and command of the offense. Baker vs Ravens with the key overtime clutch play in a difficult game.

Statistically there isn’t a great deal between them either way. They’re both showing they can win and make plays.

It’s early though. I don’t even want to say Josh Allen sucks at this point. Even if the eyeball test and his stats would suggest so.

He’s doing well and is bringing a spark to us that no other QB was able to for a long time.

I do think he needs to improve vs the blitz and pressure. I think he completed 42% against that yesterday. That was always my main worry with Baker, how he does against pressure when his lack of height means he can get enveloped a bit. There were a couple of sacks he took where he didn’t seem to cope well with the pressure collapsing the pocket.

With time, he is really nice.

24th of September 2018:

Rewatched the game tonight. Baker was awesome. We’ve already got some talent but I can’t wait to add a few more pieces to help him grow.

Yeah, I sound like a real hater. I’ve had the same reasoned opinions and support for him from the moment he went in for us in his first game.

Before that first game was generally you hounding me about disliking him and trying to draw a line between me and everyone else by making antagonistic comments of how you want Darnold to fail, just to spite me.

before that first game all you did was complain about how you still wanted darnold

59 minutes ago, mistakey said:

before that first game all you did was complain about how you still wanted darnold

Incorrect.

Not even 4 days after the draft you were already chasing me up deciding it was going to be sour grapes from me for the next 6 months and that the ‘bunch of complainers’ on here (I’m guessing you meant the people that didn’t want Mayfield and probably needed a week or so to come round to the pick, hardly unexpected for that to be the case) has turned you into a hardened anti-Darnold man.

This was my responses to you, as I say, literally less than a week after we drafted Baker.

“Believe me, it's not sour grapes. Darnold was never a Brown and isn't ever going to be one. It's been a week almost, I'm not that bothered by it anymore. I hope he does well because I like the guy and his play style, just like I hope Baker does well. Except I hope Baker succeeds a lot more.

But you're talking like those of us who don't think Baker is a good prospect all of a sudden are expected to change our minds just because he was drafted by the browns. It's completely independent of Darnold. I could have disliked Darnold, it wouldn't have made a difference to what I thought of Baker.

I want Baker to succeed. I think he will fail. I don't know why that's such a disgraceful opinion to have.”

Your reply... “believe me. It is sour grapes. Ya sure are complaining a lot.”

To which I flat out said the following.

“Not complaining. I'm discussing my opinion that I think we took a QB who isn't going to be all that good.

I don't care about Darnold. Forget about Darnold. I didn't even bring him up. I made a post solely about Baker.”

Not even a week after the draft. I got over it pretty quick and supported Baker (whilst still rightly and fairly giving my opinion about the worries I had over his ability). If anything, up until that Mayfield’s debut, the only time I got into debates about Darnold was when I took the bait to posts you and Thomas made about the subject.

I’ve been tarred with the Darnold brush for the rest of my time on FF just because I preferred the dude over Baker (and went a step further and didn’t particularly want Baker at all) before either of them were even pro players. 

Nothing I’ve written since then has really been viewed as anything other than Baker-resentment. Negative opinions over aspects of his play or voicing concerns isn’t welcome, not from me anyway because really I am loving it. Or something like that. It is what it is.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 7:28 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

Come on man.

This is starting to look worrying. Look, I might have been more right than wrong about Mayfield after all and he isn’t that good, but for god sake can we at least call a coherent game that gives him a chance to prove me wrong?

We are calling the game like he is Patrick Mahomes.

Same attitude you had before baker started his first game when you came in and talked about how great Sam was.

bunch of ex darnold people that I don’t think do this - mwil and Nate dawg for example.  But perhaps we just experience and remember differently

no reason to continue this I’ll just not comment on your baker posts

45 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Same attitude you had before baker started his first game when you came in and talked about how great Sam was.

bunch of ex darnold people that I don’t think do this - mwil and Nate dawg for example.  But perhaps we just experience and remember differently

no reason to continue this I’ll just not comment on your baker posts

In that post I am saying that it may well be that I am more right than wrong on him and he isn’t that good after all, but that we aren’t even giving him a chance to prove me wrong with the stupid gameplans and offensive scheme.

Okay, that’s fair and cool with me. We disagree, and maybe we have experienced this differently as you say. For what it’s worth, no hard feelings on my end. Like everyone else in here, just want this team to sort things out, string good performances together and fulfill expectations.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Walk it off.

It's the best pneumonia to have at least. Still, get better.

Eat some Greek yogurt with your antibiotic so you don't need probiotics.

Don't believe in antibiotics.

Do not like yogurt.

Just drinking kombucha and red wine.

59 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Do not like yogurt.

Just drinking kombucha and red wine.

Ah you're old school. You treat a toothache with Whiskey. A stomach ulcer with whiskey. Alcoholism with whiskey.

I like your style.

I don't like yogurt either and Greek means it not only tastes bad but leaves your mouth feeling like you haven't had any liquids for 3 months.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
15 hours ago, bruceb said:

Lol wut?

We all have our own beliefs, he just happens to believe antibiotics don't exist. I don't believe there are really penguins. We all have something we believe whether there is proof or not, it's called faith.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 2