Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If he’s going to play that heel role he at least needs to own it. It seemed like once the game started, he was passively on the sideline disengaged from the emotions of the game and from his teammates. 

I'll be blunt:

If he wins, I'll love his attitude in that everyone else hates him. I've wanted a player like that for a LONG time (See: Hines Ward, Ray Lewis, etc.).

That said, if he doesn't put up NOW, then I'm going to come down hard on him. He's 32nd out of 34 QB in the NFL in passer rating, ahead of only Luke Falk and Josh Rosen. That's beyond unacceptable and not all of this is on the coaching staff.

It's PUT UP AND SHUT UP until you do time Baker. Expectations are high and you're underwhelming and playing AWFUL.

• Like 4

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'll be blunt:

If he wins, I'll love his attitude in that everyone else hates him. I've wanted a player like that for a LONG time (See: Hines Ward, Ray Lewis, etc.).

That said, if he doesn't put up NOW, then I'm going to come down hard on him. He's 32nd out of 34 QB in the NFL in passer rating, ahead of only Luke Falk and Josh Rosen. That's beyond unacceptable and not all of this is on the coaching staff.

It's PUT UP AND SHUT UP until you do time Baker. Expectations are high and you're underwhelming and playing AWFUL.

Boom

55 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

People are quickly jumping off the Baker ship. Hes playing poorly right now. But let’s see what our 2nd year Qb can do with an OL/a competent gameplan before passing long term judgement. 

What if we don't get that

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from the fact that Monken looks like a trash OC so far, our OL looks horrific/is getting exposed, and our  team is way too undisciplined with penalties:

Baker's weaknesses coming out of the draft are getting exposed/amplified now that he has almost 20 games under his belt, and here's the reality:

1. He can't read the whole field. If his primary/secondary WR's are covered, he panics

2. Building off of #1, he can't navigate the pocket, and his internal clock jumps to "I need to roll outside the pocket and improvise" when he should stay in the perfectly good pocket, scan the field, step up, side step, etc.

3. Building off of #1/#2, Monken and company are asking him to do too much. We need to design a more friendly 1-3 step quick passing attack and get rid of any TE or 21 personnel guy on the field not named Seals Jones. Get another fast guy on the field, even if that's Hilliard at RB with Chubb as well to force more checkdown and RAC opportunities for those guys

4. Until Baker can navigate the pocket and read a defense, I'd expect more of the same. He's looked AWFUL. I still love him, but right now, I'm starting to get concerned about his growth going forward.

If we look like this again next week vs. Seattle, I think Freddie would be wise to delegate more HC responsibilities to others and take full responsibility of play calling with the bye week to prepare for New England.

You make some good points about how Baker's core full field processing issues work together and build off each other to create other issues.

All is not lost and there's time for Baker and the offense to turn it around.

One thing though: It's Freddie calling the plays and leading the critical offensive meetings not Monken as he's been turned into a figure head assistant thus far.  After Freddie, I've heard that it's been James Campen and Jody Wright with more influence on this offense than Monken and even then Freddie's is dominating the scheming and organization instead of being more collaborative. Monken probably could help us more as his offenses are predicated off of more rhythm building.

Monken also believes that people close to Freddie have been periodically floating the idea of the offense struggling to come together is as a result of Monken's incompetence. Such rumblings have been prevalent since the offseason. Monken also took issue with Freddie not coming to his defense in the media and talking around the issue not addressing the question when he was directly asked there was any truth to the rumor that "Monken has been underwhelming at his job so far" in the offseason.  

I'm telling you right now.  It could get messy soon between Monken and Freddie as they've apparently had a rocky relationship from the beginning.

@Mind Character you may be right on all of that, but it's hard to believe that Freddie could be such a great coordinator, scheme protection/plays, and play to Baker's strengths in 2018 and then suddenly forget how to coach, call plays, and come up with gameplans in 2019. The common denominator is Monken...and the other option(s) are that Baker has enough on film now to be exposed until he progresses (I believe this, just as I believe he can still grow and change) and/or that Freddie isn't HC material (I don't believe this tbh).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Mind Character you may be right on all of that, but it's hard to believe that Freddie could be such a great coordinator, scheme protection/plays, and play to Baker's strengths in 2018 and then suddenly forget how to coach, call plays, and come up with gameplans in 2019. The common denominator is Monken...and the other option(s) are that Baker has enough on film now to be exposed until he progresses (I believe this, just as I believe he can still grow and change) and/or that Freddie isn't HC material (I don't believe this tbh).

Here's the thing: It is more common than not that success as an OC does not translate to success as an HC-OC even within the same team/personnel from year to year. We see it all the time: A strong solid OC then seems incompetent as an OC when they become HC. Look what happened with Dirk Koetter when he went from OC of Tampa Bay to when he became OC-HC. We only had a small sample size for Freddie as well.

Each season is different as well. 

I'm just saying that from the outside looking in it makes sense to blame the "new ingredient" (Monken), but there are other new ingredients as well like Ryan Lindley instead of Ken Zampese.

Freddie calls the plays. Jody Wright, Ryan Lindley, Stump Mitchell, James Campen, and Todd Monken give their input on game-plan and a few core play-calls. Freddie includes some and excludes input as he sees fit. Freddie leads the offensive meetings. Monken works to keep Freddie organized on task and leads meetings with James Campen whenever Freddie is unavailable b/c of HC duties.

This is Freddie's Offense.  The issues fall on all involved of course, but some of our issues are b/c Monken is underutilized not because his incompetent involvement imo.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

So turns out Richard Sherman is a lying ****, There is video of Baker and Richard shaking hands pre game and Baker try’s to talk to him but he walks straight past without even looking Baker in the face 

Everyone prolly believes it's true now anyway right?