Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

5 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

My question is simply was he not all those things last year?  and last year his ball placement just looked SOOOO much better.

Hell this preseason his ball placement looked better...

Last year, we ran an offense predicated on play action passes, getting to a 2nd receiver, and had an OL that was schemed to keep Baker clean. This year, we're asking him to diagnose things presnap, which right now, he's not ready to do. This is why the playclock is down to 2 seconds every snap, he's confused trying to get the ball to his primary WR (there aren't enough motions to decipher zone vs man coverage, etc.), his footwork is sloppy because he's got guys in his face or he's feeling pocket ghosts, and he's been sacked a lot more this year. Half the time last year, he only was reading half of the field.

We need to incorporate more motions, misdirections, etc., otherwise the playbook needs to shrink until he's ready.

He’s not focused, he’s getting confused, and his mechanics are bad. He refuses to take the open underneath route and is forcing things downfield or getting crushed. Two passes really alarmed me:

1. The inaccurate throw to OBJ when he stepped up in the pocket was not just because of the holding. Baker had plenty of time and OBJ shook the dude off.

2. The one when he drifted right and tried to hit Landry on the sideline and completely missed him.

Edited by candyman93

25 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

There are a ton of factors that many have pointed out, but I think it boils down to this:

Baker historical has excelled in a quick passing, quick processing offense where long developing plays are the exception, not the norm. It really seems like this Monken offense has been very much so NOT that so far. How much of that is on the coaches and how much on Baker we can't know. But we desperately need to move towards more quick reads.

Yeah very much this.  This is what I believe I am seeing on the field.

I do still think there are some accuracy issues that I hope will be fixed, but we need to get back to quick passes and quick decisions...

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I think his safety blanket (Higgins) is out and he’s trying to use his shiny new toy far (obj) too much 

i mean he still led the the team to a 20 point win on the road so let’s not go too far but yeah let’s hope they pick it up

a 20 point win on the road is less impressive when it was a middle of the road team who was playing their 2nd and 3rd QB, the leader and best player on their defense was out, and one of their stud Dlinemen was out.  Our defense played great!  Our offense was constantly at midfield and sputtered.  We can play much better than that....

Just now, CBrownsman said:

a 20 point win on the road is less impressive when it was a middle of the road team who was playing their 2nd and 3rd QB, the leader and best player on their defense was out, and one of their stud Dlinemen was out.  Our defense played great!  Our offense was constantly at midfield and sputtered.  We can play much better than that....

It’s our largest margin of victory since like 2014 let’s stop complaining 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mistakey said:

It’s our largest margin of victory since like 2014 let’s stop complaining 

That is both depressing and not overly acceptable as an answer.  Sorry for not being super excited about looking bad and beating a bad team that we should beat handily.  I understand and have lived through being terrible and I'm not overly happy accepting "not terrible" as being a good thing.

If we want to have any chance at winning more than 1 of our next 5 games, our offense needs to play better...I think we can but I'm CERTAINLY not going to pound by chest over beating a team with crippling injuries that we should beat...Were not the same browns from the past 3 years...

Edited by CBrownsman

14 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

That is both depressing and not overly acceptable as an answer.  Sorry for not being super excited about looking bad and beating a bad team that we should beat handily.  I understand and have lived through being terrible and I'm not overly happy accepting "not terrible" as being a good thing.

If we want to have any chance at winning more than 1 of our next 5 games, our offense needs to play better...I think we can but I'm CERTAINLY not going to pound by chest over beating a team with crippling injuries that we should beat...Were not the same browns from the past 3 years...

good teams have not terrible games as well, its life

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

good teams have not terrible games as well, its life

But we have yet to prove that we are good.

Laid an egg week one.  Looked stagnant week two.  Again if we want to beat the Rams, Ravens, Pats or 49ers, we need to play better offensively.

I think we can beat seattle playing the way we are, but not the others, so just trying to get a read on what others think is going on offensively.

4 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

But we have yet to prove that we are good.

Laid an egg week one.  Looked stagnant week two.  Again if we want to beat the Rams, Ravens, Pats or 49ers, we need to play better offensively.

I think we can beat seattle playing the way we are, but not the others, so just trying to get a read on what others think is going on offensively.

so would you rather give the benefit of the doubt to a team that you know already has it, or give the benefit of the doubt to your favorite team and have good vibes?

i know which one im taking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

so would you rather give the benefit of the doubt to a team that you know already has it, or give the benefit of the doubt to your favorite team and have good vibes?

i know which one im taking.

Maybe this is the browns fan in me.  I've been hurt too many times to get my hopes up that high assuming we will figure it out.

I think we could be a playoff team even starting the season 2-5, but I am preparing myself to start the season 2-5 yes....

At least i'm happy looking at the second half of our season :-P