Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

5 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

https://youtu.be/7O5W5su_vGo

pretty interesting breakdown. I think play calling is clearly the biggest issue with the offense IMO

Agree. Mayfield could be playing better as well, but watching our offense this year is reminding me a lot of Hue's offense. No adjustments, not putting your players in a position to succeed, wanting to throw the intermediate to deep ball what seems like 70% of the time, too much gimmicky plays that good defenses will not fall for, and worst of all, the head coach saying the same shiz every week about how the team needs to play better and it starting with the coaching. 

I would love to actually see this so called better coaching instead of hearing Kitchens talk about it every week. How the hell can the media and fans be talking about your offense being garbage and not using your players properly, yet nothing is done about it. Please stop lining OBJ and Landry up right next to each other; makes it easier for teams to provide help on that side of the field and they also know there is a higher probability that the play call is to throw it to one of the other side of the field to the lesser receivers who can be covered 1 on 1.

It sucks watching bad teams still find ways to get their 2nd and 3rd tier receivers open and knowing the only way we can consistently get OBJ the ball is by having him throw it....

I'd like to ask you guys who know this team well; would you say your offense is heavily relying on longer developing passing concepts, and mostly neglecting the quick-passing game? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

From what you say (porous OL, Baker being flushed) it seems a quick-fire game would benefit him and the offense. When we had OL issues in 2015, that's when we went super slant and flats with Edelman and Vereen etc, and didn't give pressure a chance. 

It seems like a lot of you say most of the passing concepts are miles downfield. If this is true, why are they not using the quick passing game more? Is it a lack of receiving RB/TE or something? Baker's accuracy and quickness would frustrate defenses.

Edited by Hunter2_1

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd like to ask you guys who know this team well; would you say your offense is heavily relying on longer developing passing concepts, and mostly neglecting the quick-passing game? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

We flip between both week to week unfortunately, favoring the long passing. 

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

From what you say (porous OL, Baker being flushed) it seems a quick-fire game would benefit him and the offense. When we had OL issues in 2015, that's when we went super slant and flats with Edelman and Vereen etc, and didn't give pressure a chance. 

It seems like a lot of you say most of the passing concepts are miles downfield. If this is true, why are they not using the quick passing game more? Is it a lack of receiving RB/TE or something? Baker's accuracy and quickness would frustrate defenses.

Our coaches are sucking on balls.

• Like 2

Just a random thought.

Let’s say I’m correct and Baker needs protected similar to how Dak Prescott has been protected with a strong rushing attack. Do you extend Kareem Hunt after next year? I say yes, because I want to keep talent at all cost and not just assume we can draft and replace. My concern is him not wanting to be in a rotation with Chubb.

I’d like to have the 2019 version of Kevin Mack and Ernest Byner.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

The last three games Baker has his eyes on one receiver and the defenses are obviously wise to this tendency.   I concur with many who believe that Kitchens is not "coaching up" his QB and does not see this trend for  his focused eyes on receivers instead of going through his progressions to find best possibility.  From my standpoint, I just do not understand why we do not double team Bosa/Donald and others as well as having RB and TE chip block to buy some more time.  Baker's timing is definitely off whenever he senses footsteps.

I know Baker was a lot older than a lot of the QBs that came out in his draft as well as even some from previous draft classes, but every single week Baker stands up there and is accountable in public statements.

Every single week no matter what he takes ownership in the what needs to be improved.

He battled out there today and did not give in or lay down. 

These are all things we knew about him coming out in the draft, but it's still something positive to rally around during these football adversity times.

The next step play-wise is out there for him. He doesn't like offseason mechanics drilling and isn't obsessed with footwork and mechanics constantly going over them like Brees, Manning, and Brady. He's a solid worker but even Scot McCloughan noted before he officially joined the Browns that Baker was a good worker but relies on talent a lot like Favre but without the physical athletic gifts. Scot thought Baker unlike Favre was going to have to go all in on Film study, defensive recognition analysis, and all things Quarterbacking preparation.

McCloughan, Wolf, Dorsey, and others believe Baker will be that relentless worker and go the extra mile like Brees.

I just hope he will. I just hope that this season is the wake-up call that fuels him to take the next step. I hope that the 6 or 7 wins in the 2nd half of the season doesn't make him complacent thinking that his way is good enough.

There's another level out there for Baker. He has the talent. 

Mah.. oh man... I hope he gets there.

• Like 1

I’ve decided that 75% of this forum needs to get a good sleep prior to posting here again. 

Today has brought some real lows that I didn’t know existed. Don’t worry, I’m not judging individual posters necessarily. But man has this been a train wreck to read the different threads.

If I read the same stuff tomorrow when logging on, I will say that this fan base doesn’t deserve a winner and mean it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

I’ve decided that 75% of this forum needs to get a good sleep prior to posting here again. 

You’re being generous.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Today has brought some real lows that I didn’t know existed. Don’t worry, I’m not judging individual posters necessarily. But man has this been a train wreck to read the different threads.

If I read the same stuff tomorrow when logging on, I will say that this fan base doesn’t deserve a winner and mean it.

I won’t ruin the surprise for you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I'm already looking at Justin Fields 2021

Fields ain't it for the next level. Mental trigger is too slow and he doesn't see the game well and throw with anticipation.

Baker has time. This season could be the wake-up call for Baker to put in the time in the off-season. We might give Lincoln Riley or Matt Rhule 20 million a year to be our HC next year.

Mid-way into year 3 we'll know for sure.

• Like 2