Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

7 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

You all make a lot of excuses for Baker. 5 TD 11 INTs is terrible, no excuse for that level of play. 

I agree with this completely.

7 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Baker has more help than any QB in football, yet is trash every week. 

LOL

This part is an absolute troll job.

His OL is abysmal. 

His WR play is inconsistent due to timing, injuries, and suspensions.

He's got a rookie HC and new OC.

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

If we don't come out against the Patriots after this bye totally healthy and at least compete we are through. 

Pittsburgh tryout QB just went and won an away game. 

I'm not giving Baker any more slack 

Steelers and Tomlin know how to handle a young QB. Steelers ran in 36x I believe and they had a defensive touchdown. Let’s not act like that tryout QB was the reason they won the game. He played “let’s not screw it up” for the defense and the run game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

People are oversimplifying the issues here, wanting to take sides and put it on one individual. Freddie, Baker, WRs, etc. Truth is, it’s not that simple. Long, drawn out conversations on who was at fault between Antonio Callaway and Baker Mayfield on a slightly inaccurate football that clearly should also have been caught.

"It's not that simple. Actually, it's simple: It's on Callaway and the ball was slightly inaccurate and Baker was minimally at fault." Lol. 

The Spirit of what you were saying with your post is absolutely true though as it's been a bevy of things all working together with different people at different times performing poorly to lead to our losing results.

15 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

"It's not that simple. Actually, it's simple: It's on Callaway and the ball was slightly inaccurate and Baker was minimally at fault." Lol. 

The Spirit of what you were saying with your post is absolutely true though as it's been a bevy of things all working together with different people at different times performing poorly to lead to our losing results.

Baker has not been accurate this year and has had numerous other issues, for sure. I think he’s one of many aspects of this offense, both players and coaches, that have been performing very poorly this season. And when you have a play where the accuracy isn’t what it needs to be and a receiver fails to catch a ball that he should still come up with, I think that’s what we saw with that one play. 

Unfortunately that’s one of many examples of things just being off with our offense, even slightly. We have seen poorly timed passes that have failed to connect between Mayfield and Odell Beckham. Things are just off as a whole, and there’s plenty of blame to go around. I’m just not on the side of the fence that thinks replacing the head coach or the second year quarterback in the immediate future will solve any of our issues.

Best case scenario, things really get cleaned up on the bye week, and we make a run the second half of the season. I fear that our best work might come in the off-season, however. To make that next step, we really need our quarterback to make the next step with the rest of the team. Chemistry with the receivers is part of that.  The biggest part is Mayfield putting in dedicated work in the off-season, film room, etc. and holding others accountable to fall in line. We need total buy-in from guys like Antonio Callaway and Odell Beckham to get this thing going consistently. I do think that Higgins and Jarvis Landry probably have the best chemistry with Mayfield, though it’s tough to say whether Higgins will suit up here next season. Another thing I’ve been disappointed with while watching Baker Mayfield during the games is that I haven’t really seen him engaging the rest of the offense when things are going poorly. He just seems off to himself. Maybe the camera just isn’t catching it or I haven’t watched closely enough.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

0 sacks and 0 pressures. Can’t  blame the offensive line.

Runningback had 100+ yards and OBJ had 100+ yards. Can’t blame lack of help.

That’s on you Baker.

We scored enough points to win. Our defense needs to learn how to tackle.

Our WRs were responsible for at least 1 of the INT's last week. Baker hasn't been good, but it's not all on Baker.

12 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

You all make a lot of excuses for Baker. 5 TD 11 INTs is terrible, no excuse for that level of play.  Baker has more help than any QB in football, yet is trash every week. 

At least our 2nd year QB isnt out kissing on Dirty Women and getting diseases that most of us covered in HS or College LOL.....so:

tenor.gif?itemid=5520257

Edited by DaWg_LB.

58 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

0 sacks and 0 pressures. Can’t  blame the offensive line.

Runningback had 100+ yards and OBJ had 100+ yards. Can’t blame lack of help.

That’s on you Baker.

OBJ had 100 yards but his game was not nearly as impressive as his stats indicate. He was responsible for key drops. He made a couple of nice grabs but OBJ's play was underwhelming yesterday.

How many tipped passes and dropped passes were there yesterday? I feel like there was about 5 or 6. Some of those throws could have been better, but when the ball hits you in both hands you've gotta come down with it.

20 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I said it last week, and I will say it again the Browns made a huge mistake not taking Sam Darnold, Darnold is still only 22 and plays with half the talent the Browns have.

He was who I'd have picked too but it's still really early. Baker has a lot of talent and can be a premier QB if he works for it. Darnold can definitely be one too, but they could both be disappointments, as well.

I just don't want to think we made the wrong choice AGAIN. I don't think I can handle that.

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

5TD and 11 picks is seriously abysmal football.

Blaming the refs after this one I see. Refs aren’t the reason he is playing like one of the worst QBs in the league this year.

We got the mentality all wrong coming into this season. And we are still getting it wrong now.

Look yourself in the mirror Baker, and get back to basics. Less commercials, less blame game, less bailing out the pocket to the right all the time, less inaccurate ball placement, less bad decisions on throws.

This is bad football and he isn’t a plucky college walk-on any more. He’s a #1 overall pick for crying out loud.

This

im not saying he’s a bust. 

But right after Freddie Baker has been the biggest disappointment on the team. 

These consistent inaccurate passes are ruining our chances at winning 

but we shouldn’t be throwing the ball as much and that’s on Freddie. 

No matter what we need to be throwing 22-24 times a game. That’s it.  

I think at the end of the day we need to understand this. 

Baker Mayfield is not Patrick Mahomes. He is not talented enough or skilled enough to treat him the way we are treating him. We are calling plays like he’s Peyton Manning. He’s more Dak Prescott than Tom Brady. So you have to call plays accordingly. Stupid is what stupid does Freddie and continuing to have an inaccurate QB throw away our games in the red zone is stupid 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I said it last week, and I will say it again the Browns made a huge mistake not taking Sam Darnold, Darnold is still only 22 and plays with half the talent the Browns have.

Please make sure to bring this up every week

I have zero worries about Baker. No QB throws every pass in a 3" diameter area for his receivers. The receivers have to adjust and make catches no matter who the QB is. The INT to Landry was bad and even though Landry had his hand(s) on it, it was still a 50/50 ball and that wasn't the time or place to make that throw. The one that hit Hilliard right ion both hands is all Hilliard. The other one where the LB ran into OBJ running his route was DPI that didn't get called nor challenged by Freddie for some reason, there was plenty of time to see the replay and throw the flag and I do think they would have overturned that one even though they are trying not to overturn anything unless it is extremely obvious, but that one was.

It easily could have been a 0 pick day for Baker as only the one in the end zone was a dangerous pass. OBJ, while not credited with every drop because they are gracious with those has had 6 in the last two weeks that an average receiver would be expected to catch. One per week is fine, it happens but his number is really high. Landry is at about 1 per week so respectable.

Overall Baker's numbers look horrific. He hasn't always been sharp but so much better than his numbers show. He is also a keeper and not going anywhere for 12-15 years so I don't know if some people want to keep nitpicking stupid stuff (too busy getting married, doing commercials) because it will get old and you'll just continue to not like Baker more and more because of what you thought before he was drafted. Let it go. Mention flaws and mistakes all you want but you were wrong before the draft and you're still wrong. He is an NFL QB and a good one. Embrace him.

I was fine with taking either Baker or Sam before the draft.

Baker was the correct choice though. I don't give a ish how old Darnold is. That's the most asinine argument you could make about drafting a QB (unless talking about Weeden). I also don't care how good Darnold's stats look. He'll never be able to make the throws that Baker is able to make. Go big or go home. Baker will be fine. His struggles this season will be good for him long term.

On the off chance that Baker doesn't become a consistently good QB, he will still have been a better pick than Darnold.

Edited by Don Roshi