Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

Baker fined 12k by Browns for criticizing refs lol. 

Browns went from internet daring/underdog to root for to one of the most hated teams due to Bakers attitude. I suppose being cocky and arrogant works if you’re performing well.... or at least people look the other way. But he’s pure trash this year and still talkin. 

Hopefully with Kitchens gone he can revive his career though. I always thought an internal hire was the wrong move for the Browns. 

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Browns went from internet daring/underdog to root for to one of the most hated teams due to Bakers attitude. I suppose being cocky and arrogant works if you’re performing well.... or at least people look the other way. But he’s pure trash this year and still talkin. 

Hopefully with Kitchens gone he can revive his career though. I always thought an internal hire was the wrong move for the Browns. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Good. I'm glad he did. The refs were f'ing atrocious last week.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The idea that the league can allow refs to continually blow simple calls despite having the technology to easily correct them in this day and age is nuts.

The fact they then fine players for who don’t toe the company line is even crazier.

”Hey y’all, if we eff up you’d better not tell anyone or we’re gonna take some of your salary.”  😂 what kind of response is that??

All I know is if I was gonna say something that would get me fined, I’d sure as hell get my money’s worth.

• Like 2

To be a transcendent QB that can elevate/lift an offense and transcend the situation no matter what really surrounds them a QB needs some combo of a few of: 

1.) Plus functional athletic ability and movement ability (Baker doesn't have this)

2.) Plus ability to read and manipulate defenses (Baker is not close to there yet; many young QBs aren't)

3.) Plus Pocket awareness/feel/strike ability under duress (Baker is good in this category sometimes but a lot of times he sees ghost and flees)

4.) Plus Arm talent, pinpoint accuracy, and elite anticipation throwing (It can be argued Baker has this on his best days but most days doesn't)

Baker and Russell Wilson comparison made no sense at all as Russell had transcendent qualities coming out of Wisconsin/NC State. The road to success for Baker is not the one that DeShaun Watson with his athletic ability and plus ability to understand/manipulate defenses or the one Patrick Mahomes can take with plus arm talent and functional athleticism, and plus pocket feel.

Baker and QBs like him with athletic deficiencies and poor pocket feel at times have to shine at understanding/manipulating defenses in order to transcend things. It's interesting to think about young "Franchise QBs" and see who has those traits. Prescott (1,2 most times but sometimes not at all, & 3), Trubisky (1 and no others), Wentz (1-4 but sometimes each falls off), Watson (1, 2, & 3; occassionally 4 but each falls of hard some games), Mahomes (1-4 with varying degrees of strength depending on the game), Goff (3 and 4 inconsistently), Josh Allen (1; sometimes 3), Lamar Jackson (1, 3 often), Darnold (1, 3), and Baker (3 sometimes and 4 consistently)

I keep saying it: if Baker does not become obsessed with the game, defenses, beating blitzes, how to  set up solutions to pre-snap issues of all varieties, he does not have a shot to be a sustainable elite QB. He'll just be a goldilocks QB that shines some times but struggles in other times.

I hope he wants it. I hope his competitive drive pushes him to master next level Quarterbacking understanding. If so, we'll be just fine and he'll lead us to many victories. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

To be a transcendent QB that can elevate/lift an offense and transcend the situation no matter what really surrounds them a QB needs some combo of a few of: 

1.) Plus functional athletic ability and movement ability (Baker doesn't have this)

2.) Plus ability to read and manipulate defenses (Baker is not close to there yet; many young QBs aren't)

3.) Plus Pocket awareness/feel/strike ability under duress (Baker is good in this category sometimes but a lot of times he sees ghost and flees)

4.) Plus Arm talent, pinpoint accuracy, and elite anticipation throwing (It can be argued Baker has this on his best days but most days doesn't)

Baker and Russell Wilson comparison made no sense at all as Russell had transcendent qualities coming out of Wisconsin/NC State. The road to success for Baker is not the one that DeShaun Watson with his athletic ability and plus ability to understand/manipulate defenses or the one Patrick Mahomes can take with plus arm talent and functional athleticism, and plus pocket feel.

Baker and QBs like him with athletic deficiencies and poor pocket feel at times have to shine at understanding/manipulating defenses in order to transcend things. It's interesting to think about young "Franchise QBs" and see who has those traits. Prescott (1,2 most times but sometimes not at all, & 3), Trubisky (1 and no others), Wentz (1-4 but sometimes each falls off), Watson (1, 2, & 3; occassionally 4 but each falls of hard some games), Mahomes (1-4 with varying degrees of strength depending on the game), Goff (3 and 4 inconsistently), Josh Allen (1; sometimes 3), Lamar Jackson (1, 3 often), Darnold (1, 3), and Baker (3 sometimes and 4 consistently)

I keep saying it: if Baker does not become obsessed with the game, defenses, beating blitzes, how to  set up solutions to pre-snap issues of all varieties, he does not have a shot to be a sustainable elite QB. He'll just be a goldilocks QB that shines some times but struggles in other times.

I hope he wants it. I hope his competitive drive pushes him to master next level Quarterbacking understanding. If so, we'll be just fine and he'll lead us to many victories. 

He did last year. This year not so much.

Holy **** you guys need to watch last years tape and his college tape. I’ll tell you what’s wrong, new offense, crappy line and Freddie trying to implement too much too soon. I’m seeing some crappy routes run. I’m seeing lack of chemistry because of not knowing his receivers. Trust me that’s a thing. 

Good lord it’s too hard to babysit. I give you parents in here credit. So many people can learn from your patience. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DawgX said:

He did last year. This year not so much.

he has had it his entire career last year and all of college. you dont normally see guys great;y become way more accurate of passers or become way less accurate of passes. They will usually stay at the median. Might have some seasons above avg and some seasons below avg

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 5:57 AM, Mind Character said:

Scott Patsco Looks at all 11-WR (article includes ALL-22 view on each)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10/whats-the-story-with-baker-mayfields-11-interceptions-this-season.html

It basically says, baker isnt playing well, and a lot of people are playing poorly around him.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah there was no insight to that at all.

Yeah, it was worth while seeing them, but not earth shattering analyst. 

The int to landry was a terrible play design especially v thay coverage. 

3 men route that all collapse together,  7-8 in coverage and the d line was getting pressure

• Like 1