Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right?  Dude has been prolly chilling for a few weeks just resting and getting his body unf***ed and folks are shaking their heads because he’s not in fighting shape at the end of January.

Give the dude a moment to relax ffs.

Yup. And also, his strength is his ability to throw. If he gets ultra-fit as well, even better, but if he isn't super fit even in June, I really don't care. Extrapolating five pounds into a systemic problem with him as a competitor, QB...just dumb. I have no idea why that narrative got traction on the first place--dumb take. There is no "elite QB body" unless we are talking about Lamar/Cam maybe, and then it turns out Brady is garbage because he isn't fast-twitch outside the pocket 🤷‍♂️--can't win with some.

That said, Baker will likely get very fit and people will have to find something else to run with.

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

ZMDFCeX.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Baker's not the freakish big guy Big Ben 6'5" type who has always been a bigger athlete that had to get in shape. Baker doesn't have Ben's elite athletic gifts to fall back on. Nor is baker the 6'4" Brady who struggled to keep weight on at the combine.

The elite QBs are obsessed with the climb toward greatness. The pursuit becomes a way of life.

Be it nutrition/eating habits or exercise/fitness or recovery or kills/knowledge development all of it matters in the race toward getting to the top of the QB/athlete mountain.

Baker can't afford to needs a team of nutritionists, QB trainers/skills development staff, physiologists/sports performance support staff, fitness trainers, etc around him just like the Brees, Brady, Wilson, Wentz, Watson types. If it's good enough for them and other elite athletes than Baker's got to go all in at some point.

----------------------------------------

As much as I joke, the idea that at some point we'll have to come to the realization that Baker ain't it is truly unsettling...

... he's got to turn it around ... Stefanski, the coaches, his teammates, and Baker himself have to help him get back on track ...

... we F-in needs this sh*t to get back right ... it's gotta work out to the playoffs at least a few years... right?!

Oh STFU already 😂 (not really; get the derp out of your system now).

You're gonna sound so silly in retrospect, but that ego has to die so you may live 💪😇.

Keep poor-taking and then when Baker is in fine shape and plays well say that Baker obviously turned the corner/started to take this all seriously at the 11th hour--bad narrative is bad--and that is why he is succeeding, therefore you are proven right. 

In the wise words of a few proud forum men, lol stahp.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:19 PM, NudeTayne said:

Oh STFU already 😂 (not really; get the derp out of your system now).

You're gonna sound so silly in retrospect, but that ego has to die so you may live 💪😇.

Keep poor-taking and then when Baker is in fine shape and plays well say that Baker obviously turned the corner/started to take this all seriously at the 11th hour--bad narrative is bad--and that is why he is succeeding, therefore you are proven right. 

In the wise words of a few proud forum men, lol stahp.

I don't believe in any of that foolery.

It's not about one year. It's about the career pattern and trajectory.

I think there are wide-variety of things even we as fans can look at and see that Baker may not be the elite, obsessive sports performance athlete in the manner in which we've grown accustomed to hearing about the other greats/historic players at his position.

I do believe and have always believed and stated that nothing fatalistic or has been decided with Baker. Even while people buried him this year, they were wrong and I stated as much.

This past year was rife with markers for potential growth and improvement from a mentality, awareness, and approach perspective.

Only Baker can decide which path he'll take at the fork in the road.

If Baker learns, grows, and sustains improvement it won't be because Baker never needed to learn or grow as he had it all along and it won't be because someone on the internet calls him out... it will be because he took his career into his own hands and decided to elevate his commitment to improving his sports performance and mentality as a way of life.

Edited by Mind Character

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Baker is too short to be fat. Those other guys have size and don’t need to move around outside the pocket. Baker does. He needs to be in peak shape to maximize his mobility. Boy better slim down quick. 

And a few extra pounds doesn’t hurt when absorbing contact either.

He’s more mobile than Manning,  Brees or Brady ever were even at his “fattest” too btw.  

It’s literally a non factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And a few extra pounds doesn’t hurt when absorbing contact either.

He’s more mobile than Manning,  Brees or Brady ever were even at his “fattest” too btw.  

It’s literally a non factor.

Those guys didn’t need to be mobile. They have elite pocket presence. Which baker doesn’t. 

It was noted over the last couple of days that Baker is channeling all the blame for 2019 to him. I don't think that is fair at all. Certainly, he deserves some blame - but the blame game can easily be tossed all the way around last year's team and staff.

But 2019 was the first season, probably since he started playing ball, that Baker struggled. But let's give him a bit of a mulligan here. Who could blame Baker if he truly thought "I got this...." But he was saddled with a rookie head coach in over his head, a ton of new talented players who needed more time than they allowed themselves to mesh, questionable play calling at times..... The league adjusted to Baker and the Browns. The Browns failed him miserably with the constant in fighting among the coaches.

Making the comments he did is a great first step. The coaching appears at this point to be exponentially better, I hope the talent is upgraded as well.

With the proven track record of the coaches now on board, I expect a full rebound from Baker in 2020.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873998-baker-mayfield-says-ill-take-all-the-blame-for-browns-struggles-this-season

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

It was noted over the last couple of days that Baker is channeling all the blame for 2019 to him. I don't think that is fair at all. Certainly, he deserves some blame - but the blame game can easily be tossed all the way around last year's team and staff.

But 2019 was the first season, probably since he started playing ball, that Baker struggled. But let's give him a bit of a mulligan here. Who could blame Baker if he truly thought "I got this...." But he was saddled with a rookie head coach in over his head, a ton of new talented players who needed more time than they allowed themselves to mesh, questionable play calling at times..... The league adjusted to Baker and the Browns. The Browns failed him miserably with the constant in fighting among the coaches.

Making the comments he did is a great first step. The coaching appears at this point to be exponentially better, I hope the talent is upgraded as well.

With the proven track record of the coaches now on board, I expect a full rebound from Baker in 2020.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873998-baker-mayfield-says-ill-take-all-the-blame-for-browns-struggles-this-season

Shh...don't ruin the narrative. Baker is a fat selfish diva in love with himself. He even does commercials.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Shh...don't ruin the narrative. Baker is a fat selfish diva in love with himself. He even does commercials.

People are complex entities with good and bad aspects.

There are those that paint Baker as all good or all bad and neither have a clue of what's what.

He's always taken ownership and accepted blame. He's not in optimal shape and a little chubby. He loves celebrity and has a huge ego. He does commercials. And he doesn't need a QB trainer.

He had a good 1st year; a sh*tty 2nd year; and who knows what becomes of the 3rd year ...

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

People are complex entities with good and bad aspects.

There are those that paint Baker as all good or all bad and neither have a clue of what's what.

He's always taken ownership and accepted blame. He's not in optimal shape and a little chubby. He loves celebrity and has a huge ego. He does commercials. And he doesn't need a QB trainer.

He had a good 1st year; a sh*tty 2nd year; and who knows what becomes of the 3rd year ...

You're still speaking in some absolutes there IMO. That said, I agree with everything but the bolded. I don't see adequate supporting evidence of the first statement in any way that seems especially unusual to someone in his position. He is outspoken--which I love about him TBH--and has been too thin-skinned, but hasn't behaved like Antonio Brown. He's not dating Instagram celebs or Kardashians.

I don't see a huge ego at all. It really does seem like you're singling him out. We all have big egos.

Him doing commercials is weak sauce and you need to let it go. It's a bad take. Everyone who can do them does them. It doesn't take much time to do and does not make it so a guy can't be prepared. Again, bad take. Let it go.

He didn't say he won't be coached. I'll halfway agree that his dismissive attitude played poorly from an optics standpoint. I hope he will accept more help wherever it is offered.

Baker is indeed not terrible or perfect at this point. I stand by this narrative crap being lame, as it doesn't seem fair and leans more toward "because this, probably not the guy".

People are not saying he's not in optimal shape; you are extrapolating that his body fat % suggests whether or not he's committed to being great. I believe that's a bit broad and we don't enough good data to believe that (yet). I hear your points about the QB trainer thing and saying he thought it would go another naturally, but I still see a narrative more than solid evidence--agree to disagree there. He has definitely made some missteps and I see him owning them, not running from them like an AB.

You saying how worried you are that he's not the guy, well, worry less 😂. He's shown a lot and just going into year three. This year is indeed crucial, I agree. But I see a guy who is going to be in the Pro Bowl convo this coming year and it sounds like you'd bet against that--again, agree to disagree there.

Edited by NudeTayne