Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right, the main thing I remember about last season was how much presnap movement there was with WRs always in motion, doing jet sweeps, RB misdirections and everything to get the defense offbalance. This first 3 games of this year I have seen absolutely none of that and its more of just a vanilla slow motion offense.

Would LOVE to know the reasoning behind the playcalling going completely away from what make it so good last year.

They have seemed to have lost the creativity aspect of the offense play calling and I would like for somebody in the media to ask Freddy where the hell it went and how hasnt it been adjusted in 3 weeks of failing with the current offense.

Is it a monken thing? 

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Is it a monken thing? 

I think its a combonation of trying to implement Monkens playcalling style with Freddie completely overthinking it. All of the RPO stuff if Freddie and all of the 15 yard routes with 5 WRs is all Monkens fingerprints

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I definitely blame Freddie, but man....

He has a clean pocket and misses a wide open Jarvis Landry in the middle of the endzone. That’s pop warner pitch and catch.

This is what happens when a young guy has his brain just absolutely flooded. He’s not focused. 

Agreed, he’s got too much on his plate right now and he’s missing basic stuff.

Idk if he’s worried about turnovers or what, but he’s not challenging teams vertically either.  You’ve got OBJ out there, throw some out there and let him go get it.

55 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

What’s wrong with Baker? One thing is he needs better play calling. 

Onto Baker. He needs to learn to navigate up into the pocket better, instead of always bailing out to the right. Which teams have tape on now so if he needs to bail out he needs to be able to go left as well

Especially qhen the interior of our line is actually ok. Up is your help rolling right is not. 

5 minutes ago, zelbell said:

In my opinion, this is the most telling statement, and it's something that many of us have pointed out:

The Browns have been one of the slower-paced teams in the league this season. According to Football Outsiders, Cleveland ranks 23rd in average time between snaps in neutral situations (in other words, when teams are not in desperation mode).

So, basically, to sum it up, here's the issue:

*WAY too much time in the huddle/between snaps

...leads to:

*Late getting to the line of scrimmage

...which leads to:

*Playclock winding down

...which leads to:

*Baker's inability to vary his snap count

...which MEANS

*The defense can pin their ears back and time the snap count, WR's can't motion (can't identify presnap pressure and coverage as one of the tells), AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, Baker can't see where pressure and coverages are coming from with this hard count (more than just trying to get defenders to jump offsides).

IMO, we need to run more of a no huddle offense. That doesn't mean that we have to run a "hurry up" offense (although I think that it would help the tempo of the team), but it will put Baker in more of a position to see the entire field, simplify the playbook, and help us find a rhythm as a unit.

• Like 4

On 23/09/2019 at 11:11 PM, candyman93 said:

I definitely blame Freddie, but man....

He has a clean pocket and misses a wide open Jarvis Landry in the middle of the endzone. That’s pop warner pitch and catch.

This is what happens when a young guy has his brain just absolutely flooded. He’s not focused. 

I actually have find the team quite unlikable through summer and into Week 4 so far.

They bought into the hype and have acted like they arrived before doing anything. The only ones holding up their end so far really are Myles Garrett and much of the D.

The offense (and Kitchens) came into this season thinking they were hot sh*t and well... that is what they have been. But the wrong kind.

Baker has 19 picks since he’s been in the league. The most in the nfl in that time. This would be overlooked some if he and the team hadn’t been quite as cocky as they’ve been. The Daniel Jones thing in particular noticeably turned a lot of people against us, imo. Beckham is an excellent player, we know this, but he has played in one playoff game and bombed out in it.

It’s such a cliche but that’s because it’s damn true. You don’t win the game on paper or with words.

We needed to be humbled and I think we have been. I don’t know if we’ve fully got the message yet because we still have Kitchens pushing back against the media and Baker getting into squabbles with irrelevant ex-Head Coaches turned talking heads.

Just stop talking and play the game without ego. Everyone got really sick of the Browns pretty quickly all of a sudden and to be honest... I get it. I don’t much like our attitude either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I actually have find the team quite unlikable through summer and into Week 4 so far.

They bought into the hype and have acted like they arrived before doing anything. The only ones holding up their end so far really are Myles Garrett and much of the D.

The offense (and Kitchens) came into this season thinking they were hot sh*t and well... that is what they have been. But the wrong kind.

Baker has 19 picks since he’s been in the league. The most in the nfl in that time. This would be overlooked some if he and the team hadn’t been quite as cocky as they’ve been. The Daniel Jones thing in particular noticeably turned a lot of people against us, imo. Beckham is an excellent player, we know this, but he has played in one playoff game and bombed out in it.

It’s such a cliche but that’s because it’s damn true. You don’t win the game on paper or with words.

We needed to be humbled and I think we have been. I don’t know if we’ve fully got the message yet because we still have Kitchens pushing back against the media and Baker getting into squabbles with irrelevant ex-Head Coaches turned talking heads.

Just stop talking and play the game without ego. Everyone got really sick of the Browns pretty quickly all of a sudden and to be honest... I get it. I don’t much like our attitude either.

Yeah a lot of people are saying we are cocky and bought into the hype blah blah but that is just perception which isn't supported by anything. Kitchens said we haven't done nothing... that equals cocky? Baker said the same thing. Yeah Greedy said stupid stuff but he wasn't even in the building yet. There is a difference between media hype and the players and coaches thinking they were hot whatever.

Yeah I know some (Baker haters pre-draft) aren't going to have the same mindset as the rest of us about him and our offense but we should cool it on the dance party they had to celebrate going to the SB prior to the season because it didn't happen. Read the Daniel Jones article, he wasn't negative towards him at all. It's funny that only the Baker haters have issues with him speaking his mind it makes me think a lot of you were lying when you said you were on board and are still feeling down about it... or maybe you just have mono.

• Like 1