Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah a lot of people are saying we are cocky and bought into the hype blah blah but that is just perception which isn't supported by anything. Kitchens said we haven't done nothing... that equals cocky? Baker said the same thing. Yeah Greedy said stupid stuff but he wasn't even in the building yet. There is a difference between media hype and the players and coaches thinking they were hot whatever.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think there's an attitude problem with the Browns.  I think there's an execution problem with the Browns.  Both with the coaches and the players.

Win a couple, and everything will be fine.  Hell, win this week, and the everyone's mood will do a 180.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think there's an attitude problem with the Browns.  I think there's an execution problem with the Browns.  Both with the coaches and the players.

Win a couple, and everything will be fine.  Hell, win this week, and the everyone's mood will do a 180.

I think our offense would be successful against the Ravens defense but it makes no sense to run one offense all of the time. It has to vary game to game and we haven't seen that.

Baker is our franchise QB and has all of the talent and football IQ needed so we don't have to worry about that position for a long time but he hasn't been perfect and he has looked a lot like me out there playing QB (except I'm a lefty and roll to the left) and that isn't a good thing. Designed roll outs are awesome. Being chased out with a guy in your back pocket means you are throwing without setting your feet which can work but you certainly don't want to do it regularly. That's the only habit that I have seen with Baker that scares me so far. Gotta get more quick hitters for 7 yards and see if the receivers can make things happen and then take your shots when the time is right. Can't be looking to take a shot all of the time because teams can take that away and if there isn't another option you are screwed and we see what we have seen so far on offense.

Still just three games though so there is time for the offense to get in sync and still end up with a top offense for the season. Not the start we wanted but as long as the offense starts trending up we should be fine.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah a lot of people are saying we are cocky and bought into the hype blah blah but that is just perception which isn't supported by anything. Kitchens said we haven't done nothing... that equals cocky? Baker said the same thing. Yeah Greedy said stupid stuff but he wasn't even in the building yet. There is a difference between media hype and the players and coaches thinking they were hot whatever.

Yeah I know some (Baker haters pre-draft) aren't going to have the same mindset as the rest of us about him and our offense but we should cool it on the dance party they had to celebrate going to the SB prior to the season because it didn't happen. Read the Daniel Jones article, he wasn't negative towards him at all. It's funny that only the Baker haters have issues with him speaking his mind it makes me think a lot of you were lying when you said you were on board and are still feeling down about it... or maybe you just have mono.

Yawn at that last part. You’re making this personal and getting in your feelings.

I’m not a ‘Baker hater’. Show me one sign of me being that. Apparently if you express any concern or don’t christen him the perfect qb that makes you a hater. So be it.

I dislike this team’s attitude so far and disagree that is unsupported perception. That’s the only thing I’m even close to hating at the moment.

Edit to add: My problem with this team isn’t even focused on Baker, so that’s why your personal dig at the end there has bothered me a bit mate. I know you’re frustrated and I am too. But whether you want to believe me or not, this isn’t just about Baker. He’s a part of the issue but not the only one. It’s on the team. We had 18 penalties on opening day and our tackle got ejected for booting a guy in the face. Watching that game it felt clear as day to me that we overlooked or even outright dismissed that Tennessee team. I wasn’t surprised at all by Delanie Walker’s comments. That’s my actual point, that the team through the accumulation of comments or headlines or what to me was pretty apparent faux-modesty, has painted a target for their own backs. Every team is even more determined than usual to expose us.

I’m all for swag but you have to earn the right to go around portraying that. We haven’t. Not yet.

Edited by Aztec Hammer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

My thoughts exactly.

You’re spot on. I don’t think our focus and attention to detail on offense is nfl caliber right now.

And again, that’s further to my point that our attitude has betrayed us so far. We are trying to be something that we are not and to run an offense that isn’t true to us.

Mayfield should be a quick game, see it and throw it, let the receiver go to work kind of QB. Why are we afraid to run the offense accordingly to that? It’s as if we have an inferiority complex and don’t want him to be seen as a scheme QB, when there isn’t even anything wrong with that.

Like I said the other day, we are running the offense as if he is Patrick Mahomes. He isn’t and that’s absolutely fine. He is Baker Mayfield and he has a bunch of things he is good at and some things that he isn’t. Just like most successful QBs. Apply your efforts to the offense that fits the things he is good at.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re spot on. I don’t think our focus and attention to detail on offense is nfl caliber right now.

Its hard to move the ball and consistently make plays when you either have penalties every other play or poor execution of the play call every other play. All that fun stuff will not work if the offensive linmen miss a assigned block or Baker does not make the correct reads.

I know this has been mentioned somewhere, but I agree with those that say the pace is too slow.  Baker is snapping the ball at 1 every time, and it just seems there isn't a sense of awareness or preparedness.  Get the play in, get to the line, and keep it moving.  We don't have to run RPO every play, or no-huddle, but what's wrong with some play action, some designed roll outs?  Watching this offense is very frustrating!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

You’re making this personal and getting in your feelings.

I'm not, you are criticizing Baker for the GQ article that you obviously didn't read or you would know he didn't say anything negative about Jones.  Yeah, there were tweets out there that added different parts of the article together to make it look like Baker said something negative but they were from different conversations just to try to get clicks and they did because even Browns fans still think Baker said something that he didn't.

I’m not a ‘Baker hater’. Show me one sign of me being that. Apparently if you express any concern or don’t christen him the perfect qb that makes you a hater. So be it.

I said pre-draft Baker hater. You were that if I recall correctly. And no, you can critique him we all know he isn't perfect, no one is but when you critique him for made up stuff (the media, not you) then that isn't fair to Baker or the truth.

I dislike this team’s attitude so far and disagree that is unsupported perception. That’s the only thing I’m even close to hating at the moment.

What attitude? The stuff that the media says? Freddie, Baker and the gang aren't out there telling people how good we are.

Edit to add: My problem with this team isn’t even focused on Baker, so that’s why your personal dig at the end there has bothered me a bit mate. I know you’re frustrated and I am too. But whether you want to believe me or not, this isn’t just about Baker. He’s a part of the issue but not the only one. It’s on the team. We had 18 penalties on opening day and our tackle got ejected for booting a guy in the face. Watching that game it felt clear as day to me that we overlooked or even outright dismissed that Tennessee team. I wasn’t surprised at all by Delanie Walker’s comments. That’s my actual point, that the team through the accumulation of comments or headlines or what to me was pretty apparent faux-modesty, has painted a target for their own backs. Every team is even more determined than usual to expose us.

We fought hard in that game until the 4th quarter when we tried too hard to come back too quick and all hope was lost. We weren't on the sidelines smoking a Lucky Strike telling everyone how great we are. Yeah we struggled with penalties some real some not legit and G-Rob lost his temper. That has nothing to do with us taking the Titans lightly, if we did we wouldn't need to try to gain an advantage and get caught and penalized for them. Delanie Walker is a punk and like you he reads articles and social media and somehow that makes the Browns team culpable for what they spew... it doesn't. The Browns have said the right things, the Ravens who are sick of the hype, Delanie and many fans blame us for being cocky yet it's the media who was cocky and I see no signs that the players bought into anything.

If the mono joke hurt your feelings I apologize, it was just supposed to be funny.

I’m all for swag but you have to earn the right to go around portraying that. We haven’t. Not yet.

The players will be who they are. Baker isn't going to change his personality to fit what people think he should be. He is the same as he was last year. Get used to him. Same with Randall or Kirksey being hyped for the season. I don't know what examples you are using that we are cocky, is there an example you can share perhaps?

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I know this has been mentioned somewhere, but I agree with those that say the pace is too slow.  Baker is snapping the ball at 1 every time, and it just seems there isn't a sense of awareness or preparedness.  Get the play in, get to the line, and keep it moving.  We don't have to run RPO every play, or no-huddle, but what's wrong with some play action, some designed roll outs?  Watching this offense is very frustrating!!!!

They could really take a page out of the Rams playbook. They need to play some hurry up and change the tempo of the offense. Also try some hard counts to consistently keep the defense off balance so that they cannot time the snap count with a depleted offensive line.

Did you see in the last game when the Rams on 3rd downs would rush up to the LOS and snap the ball super quick so that nobody was set on defense? The Browns need to do that. 

It just seems that everyone out there is thinking and not playing fast. Everything is out of sync, Baker is standing behind center for 10+ seconds thinking and trying to read the defense and its forming a really clunky offense where nobody looks like they are playing with confidence.

Edited by AkronsWitness

53 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm not, you are criticizing Baker for the GQ article that you obviously didn't read or you would know he didn't say anything negative about Jones.  Yeah, there were tweets out there that added different parts of the article together to make it look like Baker said something negative but they were from different conversations just to try to get clicks and they did because even Browns fans still think Baker said something that he didn't.

I said pre-draft Baker hater. You were that if I recall correctly. And no, you can critique him we all know he isn't perfect, no one is but when you critique him for made up stuff (the media, not you) then that isn't fair to Baker or the truth.

If the mono joke hurt your feelings I apologize, it was just supposed to be funny.

The players will be who they are. Baker isn't going to change his personality to fit what people think he should be. He is the same as he was last year. Get used to him. Same with Randall or Kirksey being hyped for the season. I don't know what examples you are using that we are cocky, is there an example you can share perhaps?

Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.” I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.” 

To Mayfield, the characteristics of a great quarterback are simple. “Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team,” he says, “or you don't.”

Yes, I did read it. That’s pretty straightforward to me. He comments specifically on shock at NYG taking Jones, then references winning or lack of winning.

The mono thing... no big deal, I just don’t see the relevance there as I haven’t brought up that QB one time. Mayfield’s the QB that matters and has been for a year and three games, but I still would hope I can discuss him as it pertains to the Browns without it devolving to “well you hated him before we drafted him so you probably secretly hate him still and want him to flop.”

I’m not saying you outright claim that of me and I know I’m not a born and bred Browns fan so there’s no way I love and feel for the team in the same way you guys do. But I have spent practically half of my life so far on this forum and supporting the Browns so believe me when I say I’m not in the business of willing Baker to fail just because I didn’t want us to draft him. I’ve suffered not as much but I’ve had my fair share. I just want what’s best for the team and I think that means looking inwardly when it is required.

Anyway, yes, like you say and like Kitchens said, Baker isn’t going to change and if I don’t like it, it’s my problem... until it’s his too. Because whether you think it’s warranted or not, he and the team are tagged as arrogant and everybody’s gunning to knock them down a peg.

Edited by Aztec Hammer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.” I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.” 

To Mayfield, the characteristics of a great quarterback are simple. “Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team,” he says, “or you don't.”

Yes, I did read it. That’s pretty straightforward to me. He comments specifically on shock at NYG taking Jones, then references winning or lack of winning.

The mono thing... no big deal, I just don’t see the relevance there as I haven’t brought up that QB one time. Mayfield’s the QB that matters and has been for a year and three games, but I still would hope I can discuss him as it pertains to the Browns without it devolving to “well you hated him before we drafted him so you probably secretly hate him still and want him to flop.”

I’m not saying you outright claim that of me and I know I’m not a born and bred Browns fan so there’s no way I love and feel for the team in the same way you guys do. But I have spent practically half of my life so far on this forum and supporting the Browns so believe me when I say I’m not in the business of willing Baker to fail just because I didn’t want us to draft him. I’ve suffered not as much but I’ve had my fair share. I just want what’s best for the team and I think that means looking inwardly when it is required.

Anyway, yes, like you say and like Kitchens said, Baker isn’t going to change and if I don’t like it, it’s my problem... until it’s his too. Because whether you think it’s warranted or not, he and the team are tagged as arrogant and everybody’s gunning to knock them down a peg.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/audio/cleveland-browns-daily-8-20-2019

The author kind of disagrees.

Baker wasn’t talking ish tbh.

5 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Yawn at that last part. You’re making this personal and getting in your feelings.

lol the origins of your avy for one